Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / SHape Editor (Vector Collision)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2006 21:15 Edited at: 31st Mar 2011 05:46
Here's a couple of shots of a very simple collision shape editor. The basic editing is working now. The second picture shows the created shape alphed to over the original scaled image. The program is setup to merge various poly lines into a main shape as you add them. So from here i can create another polyline and then merge it with the existing shape. This allows you to hollow things out.

Creating the outline takes about 30/40 seconds. So It's pretty simple stuff ! What's missing is some editing ability of the polyline. So at the moment you can't go back and move a vertex, or insert or delete a vertex.

http://www.playbasic.com

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2006 21:16 Edited at: 31st Mar 2011 05:46

Attachments

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2006 21:47
This looks really useful! Is this compatible with DBP, or just PlayBasic?

Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2006 23:00 Edited at: 31st Mar 2011 05:47
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2006 07:43
looks cool, does it come with some sort of example game where you can drive/fly into other things?

Hallowed are the ori.
Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2006 15:28 Edited at: 31st Mar 2011 05:47
This is just a quick editing tool. However, PlayBASIC already comes with many vector collision (box,circle,shape,sliding,sticky etc) examples. You just have to wander through the example folders. ATM there's about 500 tidbits.

Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2006 18:52 Edited at: 31st Mar 2011 05:48
Still playing around with this, mostly added the editing functions (Add,Delete,Insert,Move). Very tempted to throw a bit of GUI on it. The down side would not doubt be that simple 'as is' tool could easily blow out into be time hungry project. Really don't have time for that atm.

Since this tool is for collision mainly (but I guess you could draw shapes with it if you wanted.) You don't actually (at this time) edit the shape directly. Rather, you edit a POLY LINE list. The verts in the polyline list are expected form a closed concave polygon. These points should be order CLOCKWISE...

Once you have your area defined how you want it, you then merge this Polyline with the collision Shape. You can keep doing this as many times as needed. So you can define various areas that are solid or areas inside areas etc.

It's not most the flexible tool in the world and i can think of a many features that would be handy to have in, that are missing, but it works. Which is a first step

This piccy shows the collision shape built from various polylines, creating a kind of negative shape

http://www.playbasic.com

Attachments

Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2006 23:31 Edited at: 31st Mar 2011 05:48
Version 0.03

Ok, I couldn't let this go out without cleaning it upt. So I've added some GUI elements. Couldn't resist. I've also integrated support for importing those raster to vector (TXT) polyline files. Which is what this picture shows. The import support if far from fail safe, or user friendly at this point, but it's something. Anything more will have to be explored later

I'm going to have to wrap this up within the next few hours. If we are to make the next demo deadline.

Attachments

Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2006 22:48 Edited at: 31st Mar 2011 05:49
Play Shape is part of the new PlayBasic V1.33 demo release.

http://www.playbasic.com/tools.php

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 12:18:16
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 12:18:16