Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / milkshape skeleton firespot

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2006 21:39
Ok. After many and many hours of trial and error i got my chracter to work in fpsc again. I had to use the milkshape skeleton. I had to alter my model for this but it looks ok. Now that I have it in fpsc there is a new problem.

The gun is facing the wrong direction. I am guessing this is because the firespot is oriented incorrectly. No matter what I try in milkshape i can't flip the firespot correctly. The rotate feature is very poor and it seems you can only do it numerically and it messed up the orientation even worse. Does anyone know of a way to correct the orientation of the weapons? Anyone else have this problem?

Dennis The Frogman
www.3dfrog.com
matttess
Years of Service
User Offline
*sigh* lol try rotating the gun in milkshape(if thats wat u use)but if u use fragmotion it tends to reverse the model and animation not sure y hope this help

FOR FREE STATIC MODELS FPSC READY AND IN .MS3D FORMAT GO TO [href]http//:www.free3dmodels.freewebsitehosting.com[/href] !!!!!!
dennisb
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2006 02:27 Edited at: 16th May 2006 14:46
OK

I finally have a solution after about 20 hours of work. I was able to correct the firespot by importing the milkshape skeleton to fragmotion and rotating the firespot bone. This took tons of trial and error until I got it right but my model is holding the weapon perfectly now. I exported from fragmotion back to a milkshape file and the directx 8 export still worked. So everything is well now.

I have attached the milkshape skeleton with corrected firespot for anyone who needs it. The skeleton is facing backwards in milkshape. This is how it has to be so your character is facing you in fspc so don't turn it around. You can not make any alterations to this skeleton in milkshape so you must have a model that fits the skeleton. If you want to modify the skeleton to fit your character try importing your milkshape file to fragmotion, modify skeleton, export to milkshape again. This is tedious but it works.

Thanks to Bullshock 2 for this great skeleton. My little fix is nothing compared to the work he put into the skeleton. I would be totally at a loss if he didnt make this for us.

Dennis The Frogman
www.3dfrog.com

Attachments

Login to view attachments
City of Chaos
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi dennisb

Many thanks for your work here. My model is almost complete, but I would have experienced the same prob as you had you not fixed it.
Many thanks
dennisb
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2006 12:30
It's my pleasure to be helpful.

Dennis The Frogman
www.3dfrog.com
Deadly Pixel Society
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm still lost...

Ok, I know that the skeleton is not a model... Yeah, that's progress... But which of the 2 downloads am I supposed to use?

Looking @ what's written so far, I have yet to understand what I'm supposed to be doing to make a character in MilkShape and animate it for FPSCreator. Er, once again from the top... Step by step...

I'd be so grateful!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Render & Dismember. Dehumanize Society With A Digital Death Deity.
Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2006 09:26
If dennisb rotated the skeleton in fragmotion, then I would use his as that is what I have to do to sometimes even though this can be corrected by useing the JT exporter. I say use dennisb's skeleton and still use the JT exporter.

Deadly Pixel Society
Years of Service
User Offline
What is the JT exporter? I reckon there ought to be a step by step tutorial for MilkShape as I reckon that it's so affordable that if people understood it there'd be more modellers.

Hmmm... I don't know why the creators of FPSCreator didn't provide a facility to make orginal characters as users would quickly get bored of what's there. Or the games created would lack a certain uniqueness.

Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2006 06:17
its one of the .x exporters that's in the export list.

Deadly Pixel Society
Years of Service
User Offline
Y'know... I'm not getting anywhere... Here's a few questions for ya:

What program would anyone recommend for a complete and absolute beginner to learn character modelling?

a) MilkShape
b) fragMotion
c) 3D Canvas Pro

Would I need to purchase a separate animator program? If so what program?

Would I need to buy another program to apply textures?

I'd appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction. I just need to know where to start. Trying to find stuff here isn't easy... When I do, I don't quite understand it...

Cheers!

Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2006 03:05
@Deadly Pixel Society

If you don't understand it then making games with custom media probably isn't your bag. I mean nothing that can be said in this thread alone is going to make you a modeler, and quite frankly were all tired of repeating the same things over and over.

You need to pay attention to what people use....You mentioned Milkshape and Blender. Asking modeling questions on their forums would render(pun on words) many more results to the perspective product.

This wasn't intended to be a professional game design software, though some in the forums are taking it farther then was intended...come on....you paid 50$ for it. If you want to take it to the next level beyond point and click you have to do your homework.

This goes to allot of you people out there. This sites TGC...not Autodesk...not Blender....Not Gimp...(You'll join these forums if you really wanna learn).We often mention in threads, to numerous to count, the programs we use......Hit up Google a little and either show some your media as it relates to FPSC/TGC, or read and keep your fingers from hitting that post button. You guys keep post at the top that are pushing down items that really have more relevance. Now mind you this thread was(key word) a good thread with a member asking legitimate questions about FIRESPOT only to have you hijack it asking for "step by step". If you'd actually made the thread I bet it would have been named "I've got a problem" adding to the woes of the TGC search engine.

And every ones tired of their own media by the time they actually put out a game. I know I myself am way off from output of a game and I'm so sick of looking at my media I could scream. Thats the woes of game making.....This isn't all tinsle town and big money rollin off trucks for a great new game. It's work. And work with an under developed piece of software I might add.
Deadly Pixel Society
Years of Service
User Offline
@Locrian

Well, I actually want to do the work - the whole thing! I want to understand. I'm not familiar with the terminology - yet. I'm not asking anyone to make me into a modeller. No. I'm just trying to find a direction to take. I don't need to be patronized, I'm not asking for a magic wand. I would like to experience what it is to be sick of my own media. I'll decide whether modelling is for me or not.

I can't use much of your advice. It might have been more useful to provide a link to a tutorial or mention a name to approach.

Thanks for trying...

If need be a moderator can relocate this message in order to keep it related to FIRESPOT.

Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2006 21:34
Deadly Pixel Society-

Here is some advice for you.

1. you should pick up a free modelling program to get your feet wet. You may in the end find that you are better able to accomplish scripting or level design rather than modelling. so I recommend one of the following programs.

1) Blender <---my choice
2) Wings
3) deleD

The ones listed above are free or atleast have free versions.

1) Milkshape
2) anything listed on the TGC home page

The ones listed above can be bought for a small fee.

As for the texturing portion I recommend the following

Gimp <---free program (thegimp.org)

This is the only free one that I know of but there may be more out there try google.

2) Paintshop <---my choice
3) Photoshop

These two programs can be rather pricey.
I recommend trying Gimp at first to learn before you spend the cash on a upper level program.

Don't mind the people here they are all on edge. We have had way to many posts about this stuff in the last 3 months or so. If you would like any more help feel free to contact me using the email address in my profile.

RF
Deadly Pixel Society
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks, Reality Forgotten! That's what I'm talking about: No patronizations or condescending crap, just respect for a fellow member of this unique forum! Real help!

But I do understand the annoyance of repetition; it gets so hard to find stuff here...

Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2006 22:50
as with most people here if no one helped me than I would be in the same situation.

RF
StOrM3
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2006 01:47
DPS,

I will try to help as much as possible, as I started this about 13 Years ago, but I still have not forgotten what it was like to get started in the game creation business / game whatever you want to call it. So if you don't understand something I say, or just have a question feel free to add me to MSN using storm3@twlakes.net, and I will be more than glad to help you as long as you mention you are from the fpsc forums.

Okay, to begin with, FPSC is a very very nice piece of software, not at all half done, or any of the other demeaning words some other members are using here to make FPSC seem like garbage, on the contrary it is really well done, and I have tried / and own nearly all the game creation engines / software out there.

Next, for 2D Texture type work, like RF stated, you could use The Gimp, from http://thegimp.org or, another application I particularly like is called PiXia http://park18.wakwak.com/~pixia/ which is very nice, and if you have a drawing tablet or a tablet pc, those two apps are very nice indeed to create any type of 2D artwork you might need for your game, providing that is, that you can manage to draw anything on a piece of paper.

Finally for 3D Modelling, I recommend milkshape3d like the others mentioned available at: http://www.milkshape3d.com/

or

Fragmotion - available at: http://www.fragmosoft.com/

Both of these are available at very reasonable prices, meaning $25.00 or less, and Fragmotion has inverse kinematics /or physics based animation for those less 3d versed people, painting directly onto the model, supports a host of file formats, not to be an advertising bbs for fragmotion, but I own both and actually use both interchangeably, the only reason is I forget about frag, as I have used milkshape3d for so long, but once I find myself saying I wish I could do this in ms3d or that, then I hit myself in the head, and go, doh! I can in fragmotion, and quickly fire it up, and re-import the model in there, the author of frag is a very very nice guy, I have helped him beta test for a while now, and he is very open to suggestions, requests, bug reports etc.. It is already outpacing milkshape3d, with only a few user interface quirks, nothing that refreshing the display doesn't fix. I am not particularly fond of Blender, It may be easier now, but once upon a time, the interface was very hard to figure out how to even create the simplest of models, I don't think I ever figured out how to create a primitive or a vertex in it, quickly left and never looked back, although it may be better now that it is owned by different group, and a whole community of people are working on it now, that combined with the free factor, may make it right for you. Although, at $20.00 you really can't beat Fragmotion, or $25.00 MS3D it might as well be free at that cost for the features included.

Now, to combine the 2D, 3D to make a complete 3D Model, you really need a skinner / texture map -> 3D Model mapping tool, or unwrapping tool whichever you want to call it. For this, you can try to find the free version of UnWrap3D, it is an older free version of the Ultimate Unwrap 3d, tool which now costs, again not a whole lot its like $50 or something, again close enough to free, for what it does. Find Ultimate Unwrap 3D at: http://www.unwrap3d.com/index.aspx

I hope by visiting these links, and listening to my rambling on, that in some way I have helped you and others out. Visit the links check the applications out, have the trial versions a go, as all of them I believe have trials, and if you have questions, first try their forums, and if you still need some assistance, feel free to msn message me, address above or email me at: comedy@pkradio.net

Thanks go to Lee, for making such an awesome app, and I hope this helps DPS out.

Ciao' 4 Now!

StOrM3

[PKE] Pain Killa Entertainment(tm) [PKE]
Pain Brings Reality...
[PKE] Pain Killa Entertainment(tm) [PKE]
JohannesM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2006 09:59 Edited at: 27th Dec 2006 09:59
you bumped it. Good thing that you were helpful though

Attachments

Login to view attachments