Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / DBPro RC11, Cloth & Particles Pack and 3DWS Question

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2006 15:12
I posted this over in the Cartography Shop forum but it might receive more attention here:

I'm having a difficult time figuring out the best/proper way to accomplish my task here.

What I'm trying to do is this:

Create a small building in 3DWS (Done), get it into DBPro (Done) and then use the flame particles on torch that sticks out of the doorframe of the building (Problem). The torch was added to the building in 3DWS, not as a seperate model (for convenience).

How do the rest of you determine the point in 3D space that the end of the torch resides at so that you could easily position an emitter, another object or whatever? Is it done by adding some kind of entity in 3DWS or is it done by flying through your level/model in DBPro and recording the approximate coordinates and then adjusting from there?

I can determine the correct coordinates but it takes a lot of trial and error repositioning of the emitter to get it into the proper place. There has to be an easier way.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

CS

"Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock." - Will Rogers

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources." - Albert Einstein
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2006 16:18
create a small loop and perform a checklist for limbs within your model.
each series of polygons grouped is basically a limbed object you can affect with commands like limb position etc.. once you have found the limb in question and placed the flame in this position, raise it a little so it sits over the torch module and you should be good to go.
have a look at the limb commands.

if thats too complicated for now, just keep positioning the flame relative to the model until it looks right, however thats sloppy and wont work for all problems.

If no-one gives your an answer to a question you have asked, consider:- Is your question clear.- Did you ask nicely.- Are you showing any effort to solve the problem yourself 
Carolina South
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2006 16:26
Hmm.

I'll give that a go this evening and see how it turns out.

I guess I could visually change the properties of the limb as I cycle through them to make identifying the one I'm interested in a little easier.

Thanks.

CS

"Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock." - Will Rogers

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources." - Albert Einstein
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2006 16:45
no worries

If no-one gives your an answer to a question you have asked, consider:- Is your question clear.- Did you ask nicely.- Are you showing any effort to solve the problem yourself 
Carolina South
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2006 17:43
One question Indi,

I've had an opportunity to load a model, checklist the limbs and return the names of the limbs. I do not see a command in the limbs section of the DBPro help that would tell me the x,y,z coords of the particular limb.

Can you elaborate on obtaining the result?

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2006 17:44
I forgot to mention, sometimes a limb center point isnt where you would expect it due to user error or 3d application handling so be aware of this.

Carolina South
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2006 17:50
Thanks again

I found my answer. Apparently the help files do not list all of the commands. The help index does.

Much appreciated.

Carolina South
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2006 18:14
Sharing the solution I found today. (Thanks Indi)

All objects would appears as 'limbs' of the original mesh.

Here's the code I used to identify each of the mesh's limbs
and display their 3D coords:

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2006 18:15
great work, feels twice as good since you did it yourself. congratulations, thats the key to a good problem solver I mean DBP coder

Carolina South
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2006 21:45

Well.. I'm not a noob coder (been doing it for a living now 9 years).

I just couldn't think of or find the right commands I needed

I had never used anything limb-related in DBPro yet so I can understand now why it was a mystery to me.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-24 21:39:11
Your offset time is: 2024-09-24 21:39:11