Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / TRADE music for code (3d motion help)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi, my name is James and Im a professional song writer and I grant whoever helps me, free, original, professionally recorded music for games...any format you want(mid,mp3,wav...)

On to the request. I am no good at mathematics, yet I am trying to create a flight simulator type game, where futuristic cars fly through a city.

the car should be able to strafe (with slight banking/roll)
pitch to 90/-90 degrees (using mouse)
and turn with the mouse (slight banking/roll)

It seems impossible for me, but to someone else it's moderately difficult, so if anyone can help me and wants some free music, contact me via email, reply, or message me on YIM!

ps, there's probably a lot more I need to explain, but I need to know if anyone is willing first.
Mr X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2006 11:36 Edited at: 29th May 2006 11:36
Does this mean that you want everyone else to do the job for you? We will help you here for free, but not code for you even for music (at last I wont). There is n huge difference. So you dont need to "pay" us. We will help you anyway.

And about that strafing thing, its easy to strafe. Just turn 90 degrees at the direction you want to move in, move a few steps, and then turn back. How to create the roll effect, Ive no idea. But I hope this will help you.
Citizen James
Years of Service
User Offline
YEAH I want somebody to code it for me. And of course straffing is easy. It's as easy as:

but that's not what I want to do. I want the object to gradually lean to the side as it moves sideways.
Anyway, I am offering something in return for some to do the work for me. Is that so wrong? I dont see it immoral or degrading. So if anyone is good at the physics and motion, help me out.
Mr X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2006 12:45 Edited at: 30th May 2006 12:46
The method I told you function in both DBC and DBPro, and I didnt know which your using, but now I know you are using DBPro. Anyway, you can z-rotate the ship a bit (that should make so the ship leans at the direction you want, dependent of which value you rotate the it with).

Personally I dont like when someone tries to make so others do the thing for him/her, no matter if they get music for it or not. Its lazy, the work is not a real work since you didnt do it, and its not fair to everyone else who tries to make the code our selves. But, as I said before, we will HELP you for free, but not CODE for you. There is an huge difference. And besides, you will get more help if you just ask for the help and not for the people here to do the entire project for you .
Tinkergirl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2006 13:58
I don't have a problem with what Citizen James is doing - it's simply a barter system where he's offering music in return for someone helping him out with a coding problem. If he can't ask here (and be kind enough to offer music to the generous person who helps) then where can he ask?

Citizen James, I'll see if I can help you out (it'll have to be later, I'm at work right now) but it's not something I've coded specifically before. Is this first or third person camera?
Tinkergirl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2006 16:07

A work in progress - no mouse control in yet, but the roll as you strafe is in. Arrowkeys to move, the camera is stationary because I don't know if you want third or first person yet.
Citizen James
Years of Service
User Offline
thank you thank you thank you tinkergirl! im gonna try the code out now.

It's not so much that Im lazy, obviously Im willing to do work for work in return, but the math bits give me a headache and what better way to learn than to see working code and tweaking it to make it do other things?

Besides, while I posted this, I already starting working on some other test motion and am getting a hang of it pretty fast. Although I started with DBC, I dont know anything of vectors and such, but with the help of tinkergirl's code, I may be able to see it in action. thanks a bunch again tinker!
Citizen James
Years of Service
User Offline
ok ok awesome code! very clean and understandable. If you want, you can help me add picth and such so the vehicle can move on z axis too. kinda like aircraft. Im gonna study the provided code and see if I can implement it myself, but if Im lame and cant figure it out, I'll holler, lol.

So Tinker, do you have any projects that need music or soundeffects or anything I have a demo of a score I wrote and a rock song I wrote here: www.audiostreet.net/ariaofaprophet it will be the first song called "Lacey's song". It's a score/symphony I made for an indie film that never got published.
Citizen James
Years of Service
User Offline
oh, and I want it to be first-person with the camera inside a cockpit model.

Also, mouse control for pitch and turning would be greatly appreciated, and like I said, im trying to figure it out for myself now that I have something to work with. Thanks again!
Citizen James
Years of Service
User Offline
well while I was waiting for someone to reply, I started working on it myself and this is the kind of thing I came up with

but it has lots of problems. I posted a different thread about my problems with this code that I cant seem to figure out. Mostly Im having trouble getting the camera to follow the angles of the ship. At one point I had the camera to follow the ship exactly, but the controls were still messed up. Like you can fly out and roll the ship perfectly, but if you go sideways and pull up to turn (like normal airplane turning), the more you turn back towards the direction you came from, the rolling get's messed up, and if you face completely backwards and face 360 from how you started, the roll is completely backwards (you move the mouse left and the ship rolls right)and I cant figure out why.

also, Im proud that I figured out how to use the mouse scroll button as a throttle by myself LOL

controls: strafe and move slowly foward and backwards with arrowkeys, and pitch and roll with mouse, mousez scroller is throttle
Cigaboo
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi, James. I'm a newbie db programmer, so I can't be much of help with your code. I just wanted to mention I checked your music site out and you are a really good musician - definitely a valuable asset to games that many of us aren't skilled at.
StevieC
Years of Service
User Offline
I'd help, but it's a touch beyond me.

But I just thought I'd say I like Lacey's Song. Lots of dynamics in there, I've written a lot of music myself!

Steve

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-24 23:28:40
Your offset time is: 2024-09-24 23:28:40