Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / help with choosing a software?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
i really want to get into this but am having trouble deciding which software i want. i really want to make an action fps game. hense the name FPS creator im guessing that is the best but would dark basic pro also be good. i want to have more than just shooting AIs. i think dark basic would be better for giving my game a living feel. i dont mide about learing a little scripting, just nothing unbearable that takes a couple decades to master. so here are a few questions.

1. out of all the software (including the world creator sofware) which gives you a larger map, for ex i know there is a sertain limit to how big your level can by on FPS creator.

2. do i have to buy a character shop program to make my own characters, guns, buildings, ext.

3. ya, ill just ask it. which is the best way to go to making an impressive detailed FPS game. which software do you perfer?
Daemon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2006 02:17
2. There are plenty of free modelers. Blender can produce awsome results if you learn how to use it. I still haven't gotten very good with it though.

Here is the link http://www.blender.org/cms/Home.2.0.html

I can't answer the other questions because I have never used FPS creator.

Insanity is just a state of mind
Carolina South
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2006 15:28
I think FPSC would be what you would want. Reason I say this is because by the time you are proficient enough with DBPro to make the kind of FPS game you want to make, you could have made your own custom FPSC-like program in another language.

As far as modeling programs go, if you have the budget I'd say get Gamespace. It does do a great job and exports .x models natively with animations. There are two versions of this program paid and lite but don't let the lite version fool you. It's not that lite. there are some polygon limits but nothing you can't work around for FPS purposes. http://www.caligari.com/gamespace/gsl/gsL.asp

You can probably use the scripting features of FPSC to create most of the 'impressive detail' you're interested in portraying. The visuals are fluff and come much easier with FPSC than with DBPro.

Hope this info helps.

CS

"Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock." - Will Rogers

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources." - Albert Einstein
dennisb
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2006 19:26
I am using animation master to make my models. You can get it cheaper on amazon or somewhere than on the hash,inc website. Probably around 250 dollars. Check it out at www.hash.com Then you need the directx exporter which is 20 dollars. This may be a little expensive just to make game models with but if you want a full movie making package it's great. You model differently in animation master, it is spline modeling so you are not medeling in polygons, but when you export to directx it becomes polys for your game.

I recommend fps creator, especially if you are pretty new to this. I just got it and I think it's great. The more I learn about it the more I like it.

Dennis The Frogman
www.3dfrog.com
Big Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2006 21:24
I knew this would come in handy

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=76255&b=7

Give it a look If you cant find the software that you like from the list ask me about anything in th eartical.

BM

Our aim is to keep the loo's clean, your aim can help.
gamepro10
Years of Service
User Offline
im still having trouble thinking about this though. i know you can create FPS games with dB pro but do they even come close to the ones you can create with FPSC? but then i think i could still buy a world creator and make the FPS games on the DB pro look good. can i buy for example cartography shop 4 and use it with FPSC?
Profit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2006 04:29
fpsc was made with dbpro, so of course dbpro can come close to fpsc (you can even add new features by yourself). on top of that, if you ever decide to make another style of game, for example rpg, you'll be able to make that also without buying a new development kit.

As far as building characters, weapons, etc. milkshape is the way to go. the price is 25$ and when you buy it, you know you're getting a good deal. This software is simple to use, yet provides all the tools you'll need to get the job done.

common people are walking in line.
gamepro10
Years of Service
User Offline
thank you bigman and open froz. i have decided to get DB pro. and then later when i get the hand of it and get a little expieriance i will get a sky editor, ext. thanks for helping
Labyrnth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2006 09:25 Edited at: 4th May 2006 09:29
Get a book for it. They sell one on Amazon and one on The main site here.

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: osu!
Posted: 4th May 2006 09:46 Edited at: 4th May 2006 09:48
Well, think of this.

FPS Creator was made with DarkBASIC Professional. You can download the source to FpsCreator for darkBASIC Professional, for free. Then you could get the Enhancement pack, and compile FPS creator. By doing this, you would not only have the Game Creational engine that made FPS Creator, but you would be able to create whatever type of game you wanted with DarkBASIC Professional also!

So I would suggest getting dbpro and downloading fps creators source code. Then you could alter it to your liking, however, keep backups of it, incase you get too lost, and screw it up. NOTE: The source code is VERY LARGE! After i downloaded it, i noticed that it really was over 20,500 line! Navigating it, wont be easy. But you can still compile it.

I hope that helps.

Here is the link to the source:
http://darkbasicpro.thegamecreators.com/?f=upgrade_5_9
It has a few extra things with it to.

[CODE]

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-24 21:30:55
Your offset time is: 2024-09-24 21:30:55