Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Can you start another executable from within a Dark Basic program?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2006 04:17
I'd like to make a front end for another program with Dark Basic, which terminates ends itself and frees up the resources when you finish the last part, then starts another executable, in this case a game made in FPSC. I can do a lot of things in basic I can't in FPS, and could make a good intro for the game. Can I do it in Dark Basic? How about Dark Basic Professional?

Student Programmer
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2006 04:24
Look into EXECUTE FILE in the help files.

New Comers Corner
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2006 18:33
Great! I looked at EXECUTE. Seems like what I need. The example shows executing a program and returning to Dark Basic. I'm thinking, keeping Dark Basic in memory is using a lot of system memory. Since FPS creator programs seem to need a lot of memory themselves, is there a way for Dark Basic to teminate itself and run the other program?
For example, if I do something with some 3d objects and a ground Matrix and textures in Dark Basic I'm sure its using a lot of memory. Can I make it terminate all the memory intensive operations before running the other executable? If not, what kind of memory useage are we talking about with a Dark Basic program. Thanks for your help.

Student Programmer
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2006 21:11
Just use the Execute command to run your exe - it does it in the background, then immediately END. The dbpro program should terminate quickly so long as it does not have loads of images and objects to delete first.

Boo!
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2006 16:35
Quote: "what kind of memory useage are we talking about with a Dark Basic program"

AFAIK, being a DirectX app, your DB program will grab all of available resources by default. This is true of DBC at least.

Using Spooky's suggestion will work, but remember that unless you have written the other exe yourself, you won't be able to return to the DB exe after terminating it.

TDK_Man

New Comers Corner
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2006 22:19
So the idea of using Dark Basic as a save game front for FPSC (written itself in Dark Basic) is a pipe dream?

Student Programmer

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-24 21:25:44
Your offset time is: 2024-09-24 21:25:44