Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Sense Rogue: Roguelike game, early WIP. Demo and Screens.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2006 05:41
Well, the title says most of it: This is a roguelike game in the very early stages of developement. I've got a demo showcasing the so far simple combat. Arrow keys move; just try to move on the bad guy to attack. Expect muchly more progress! Screen shot:

Demo is attached. <800 Kb.

Your goose is cooked.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
The admiral
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks like a good start you still have much work to go but keep at it.

The admiral
Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2006 22:04
Rougelike! Yey!

I am but mad north north-west; when the wind is southerly I know a hawk from a handsaw - Hamlet, Hamlet
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2006 18:21
Why that Tag is in the corner?

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it's larger than 600x120...
Flindiana Jones
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2006 22:37
It's the demo version of DBPro...lost the install disk, need to finds that...especially since it threw a hissy fit when I changed the time to be correct.

Your goose is cooked.
Flindiana Jones
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2006 19:59
alright, here's an update; I've gotten the game to have a bit more of a point, and a more complex combat system. For those who are interested, here's the formula;

if strength+RND(skill)+ RND(level)>dexterity+rnd(defense)+rnd(level) then dec hp, damage

that of course is in pseudo code. Any thoughts, comments? The way the new demo works is that there are as many monsters as your current level. Also, the monsters will hit each other, and you're hitpoints will regenerate when you walk around without fighting for a while.
Here's a new screenie!

Your goose is cooked.
tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2006 21:36
Looking good. I love rogue-likes.

Check with David Gervais (Artist Challenge thread) you could probably use some of his media to make it look fancy.

I'm not a real programmer but I play one with DBPro!
Flindiana Jones
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2006 21:55
Thanks for the feedback! I will be getting a 3D artist, to make this full 3D, but right now I'm sticking with "Look ma, I made it in paint!" graphics. Any other feedback on the battle resolving formula? I really want to make sure I get that right.

Your goose is cooked.
Flindiana Jones
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2006 02:00
Alright, here's a list of current features so far, and what is to come:

Current Features:
"Look ma, I made them in paint!" graphics
8 directions to move.
Object dropping enemies.
Survivalist gameplay, fighting wave after wave of baddies.
An inventory system, with two hands, feet, armor, and head as places to equip.
Two handed and one handed weapons.

To Come:

Cool 3D graphics
Better GUI
A story line, spanning tons of rooms and maps.
More types of enemies.
Spells.

Anyone interested at all? If not, I'll let this thread die and just let the game die too I guess.

Your goose is cooked.
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2006 06:34
I'm still lurking here (and on rec.games.roguelike.*) so keep up the good work.
--
TAZ

"Do you think it is wise to provoke him?" "It's what I do." -- Stargate SG-1
outSync
Years of Service
User Offline
I like the look of the game, although I must admit that I think you should avoid going into 3D. At first, 2D seems more difficult than its worth, but it just works for this type of game. Give GraphicsGale a try. Although I'm not a superb pixel artist, I'm pretty decent, and GraphicsGale is a great little program.

Anyhow Good luck with the progress on your game! I'll be keeping an eye on it.

Eh?
Bob da reaper
Years of Service
User Offline
looks really good, i've got a linux distro set up just to play rogue so i'kk play this for hours on end when a demo comes out

I pwn n00bs - current project "Darkness Falls"
Flindiana Jones
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2006 23:28 Edited at: 28th May 2006 23:32
thanks guys!

I'm working on implementing dynamic arrays, but am having a few problems...when I get that all done, it will be new demo time!

And just curious, but how would 3D ruin it? I don't think it will be easier, just cooler looking.

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2006 08:54
3D is easyer then 2D with DBP as what i know.

Crazy Ninja
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2006 11:41
I say keep it up and go for 3D

The nintendo Wii. Okay...
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2006 16:58
The only problem of 3D is there are less free models that can be used in RPG's,its moslty action

Flindiana Jones
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2006 17:19
I'm going to have mainly critters in the beginning, and I think I could probably find a lot animals out there for free...and I have a modeller to fill the gaps of what I can't find.

zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2006 19:29
And, the 3D chat board is always having little on the spot contests, you could probably sweet talk them into make a model or two.
--
TAZ

"Do you think it is wise to provoke him?" "It's what I do." -- Stargate SG-1
UFO
Years of Service
User Offline
Cool
*Thinks of something else to say*

Flindiana Jones
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2006 15:39
Well, once I get dynamic arrays up and running, I will release a new demo. All I need to do is figure out how to iterate through the array and referene each entry as I do so...

Chris Franklin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2006 16:56
Very nice i've been tracking this since it opened just never replyed and i see you got your dbp disc

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2006 17:59
Quote: "All I need to do is figure out how to iterate through the array and referene each entry as I do so..."

What exactly are you trying to do? I can probably help you out. I use UDT arrays, a different type for each type of entity.

Are you looking to do something like that? I set up an array of items, I keep the count of how many there are in each one, then I iterate through each group to my heart's content. You can also do this...

dim char(1) as charDat
game.charCount=1

inc game.charCount
dim char(game.charCount) as charDat

That will dynamically increase the size of the array char. This way, you can spawn new characters or items or whatever as you like. I keep a variable, inUse, that I disable if I destroy the item. Then, I just reuse that array element the next time I spawn that type of entity. I do this because it's faster to skip an element than to resize and reorder a massive UDT array. My charDat array probably has over 200 data elements. That would be a bitch to shift 99 of those over to the left.

Maybe I'm talking about nothing that interests you. Hopefully, it can help you out. Let me know.

Good luck!

Come see the WIP!
Hobgoblin Lord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2006 22:38
you could also do it like so

Flindiana Jones
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2006 01:52
@Cash: That is one of the grossest things I have ever seen, but it works very well!

I honestly don't know what is up with that, but I like it a whole lot...very easy to implement.

@Hobgoblin Lord: Thanks for your suggestion!

Flindiana Jones
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2006 06:35
Alright, hate to double post, but...

It's a new demo! Real combat (though right now you're a bit invincible for testing purposes... ), a drag and drop inventory, and changeing stats. View inventory with "i", and your stats with "s".

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2006 07:58 Edited at: 1st Jun 2006 07:59
This is perfectly acceptable to do...
array count(char())

But I never access functions when I can access a primitive. Primitives are simply faster. An insignificant amount, mind you, but my theory is that if I make every individual part as fast as I can, it will all add up to extra FPS in the end.

Also, I never use the array sorting functions because they're slow. They have to copy every element over into a temp value and then into the new value. It's faster to reuse old elements and skip past the unused ones. The number of elements will reach equilibrium during game-play if the environment is implemented correctly.

Quote: "That is one of the grossest things I have ever seen, but it works very well!"

Haha. Glad it works for you. I left out the most important UDT key from my examples - object. Like, char(i).object. This keeps you from having to use object numbers, which becomes nearly impossible to keep track of in a big game. Every entity's object can be accessed from its array. I also use it to store the references to images, sprites, sounds, whatever.

Come see the WIP!
Flindiana Jones
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2006 15:42
Well, this project is now backburner, because the Retro Remakes compy takes precedence, IMHO. So...this won't be updated for about two months.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 14:20:08
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 14:20:08