Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Ok I'm asking the question wrong...HOW DO YOU MAKE.....

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
How do you make standalone bsp and pak and wads that run through DarkBASIC. I don't want to test them in another game, because I DON'T OWN any of those games. I'm looking for an editor that lets me write my bsp and pak and wad, and lets me load it in DarkBASIC....

How did they make the BSP example for darkbasic? CS? Quark?

All help is appreciated. I've been programming for years, I just need a good two weeks to get on top of this dbpro thing.

Wayne
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2003 17:43
how many more times do i have to say this DOWNLOAD ONE OF THE BLOODY DEMOS OF WHAT YOU WANT TO USE!

is that quite clear enough?

Tsu'va Oni Ni Jyuuko Fiori Sei Tau!
One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
Wayne
Years of Service
User Offline
Raven...listen!

IS IT POSSIBLE TO MAKE BSPS AND WADS AND PAKS WITHOUT ONE OF THOSE DEMOS! STANDALONE GAMES WITH TEXTURES I MAKE MODELS I MAKE LEVELS I MAKE. I go to school for game design, and I don't want to use someone elses media!!!!!!

Am i Getting though?

Wayne

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2003 19:04
grr... i don't think you understand - YOU REQUIRE ATLEAST the demo's to TEST the worlds your work on, as really you should be ONLY using BSP developers FOR the games they're designed for.

It is POSSIBLE to create your own WAD files with Wally (see a below post), it is POSSIBLE to compress to PAK with a Packer Program (search Fileplanet) OR you can using Winzip for PK3 as this is all they are.
It is POSSIBLE to compile your BSP worlds as long as you have the compilers and use the command line to access your levels...

HOWEVER - this would require you using a BSP Editor which exports .map but ALSO requires you to primarily COMPILE a WAD/Directory of textures!
However there are NONE on the market capable of this...

and it ISN'T just the textures you need the games for, you need them to know what Entity sets you can use - as EACH game has a different Entity set!
as the entities are for everything from Starting Points, Doors, Lights, etc... YOU REQUIRE THESE TO MAKE WORLDS

One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2003 19:05
for someone who has been programming for so long it is just amazing that you can't be bothered to do ANY research on ANY of thise... because the internet is littered with ALL the information you require!

Wayne
Years of Service
User Offline
Okn Raven I'm a nice guy, so I'll explain the difference from a programmer and mod maker.

I write my levels in code, I've never used a BSP before, because I can design my own levels from pure scratch! But I wanted to try it to see if I could speed up my perfomance!

For someone who has been programming as long as I have I can say this: YOU NEVER STOP LEARNING. And yes I do research, but the only stupid question is the one not asked. There's nothing wrong with it.

Wayne

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2003 03:14
you're really begining to bug me here... how about you look up what damn company made BSP in the first place - perhaps your question as a programmer will be answered there a little better eh!

and there isn't any different between a Mod Programmer and a Programmer, you're both working around the same things - just because the majority of Mod Programmers don't change the BSP format to thier needs ... DOES NOT mean that it never happens. Sindrial is a very good example of this!
However it appears that alot of you newbies have grown up with the Mod of Counter-Strike and don't understand there is actually another type of Modifications called Total Conversions - which personally is what i'd class Star Trek Voyager - Elite Forces or Jedi Knight2 under... as they changed the model AND map formats for thier needs.
Don't think you need to make a new executable just to achieve this nither, because as mentioned above Sindrial does this also and uses Quake3 like a Mod would!

and if your using DarkBasic then really you're no different than someone who used to TC or MOD for Quake using QuakeC

Wayne
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok, then don't reply, I don't really care, no one forced you to answer, and there is A LOT of difference between programmers and mod writers. No I don't use just dark basic, but i find it easy, and fun to use. Do not reply back, cause I'm not gonna answer, I was coding long before you knew what a cpu was kiddo, so don't take an attitude, I've been really nice up till now, but you are pushing my last nerve.

Don't reply. Don't answer, DON'T DO A GODDAMN THING! (Well you can have a nice day, but that it!)

Wayne

Never stop in the perseverance of knowledge.
The Key to life's secrets is on that road.
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2003 10:21
cmon guys.

wayne nvm raven, he has his moments and this is one of them.

take a break for a while.

Practise making your map in any 3d package as long as u create a closed world space using no hole primitves then when the converter is looked at again for better compatability u will find that process easier and more flexible if u dont want to try the other full blown game editors.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 00:48:31
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 00:48:31