Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Juxta Tempus (sneak preview to current status)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2006 03:57 Edited at: 14th May 2006 23:49
I had no intention of posting anything until end of summer, but received a few emails with inquiries. So,quick glimpse.

Combat Engine complete as well.
1 Summer terrain complete
1 Winter terrain complete
both with sound effects and sprites.

Possible Plan: Work with Lost in Thought, Megaton, Cash Curtis on a unified project to combine our 3 projects for a make shift RPG/FPS.

LiTs Engine has some fantastic Physics that is very desirable for this project.

Juxta Tempus,if it remains a solo WIP by me,has a ETA Demo release for end of Summer 2006.

Unified WIP has no ETA as of yet.

This terrain,displayed,takes an estimated 20-23 minutes realtime at run speed to reach corner to corner, end to end. Average FPS when im not running all my apps in the background,is a estimated 35-40fps.

These screens are what im presently working on and is roughly 15% complete. I will upload videos tommorow or this weekend comming,latest.

X1B:

Coder#05
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2006 04:34
wow.
The pictures looks really nice.
Only thing is that the terrain/matrix texture looks a little to stretched.
You had me looking at the sky for a while, keep up the good work

Still a noob. easy comes easy goes
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2006 04:58
Looks very promising so far. Will be interesting to see how this projec turns out, hopefully it will become a unified project so you can all help each other.

The one thing that stands out to me in all the pictures is the night sky. I'll keep an eye out for progress.

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
(Formerly Yellow)
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2006 05:25
Looks even more amazing than before, and that sky looks completely real.
Nice water effects as well, although there seems to be no reflestion at this piont.

Great work.

x1b
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2006 05:42 Edited at: 1st May 2006 05:48
Quote: "Looks even more amazing than before, and that sky looks completely real."

Thanks Biz, appreciate that.

Quote: "Looks very promising so far. Will be interesting to see how this projec turns out, hopefully it will become a unified project so you can all help each other.

The one thing that stands out to me in all the pictures is the night sky. I'll keep an eye out for progress."

Thanks Mike. ive been at this WIP for a few months now. Expect it to fade while I get Lost in Code for a few months again, on and off.

So far Cash lent some constructive critisizm. The town grass needs to be worn down. I will add a cobel stone path between the buildings and some wear and tare about the houses, later. Its NOT high priority but is noted.

Coder5 pointed out the terrain looking stretched. It doesnt look so in game but will consider it.

The usual hold back,right now, is a Character Modeler/Animator but i am taking a 3DS Max University Course right after my Photoshop CS2 course. 6 weeks to finish and start my 3DS Max.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2006 06:14
Constructive criticism... The buildings need to be lightmaped. They look great, but seem to disrupt the scene without lightmaps.

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2006 06:19 Edited at: 1st May 2006 08:09
It is looking very good. There's always room for minor tweeks and changes, anyway.

Quote: "The usual hold back,right now, is a Character Modeler/Animator "

Just use DarkMatter models as placeholders until your own are done. Sure, it's generic, but they'll do the job. Think of them as low paid Mexican actors that are shooting all of the extra scenes until Antonio Banderas gets there.

Without character models, your development will be held up. And I have to say, using cubes (not that you are, but it's common) as characters does not prepare your game for having them. I've seen impressive cube demonstrations that are pure crap when you actually use a model.

Quote: "Cash's 3D GUI is a very desirable Inventory concept"

Hopefully I've got much more desirable than just that.
The problem that I see is that everything I do is built around my UDT core. My interface, for example, is currently only portable to my game, because of the structure.

One big thing is that I don't use object numbers. I don't know if you do or not, but object numbers are so limiting. Any one of my entities can have several objects bound to them - the main model, a weapon, an emmitter, a bounding box, higher stories on a house, etc.

Here's a sample of the creation of a building. I haven't encapsulated it into a function like I've done characters and items yet, but I will as that will allow me to script world creation.
This code loads three building parts, and creates three bounding boxes. They're all bound to the same building #, and handled accordingly during execution.

I need to finish my first demo before anything can happen anyway, but it's something to consider.

Keep up the good work! I look forward to more. Your environment is wonderful.

Come see the WIP!
x1b
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Constructive criticism... The buildings need to be lightmaped."

They're all Lightmapped,I just been too lazy to add the code. Guess ill do that this weekend.

Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2006 10:34
Looking at those reminded me that the snow code was never optimized (unless either you done it or I did and forgot ). Looking good

Chris Franklin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2006 11:39 Edited at: 1st May 2006 13:03
Awesome Work x1b

Theme park simulator wip boards

x1b
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2006 12:41 Edited at: 14th May 2006 09:59
Quote: "Looking at those reminded me that the snow code was never optimized"

Ive edited it a few times since then but could always use your input.

Quote: "Awesome Work Xb1"

x1b, and thanks Sunrise. appreciated.

Sergey K
Years of Service
User Offline
too low fps dude.. thats not a game..

MyNewSite:http://gogetax.com
Forums(About BLO and more):http://gogetax.com/forum
Chris Franklin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2006 13:42
Quote: "too low fps dude.. thats not a game.. "

ergh yes it is a game your mmorpg only got 30 fps last time i checked

@x1b
Can't wait for the demo

Theme park simulator wip boards

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2006 13:46
Quote: "too low fps dude.. thats not a game.. "

It will be coded so that it doesn't matter what the FPS are, it will run the same.

Plus, it will use LiT's limb culling on the buildings, which will greatly reduce the system load.

Come see the WIP!
x1b
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "too low fps dude.. thats not a game.."

it'll be fine sweetheart,dont get your panties in a bunch.

Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2006 16:11
Oooo, THAT's gonna sting!

I am but mad north north-west; when the wind is southerly I know a hawk from a handsaw - Hamlet, Hamlet
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2006 16:31
that last photo needs some work, but yeah looks like you got some solid stuff there, maybe add in the snow on the ground effect to emphasise the winter.

Syndicate remastered: Corporate persuasion through urban violence.
x1bwork
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2006 17:00 Edited at: 1st May 2006 17:12
Quote: "that last photo needs some work"

Thats going to be my Logo

Quote: "but yeah looks like you got some solid stuff there, maybe add in the snow on the ground effect to emphasise the winter"

....but its raining.... its not a winter scene. youve all seen my winter terrain,ages ago. Hell,its not even the same terrain. seperate zone all together. silly wiggett.

guess you need to see the video. storm winds howling, 4 different random thunder claps,rain sound effects and rain effect.

[edit] ya I see what mislead you. I have my code pointing at a snow dusted, pine tree and not Pine Tree. ill fix when I get home. thanks widgett.

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2006 17:12
ahh sorry i thought u were showing off the winter bit. where is the video download?? let me recheck this thread :S

Syndicate remastered: Corporate persuasion through urban violence.
x1bwork
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2006 17:24 Edited at: 1st May 2006 17:26
None yet,Widgett. I have a video done at home but has no sound. I want the full effect, so redoing to include sound. Thinking I may get off my a$$ and release a short demo as well,this weekend.

x1b
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2006 09:44 Edited at: 14th May 2006 10:23
Sorry for the lack of promised videos and demo. Took a few days to rewrite some code to bump performance and FPS. Can compare the old screens and FPS with these. Still not done before moving on, but here they are:

Im not too concerned with esthetics right now,so much as I am performance. Though I did some minor shadow and fog work.

I'll get to adding the Lightmaps and Sprites(smoke,fire,etc) and GUI, later.

Quote: "too low fps dude.. thats not a game.."

Bite me.

Last Screen post,displayed me. Tonight,it is my partner in crime.
"kovu teh Koder"

Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2006 09:56
30 fps is fine as long as it is smooth. Also I haven't finished the culling code yet (got side tracked with a .epr importer from T.Ed which is almost done). Plus if he adds LOD, bilboarding, and such to it. You have to remember this is not done yet.

Chris Ritchie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2006 16:30
I think it looks great and 30 fps is absolutely fine most video doesnt run any higher than that. Im liking that moon glow it gives a nice bit of atmosphere to the sky and you've got a good draw distance there. Good bit of work mate keep it up.

Lead programmer ULIDIA
Belial Productions
DB newbie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2006 17:22
looks good i liek the water and the sky textures. i meen th esky actualy looks real. and that is a cool staircase in the tower.

Instead of just learning how to program i am also learning how to model in Wings 3D so if you know of any good tutorials let me know.
x1b
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "30 fps is fine as long as it is smooth."

it does dip to mid 20's now and then.

Quote: "Also I haven't finished the culling code yet (got side tracked with a .epr importer from T.Ed which is almost done)."

That'll make all the differnce,come time.

Quote: "
Plus if he adds LOD, bilboarding, and such to it. You have to remember this is not done yet."

What I am soon to do is make the city a zone of its own. should push the fps up from both the terrain and city side of the wall.

Havent began to fuss with LOD yet but is on the todo list.

Quote: "I think it looks great and 30 fps is absolutely fine most video doesnt run any higher than that. Im liking that moon glow it gives a nice bit of atmosphere to the sky and you've got a good draw distance there. Good bit of work mate keep it up."

Thanks Chris. I need about a 40-45fps range as sprites are still to be added and will sink the fps by about 5-10.

Quote: "looks good i liek the water and the sky textures. i meen th esky actualy looks real. and that is a cool staircase in the tower."

Ya,the tower is fun. I run up the stairs and jump off the tower when im thinking. Think i'll place a small pond by the tower.

DB newbie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2006 20:40
Quote: "This terrain,displayed,takes an estimated 20-23 minutes realtime at run speed to reach corner to corner, end to end. Average FPS when im not running all my apps in the background,is a estimated 35-40fps.
"

dang thats huge.

Instead of just learning how to program i am also learning how to model in Wings 3D so if you know of any good tutorials let me know.
x1b
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2006 23:16 Edited at: 15th May 2006 00:17
Im likely to reduce it somewhat. Soon to begin GUI(rewriting it) and LOD. Compiled about 8 pages of LOD notes over the weekend while tweaking engine code to boost FPS.

Im sure many are thinking "x1b..you've been working on the same thing for nearly a year now..."

Yes,you're right. And likely not ready to move on until the end of this summer.

Current plans are(these are always subject to change):
make Citys in self contained Zones
Code LOD
- Resolution (800x600 to 1280x1024)
- Color Depth (24 or 32bit)
- MipMapping
- Plane Clipping(Fog distance)
- Particles Effects (on or off)
- Particle Intensity (alpha,ghosting,frequency,range)
- Model Detail
gradual run buildup (from walk pace to jog to run and decrease back to walk)
Add
- 9 Character Classes. concept code:

- 8 Races
GUI

Alot of other stuff on list but this is what I feel needs attention before anything else.

LiT: Check email.

Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2006 23:25 Edited at: 14th May 2006 23:26
Since I already commented on most of this, I would still like to point out the fact the buildings do NOT look to scale. I keep getting the impression that you are scaling these by hand dude!

Here's a window that looks very stretched:

Also, since the models are being rendered from a ridiculesly huge distance, I rekon it's time I make the super-low-poly versions and you guys come up with a LOD system? No point in rendering those full-poly buildings if they are only fuzzy dots on the screen.

Second, the sky is looking like a really wicked-looking nightscene...but the terrain is bright like it's sunshine! This looks really....wierd. I'm sure you can fix it though.

I am guessing I'll have to be more involved in this now...what's next on the modelling agenda?

edit: Oops you posted about lod a few minutes before I did already.

It's like a Megaton Cat radar, 24 hours a day.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2006 23:34
AAAHHH...

reminds me of Might And Magick VI.

but this is graphical better.

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it was too beatifull to look at...
x1b
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2006 23:40 Edited at: 15th May 2006 02:24
Quote: "I keep getting the impression that you are scaling these by hand dude!"

I AM. They are suitable by default size,mega. And yes,I do need low poly to high,please. You said you're mad busy so dont want to hound you. I have enough coding to do while you clear your list up.

And on the Model list right now is
- New Wall
- LOD models
- 0,0,0 models so I can set in the swinging door code,etc.

Quote: "reminds me of Might And Magick VI."

Make no mistake about it. EverQuest,MM II,Bards Tale,AD&D 1st Edition, are my inspiration.

I, in fact, play MM II on a Sega Genesis just to note items, equipment, mobs, story lines. No,I will not blatantly rip off their ideas but the story lines are nice for mini quests.
I keep all my AD&D 1st Ed books at hand for combat Armor versus Weapon theorys.

Jonny Ree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2006 03:44
Hello, nice screens and progress. I would expect no less from you. I do have some problems with your colors though. They are looking a bit cartoony at the moment. I think perhaps you should go over the textures adding more blue and using less saturation. I've made an example how that may look.

Keep up to good work

x1b
Years of Service
User Offline
jonny and I are discussing the two styles. Can I get some opinions from all of you? Stay with what ive done,change to jonnys suggestion?

it is all of you using this in the end afterall. Not for me to judge what you all should have to use.

Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2006 05:12
I don't see the first one as a "style" really. Jonny's just looks more right!

(Which is what I mentioned in my post too)

It's like a Megaton Cat radar, 24 hours a day.
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2006 05:23
Wow, what jonny did to those screens makes them look like 20 times better. Not to say they looked bad, just that they're amazing after that. I could actualy picture that being the set of a cgi movie. Reminds me a lot of fable, which in my opinion, is the most fun to look at rpg ever, as well as artisicaly impressive. Like a dream, almost. It just makes me want to look at it, which is really how I judge if my own artwork is good.

It makes it looks so much more real, while actualy making it look more fantasyish. Please please please do that.

x1b
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2006 06:50 Edited at: 15th May 2006 06:54
Well,jonny. if you're still down for working as part of the team,ill send you the images files for grass,water and sky.

Though,could use that promised character(s) and animation.

Cash and I spoke tonight,we're going to go over GUI details together and looks like Cash is going to over see the frontend of JuxtaTempus.

Sent LiT the source code to go through and tweak/optimize.

Mega is on the LOD models and new wall (so I can cull it and bump fps a bit more) (and I still need the props set to 0,0,0 before I place them in the buildings)

Kovu is going to take a nap

Steve J
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2006 07:14
Awesome cat. It is like my cat except the same! (I have 2 cats, one looks way different, and the other looks like that cat, except fatter and lazier!

Evil Mods keep erasing my below 600x120 sig...
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2006 09:05 Edited at: 15th May 2006 11:57
Just got home and finishing up this EPR importer from T.Ed to DBO and a .x to .dbo batch converter and then I'll give it a looking over Probably be about an hour or so. I have it all done just need to clean it up and upload.

[edit] Took longer than I thought lol. I need to stop coding sleepy, but it's the only time I have. Starting to look at it now.

Bahamut
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2006 13:51
This is looking really promising. I'm very impressed by the sky, although in a couple of screens the moon looks a bit elipsical.

Awesome work, though. Can't wait for the demo.

IceBound -No, really-We're quite good.
x1bwork
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Awesome cat."

Well thank you. Thats Kovu the Koder Kat. One of our mascots.

Quote: "This is looking really promising. I'm very impressed by the sky, although in a couple of screens the moon looks a bit elipsical.
"

Thank you much. We are all working together (LiT,Cash,Mega, I and likely Jonny as well) to pull this project together.

Thank you for pointing out the moon flaw. Youre not the first to make that same comment and so I will be attended to. Hopefully Jonny can work his sk33lz on it.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 14:19:59
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 14:19:59