Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

The 20 Line Challenge / Yet another rules question.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2002 13:31
Do labels count in the 20 line limit?
System Specs: AMD Athlon 1700+ XP, GA-7VRX motherboard, 128MB DDR RAM, GeForce2 MX400 64MB VRAM
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2002 15:30
Good question - I'm going to go out on a limb and say "no" to this, because technically they are not commands and not variables either. What do other people think?

Cheers,

Rich

"Gentlemen, we are about to short-circuit the Universe!"
DB Team / Atari ST / DarkForge / Retro Gaming
ChipOne
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2002 18:14
hrmm....this might open a can of worms. what about function declarations? or for that matter, case::endcase? what about commands that have to be on one line or the program won't compile/work properly? i think that if we try to split hairs and make some things one way and others the other we might be losing the premise of the comp, no?

btw, if you're using labels you need at least two statement (gosub/return or goto/goto) and you can't pass variables. why not use functions?

-= i only do what my rice krispies tell me to do =-
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2002 22:46
I class a function as a command though, it's not a label. Equally it's not a variable in that you can't actually do anything with it other than go there. I do agree that they are not very useful in a 20 line compo though More comments needed before I decide eitherway.

Cheers,

Rich

"Gentlemen, we are about to short-circuit the Universe!"
DB Team / Atari ST / DarkForge / Retro Gaming
Milamber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2002 21:45
Just asked because I saw someone using a label and goto instead of a do:loop set.

System Specs: AMD Athlon 1700+ XP, GA-7VRX motherboard, 128MB DDR RAM, GeForce2 MX400 64MB VRAM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 12:34:49
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 12:34:49