Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Newbie question - want to see if I can make the game I want before I buy

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2006 21:33
Hello. I'm thinking of buying Darkbasic Pro after reading about it in a magazine a couple of months back.

Before I make a purchase though, I'd like to check to see if it will make the game I'm looking to design.

I used to play crown green bowls (don't laugh!) and for years I've wanted to be able to programme my own bowls game (either crown green or flat green).

What I will need is to be able to create the effect of the bias on the bowls and also the collision detection / physics the determines where the bowls go once the collide - similar is suppose to a pool / snooker game.

Is this possible within Darkbasic?

I don't expect it to be easy, but I'm willing to put the time and effort into learning.

Appreciate your help.
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2006 22:26
Quote: "I'd like to check to see if it will make the game I'm looking to design"

it can handle whatever you're capable of.
Remember its a programming tool to make full-blown executables, its not a point and click, drag and drop affair.

Ant
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Darkhorse

Welcome to the Darkbasic Forums, I don't know how much you know about programing, But I can whole heartedly recommend Darkbasic Professional and suggest that if you purchase it, you should also purchase the book Hands on Darkbasic Pro Volume 1 if your new to programing.
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Bias on the bowls is possible. Really it's a matter of slowing the bowl down over a period of time, and leaning it to the side, and then use a calculation to say that the more the bowl leans to the side the faster it turns in a certain direction. Just a matter of trial and error, unless you are a super mathematician who knows the exact physics.

Darkhorse
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2006 20:04
Thanks for your replies.

I've ordered DarkBASIC Pro, and it should be here in a few days.

Went looking in Waterstones in Manchester today for any books on DarkBASIC but I couldn't find any, so I'll have to order one off the net.

I don't have any experience at all at programming, except a few small things in BASIC years ago (ie ZX81 era) and a bit on QBASIC on the PC.

Whilst I've been at work today, I've been making a list of all the things I will need to sort out for my game, such as the graphics, the friction of the bowls on the grass, how to keep the score, how to determine which bowls are the nearest etc.

After spending a little time doing this, I'm starting to realise that this is going to be a lot more complex than I imagined.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear that DarkBASIC is limited only by my skill and imagination.

You'll no doubt be hearing from me quite a lot on this forum one it arrives.

Does it come with a reasonable size manual with plenty of tutorials, or will I really need to get most of my initial experience from the tutorials on this forum?
Ant
Years of Service
User Offline
Glad to hear you've decided to buy Darkbasic Pro, good move.

I myself have owned Darkbasic Pro for a couple of years now but had no previous experience in programing at all, and I must say I struggled like hell to get my head round just the very basics, but with alot of help from everyone here and reading manuals which bought, I am slowly beginning to grasp the fundamentals of the language ( well I think I am. lol )

I purchased:

Beginner's guide to Darkbasic Programming by Jonathan S. Harbour
which teaches the use of 2D and 3D commands, and covers mostly everything you need to know about the commands used in the language. A bit fast paced for the beginner, but an excellant reference manual.

Hands on Darkbasic Pro Volume 1 by Alistair Stewart which is dedicated to 2D commands and is a self study guide to programming in Darkbasic, I must say I'm impressesed with it, and it has taught me alot, although I don't get that much time.
So I'm still only half way through it yet, but if you have basic knowledge of programming you could probably wait for Vol 2 to be released, which is very soon, which covers 3D and would probably be more appropriate for the game you have in mind.
sneaky smith12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2006 01:41
You will find that previous experience with QBasic will help a lot.
I refer back to it as much as possible, becuase well it makes more sense now that I all ready have that programmed(yes pun very much intended) in my head.

It is a good move to get the Pro version, becuase not only does it give you access, but it makes it so much easier to get to the lower levels in programming.

This meaning like if you used the POKE commnad.

If at first you dont succeed, LOWER YOUR STANDARDS.
Kenjar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2006 11:00
No! Don't do it! Don't Buy it! Nooooooo!!!!

Just kidding. Glad to hear someone else is joining the community.

Darkhorse
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2006 20:22
It arrived yesterday, but I've not really had chance to really look at it yet. Took the manual to work today and I also emailed myself one of the tutorials to read.

I've found the basics ok, but even some of them I found quite complicated.

Think I'll put my ambitions of making a 3d Bowls game on hold for a little while until I've gone through all the various tutorials and got myself a decent book to learn from.
tippy1000
Years of Service
User Offline
I too, an a newbie in the forums. I have had DBPro for a while now and I havent used it much. Time, money, work, divorce,....etc!! But I would have to say that you should get it. You shouldn't spend your money on the Beginners guide to game programming(I bought that book) Not realizing that it is geared toward DBClassic.
It is frustrating, and yet fun. Listen to the guys on the forum. No one is here to try to mislead you. They all have bright, intuitive, and cunning ideas to help you out with learning the language. I would probably suggest that you but the Hands on DBPro Vol 1 book though I havent. Cant afford to right now. But, welcome to the community you will have lots of fun if you have the time to invest,....and remember practice practice practice

Ed
Darkhorse
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2006 20:27
I've ordered the Hands on DBP book Vol 1.

I'll probably not do anything until that arrives, then gradually work my way through it.

I'm not expecting much to start with, but like most people, I am eager to progress.
Darkhorse
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2006 16:38
I've also decided that I think my game will just be a top down 2d game. Certainly the 1st version anyway.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-24 23:26:35
Your offset time is: 2024-09-24 23:26:35