Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / UV Mapping: The easy way

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2006 00:07
Ive just come across this site for uv mapping your models. You need to buy Deep UV if you havent got it, to do the tutorials, but it seems to make uv mapping a lot easier.

http://www.zivcg.com/uvtutorial.html

Ill be using this, because right now, uv mapping is really doing my head in. I try to make seamless seams, and I always cock it up.

I think other people should post sites, or help, on uv mapping which helped them out when they first began.

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it's larger than 600x120...
Jon Fletcher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2006 00:48 Edited at: 11th May 2006 00:50
Quote: "seamless seams"

umm, does that phrase make sense?

You dont need a fancy external program such as Deep UV, especially for most custom models going in FPSC, using the Unwrap UV modifier in MAX seems to satisfy all my mapping needs

ofcourse there are those people who dont have MAX, but its the same concept, alot of it can easily be done by flattening on the planes, only for really round models do you need fancy unwrapping tools.

none the less, good tutorial, i think ive seen that one before, i remember that dragon

-Jon

RedCore // www.redcore.uni.cc
SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2006 00:55
Iam just having problems with my female head and hair, Iam bound to have problems with other heads. I cant get the uv's seamless, so when ever the texture is made, the sides dont line up perfect. I dont like having textures that dont look good.

Dodic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2006 00:57
Uv isnt that hard using uwunwarp, once i started with it, i love it

Sig. pics are only increasing the loading time of the threads, so why have them...
SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2006 01:05
UV mapping is easy for simple things, but try uv mapping a person when you are trying to get the head, arms, legs, turso all seamless. I find it really annoying when I try to get the head done.

I wouldnt use that program, when 3d max has a better one, but still its quite fiddely for some parts.

Lizblizz
Years of Service
User Offline
cool can you post a link of the uv program

Dodic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2006 01:15
Quote: "UV mapping is easy for simple things, but try uv mapping a person when you are trying to get the head, arms, legs, turso all seamless. I find it really annoying when I try to get the head done.

I wouldnt use that program, when 3d max has a better one, but still its quite fiddely for some parts."

I use it for arms, heard, legs, everything, for game models, but if you make models for realistic renders then...you better not use uw mapping at all, or textures at all.

Sig. pics are only increasing the loading time of the threads, so why have them...
SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2006 01:21 Edited at: 11th May 2006 01:21
Id like Jon to look at this image and to tell me what he thinks. This is what I have to work with, I have to set the seams up so they are completely seamless when the texturing is done.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Lizblizz
Years of Service
User Offline
can you do that higgins? post a link to the program please

Jon Fletcher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2006 02:52 Edited at: 11th May 2006 02:55
*hint: weld the UV's where seams are if you planar mapping

Quote: "UV mapping is easy for simple things, but try uv mapping a person when you are trying to get the head, arms, legs, turso all seamless. I find it really annoying when I try to get the head done.
"

starting with a base layer (e.g. undetailed skin texture) may help and do it all at once, not seperately, and if you can, put the UV co-ords as close to the other side as possible

another option (which i could highly reccomend) is to make the face texture first, before the Unwrapping UV's, then when done, you can just align the UV's with the texture

basically 'fake' unwrapping, using just planar

im not really an expert at UV mapping, in fact, in my time modelling, i have never truly flattened a UV map

-Jon

Armoured slug
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2006 03:12
Uv mappings a pain, its got to be the only woe in modeling for me, that cant be lived without.

If your after some outside uv software to ease the pain you should take a look at Unfold3d,
http://www.polygonal-design.fr/e_unfold/index.php

But if you want something a bit cheaper and less snazzy you could try uv mapper pro,
http://www.uvmapper.com/

If its seamless your after then you cant go wrong investing in Bodypaint 3d, say farewell to those nasty seams!
http://www.bodypaint3d.com/

But if your after something the same as Bodypaint and a bit cheaper then take a look at Blacksmith 3d,
http://www.blacksmith3d.com/

Hope some of these help you and anyone else out...
SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2006 04:40
Thanks for the links slug.

Jon, what kind of uv maaping do you do? I thought I had the same style as you.

Lizblizz
Years of Service
User Offline
higgins post a linkj of that uv mapping thing the deep uv i want to take a look at that program

Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2006 09:36
Quote: "You need to buy Deep UV if you havent got it, to do the tutorials, but it seems to make uv mapping a lot easier."

Are you kidding..... Deep UV costs a small fortune.

I do recommend this one: http://www.unwrap3d.com, cheapest of them all and has about any file format you need, this one is especially designed for game uv mapping. It imports animated models also.

Keep in mind that most of the ones that Armoured slug recommended have been created for Poser, that means they can only read/write a few file formats, some of them only .obj. Bodypaint 3d can handle a lot of model formats, but you're only paying 600 euros for it....

Couldn't check out Unfold3d, the weebsite is down.

http://www.gamefun4u.nl/index.html
GameFun4U, the ultimate funtainment. Cool Games and Resources for your own games.
Jon Fletcher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2006 17:17
Quote: "Jon, what kind of uv maaping do you do? I thought I had the same style as you.
"

by the looks of that screenshot, the same as you, just the Unwrap UV modifier, it seems to suffice

There are some tools in the UV editor that might help, e.g weld UV

-Jon

SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2006 17:34
I do weld the uv's, I have problems finding out where the little bits that like to detach from the main uv’s reattach to. Right now, on my 60’s hair style woman, I am having little problems getting the face uv mapped. I had a think last night and I might have the solution to get this done. I am trying to unwrap the whole head so it’s a strip, which in turn will let me texture it so its seamless. But, I cant texture, which is why I have my friend helping me with that part.

SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2006 19:27 Edited at: 11th May 2006 19:28
Hmmm, I seem to have got some nice uvs now.

Attachments

SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2006 20:54
I dont need stand alone software now, Iam fine with Max's UV mapper.

SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2006 23:00 Edited at: 11th May 2006 23:00
Well, even though I had some of my uv's done, I had area's which where not seamless.

Jon, look at this image and tell me if you would get stressed thinking which parts go where. I know that the uv editor tells you where each bit is ment to go, but its getting it flaterned out which is the pain.

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/xt/xt_apollo_pic.php?i=874986

Attachments

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2006 23:11
Wow. That looks hectic.
Im sorry I've had you stressing over the seamless UV's dude. I can see now why it's such a mission!!

"Guns for show, knives for a pro."
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2006 00:11
Quote: "Here is a site with a pretty good FREE Uv mapping program. There is also one that makes model texture templates for similar objects and characters:
http://www.royriggs.com/mapmagic.html"

Same problem as most of the others mentioned, it does .obj only, since it was created for use with Poser in mind.

GameFun4U, the ultimate funtainment. Cool Games and Resources for your own games.
Armoured slug
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2006 00:53
Sorry Ben A, need to correct you there,

Just because they use the obj format does not mean they are directed at Poser(which most are not). Obj is a widely used format in alot of production pipelines and most 3D software has obj as an import/export option, hence it being used by most of the software above.

Higgins,

Not sure if you need them(or seen them), but you should check out Low poly character series: Uv layout vids on;
http://www.poopinmymouth.com/tutorial/tutorial.htm

He uses Max and his vids give plenty of tips and teqs.

Goodluck
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2006 01:00
Quote: "Just because they use the obj format does not mean they are directed at Poser(which most are not). "

Actually most of them are. I've been using Poser since version 2 and most of the links given here are applications created by Poser users to make UV mapping easier for use in Poser. Some of these creators I've know for years now.

SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2006 01:07 Edited at: 12th May 2006 01:08
Iam working on the head now, the only problems left, is to get the top of the head, sides and underneath of the hair seamless. I also have to watch my rats running around my feet

Lizblizz
Years of Service
User Offline
umm am i a wall? higgins can you post a link to that uv program please

Jon Fletcher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2006 01:35
i dont really bother flattening the maps, that screenshot shows why, i do it one by one on the planes and use trial and error to get seamless results, it may take long, but hey, once its done, its a relief texturing it

-Jon

SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2006 01:39
Fancy posting an example Jon? Because the way Iam doing it now, the back of the head and some other bits arent easy to attach to the rest.

Jon Fletcher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2006 01:42
thats the thing, i basically do trial and error, luckily i get the right results as most editing of skin is just the shading.

i'll see what i can find...not sure if it will be useful though...

-Jon

Lizblizz
Years of Service
User Offline
Forget It!

Tom0001
Years of Service
User Offline
Looking good so far, Higgins. How about an example, Jon?

Tom

SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2006 00:10
I need some help, if you can Kon, Iam getting fed up right now with these UV's.

Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2006 01:00
Higgins, if I may. Allow me to have the model your working on and I'll write a tutorial up for techniques in 3dmax and lowcost/free progs. Not only Could this be of help to the community but you'll get your model done free or at least shown exactly what to do.

Belive me I dont need your models but if I'm going to do this tut it may as well be with your low poly model. I'll check back tonight and see if you've posted to me.
SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2006 01:16
I will, but I dont want my model getting out so people on the forums show up in a few days saying "I made this model, its mine, I fully made it" Just like Zizaco did with Jons model, I wont be as cool as he has been if My model gets in the hands of these forum members for free.

E mail me about it and ill get the model sent.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 10:30:31
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 10:30:31