Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / nOOB in search of answers

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm a web/flash developer that just picked up darkbasic. I was attracted by it's ease of use(i.e. I'm a multimedia designer not really a programmer). Right now I'm trying to set up a game similar to animal crossing or Harvest Moon. Something more about social living than a kill spree. Does any super intelligent computer nerd on this forum have ANY suggestions on how to go about starting this??? I'm at square-zero right now with a crappy previous flash moch-up and a sketch pad full of drawings.

Any sort of small game source code examples will help. or any URL's tuorials, etc....just need to be pointed in the right direction.

THanks GUYS!!!!
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2006 19:59
Oh... so you're calling us all nerds, great way to start off on the forums

Anyways, your best bet is to look into learning the very basics before you concider starting on an Animal Crossing game, since you havent provided any details on your past experience with DBP (Have you read any tutoriasl, have you made any simple programs, etc?), Ill write the next "step list" assumming you've literally just picked up DBP and posted this.

1. Read over the tutorials that come with DBP
2. Complete the example programs that come with DBP.
3. Look at the stickied thread at the top of the Newcommers Corner board called "Tonnes of Tutorials for Newcommers", and complete as many of them as you can. If you get bored, move onto another.
4. Make a few basic games of your own, nothing big, perhaps running around dodging boxes, or completing a maze, something of that nature.

That should start you off fairly well for your programming experience, once you've got a few of those covered Id recommend making about 50 more mini-games, but since thats unrealistic, I guess Id have to say begin programming the animal crossing game, asking questions along the way like you have here, but with the knowledge that you probably wont finish the game the first time round, as this is what usually happens to a lot of programmers.

IMHO the best possible way to learn how to program in any language is to make one master program, containing everything you've learned. This teaches you how to incorperate methods of programming you've learned into 1 game instead of just copying and pasting, and in the end you have a fairly large and usually fun game full of awesome randomness.

As far as beginning on the actual games goes;

- Setup the main player movement/camera orientation first.
- Usually the next best thing to get out of the way with is collision with other objects.
- Add in some basic A.I
- Work from there (I cant suggest much since I havent played animal crossing or harvest moon before).

Though you'll soon find most people wont usually offer large code snippets to you when you dont show any signs of progress/effort on it yourself (not trying to be mean, just a suggestion).

- RUC'

Panda lover
Years of Service
User Offline
Yer butstill tkae being called a nerd a compliment ...okay i am a bit weird butstill yer you need to look at the basics and hten gradually build up but it shouldn't take u too long to pick it up
jawchild
Years of Service
User Offline
thanks for the input guys, I've been looking into this language more today and finding it VERY different from flash. For some reason I thought it would be a similiar environment.

I've gone through the basic tutorials already, I'm just having trouble finding a starting point. I'll post later once I get a better understanding of the community (no short cuts once again I guess).

....oh, and as for the whole nerd thing, it's practically a compliment anymore.

Thanks again for the input.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2006 07:51
He might be a noob(his own words), but his grammer is better than Panda's.

Quote: "super intelligent computer nerd "

thankyou.

I'm afraid I haven't heard of either of the games you mentioned, so I don't really know what direction to point you in other than what Ruccus has already said.

Tobo
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the thread title.

D'oh!

(more descriptive please)

T.
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2006 14:42
Its funny, you're likely to get more/better quality answers to a question by searching "n00b" than searching an actual phrase from your problem these days

jawchild
Years of Service
User Offline
don't be a noob Ruccus, lol
Tinkergirl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2006 16:03
Code eh, for Animal Moon/Harvest Crossing.

Well, you may find this link useful - it's to the Open MMORPG Code Snippets thread.

Contained are links to code for Cow (and other herbivore) AI, foliage, fruit tree code (growing apples, falling fruit, rotting etc) and other nice things. Could be useful to learn from, and it being from the Open MMORPG, it's all free to use as you wish.
jawchild
Years of Service
User Offline
this is cool, THANK YOU Tinkergirl

Is the MMORPG a darkbasic programming project though??? C code is greek to me. Unless it's coldfusion or Actionscript, I'm a lost noob
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2006 22:55 Edited at: 15th May 2006 22:55
Its all Darkbasic Pro, with the exception of using a few free plugins I believe (that anyone can get).

Sorry Tinker, still haven't contributed anything to that project

Panda lover
Years of Service
User Offline
nothing wrong with my grammer

but ther again i'm blonde and i live in the black coutnry so i naturally have ba grammer
RadiusOFT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2006 04:15 Edited at: 16th May 2006 04:17
lol panda you live in black country? Im afraid i've never heard of such a place, oh and all in the name of fun here is a list of all your misspellings - yer, hten, ther, black(i belive),coutnry,and ba.

Do or do not... there is no try -yoda
cats fit best in a george forman - not yoda
Slayer93
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2006 04:37
Here is a cool site with all the tutorials that were made by people here http://members.thegamecreators.com/tutorialcity/

Hope that can help you out.

NARUTO IS THE NINJA.....not really

WIP...4 Elements
Panda lover
Years of Service
User Offline
hehe the black country is Wordsley in WEstmidlands which is somewhere in thewest of u.k.
Tinkergirl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2006 01:35
I live in the Black Country, you've no excuse, Panda lover.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-24 23:20:38
Your offset time is: 2024-09-24 23:20:38