Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / transparency problem with .x file

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2006 18:12 Edited at: 28th Apr 2006 18:13
Hello,

I have a .x model that I have stuck into my game and I got the transparent textures to work using this code:

The problem I am having is that when the plant is seen against the sky I get weird blue jaggies around the edges of the plant:

Is there any good way to fix this? The texture file is a .tga file, but I also tried converting it to bmp.

Thanks!
Matt
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2006 18:23
SET OBJECT TRANSPARENCY has lots of different flags other than 1

Help from Update 6 RC10 in case you have not upgraded;

Quote: "
0 - draw first no alpha
1 - draw first with alpha masking
2 and 3 - draw second which overlaps solid geometry
4 - draw second alpha test (only render beyond 0x000000CF alpha values)
5 - water line object (seperates depth sort automatically)
6 - combination of 3 and 4 (second phase render with alpha blend AND alpha test, used for fading LOD leaves)
"

Try each one until you find best one. 4 and 6 should be best options.

Ideally you should not use TGA but use PNG with multiple levels of alpha transparency.

Alternatively you can turn off smoothing on the texture and use a filter value of 1 in SET OBJECT command, tree will look blocky close up but it it sometimes more acceptable.

Boo!
mbaucco
Years of Service
User Offline
Many thanks! I was using the built-in help so I did not see the additional flag info. Where can I find this new documentation? I have dbpro 5.9, I believe.

-Matt
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2006 18:31
Currently there are only beta versions of new V6 update. Look at top of DBPro forum for RC10 - this is proposed to be almost the final version. There are only a few known bugs in it to do with collision on instanced objects, but if you don't use them you should be ok.

Final version of U6 is probably a good few weeks away as a completetly new help system is being introduced which makes things a lot clearer. Newsletter due next week is to show a sneek preivew of what they will look like.

Boo!
mbaucco
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks again

Just for posterity's sake, I found a value of 2 worked best using a png texture.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-24 21:38:19
Your offset time is: 2024-09-24 21:38:19