Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / What other software will I need??

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I am thinking about purchasing DarkBasicPro and I am wondering what else i will need to make 3D games.
I have been reading loads of reviews by peoeple all over the web and it leaves me with the following questions:

1. I want to create a strategy game that has a screen layout simialar to SimCity (But of course not so complex, I am realistic!)
But simialar to SimCity, I want to be able to scroll around a 3D tilted landscape with moving objects. Is this possible with DBP or does it only support certain types of games eg platform or FPS?

2. I know that the DBP package will not contain the type of 3D models and landscapes I want to use in my games, so what will I need to create them ie what modelling programs?

3. can you make your own sound effects to use in games?

4. Is it possible to create and use photo-realistic graphics?

5. Are there any major things that are not possible when creating a game that would be possible with say C++ ?
Tinkergirl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2006 18:42
1) DBPro is a programming language, and it will let you make any kinds of games that you can see to program with it. 2d, 3d, space, platform, puzzle, strategy, rpg - these can all be done. Its up to you and your skills.

2) If you take a look at the 3d Chat board, you'll find a sticky post at the top that gives links to various different 3d modelling packages. There are several out there (some are free) and it's best you take a look at several before deciding.

3) Yes, you can put your own sounds and music in, as long as you have the files. DBPro will accept several different file formats, WAV being the simplest.

4) Photorealistic? Come on now - you said you were realistic Photorealism is entirely dependant on your aims. If you want to have a photorealistic unmoving dice on a table, you could do it - if you want to have a moving city - then no, there's just too much going on to support that with current technology. Also, creating photorealistic media (graphics) is a massive undertaking in and of itself - unless you know of some professional caliber 3d artists, you shouldn't aim for photorealism.

5) The main advantage to DB is speed and ease. Creating MASSIVE projects will be difficult to organise, and certain programming styles (object orientated) will be either impossibe or hard to bodge. If you want a hybrid solution, look to DarkGDK - it's half DB, half C++. However, if this is your first try at programming, DB may be easier to pick up.

Hope I helped.
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2006 18:56 Edited at: 29th May 2006 18:56
Quote: "If you want a hybrid solution, look to DarkGDK - it's half DB, half C++."

as well as a soon to be released .NET version (DGSDK.NET)
it will support the free express versions of VB.NET and C#

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
All you need is Anim8or which is free. The photorealistic graphics are not really hard because there are so many pictures of buildings on the internet, and you can't really copyright a building.

The only problem is speed. 3D buildings have only been used in Sim City 4 because of speed problems before the newer computers became available. All the Sim City games before 4 were 2D.

2D is soo much faster when used on Plains.

Forest
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks everyone!

One last thing, Is there any other software I might want to consider for other aspects of creation, all the different Dark Basic applications on the web site are baffling me a bit?
CuCuMBeR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2006 22:31 Edited at: 29th May 2006 22:32
I use these:
(Glad i didnt need to pay for those because my company owns them)
3dMax 8.0, Vue 4.0 Pro, Bryce 5.1, Deep Exploration, Caustics Generator(free), Terragen(free), TreeMagic (free Old version), FreeWorld3D (great for making landscapes for OGRE and sort of DBPro around 20$), Photoshop CS2, Macromedia Flash MX (good for making splines to use in 3dMax), Sonic Foundry-Sound Forge 6.0,..and some more.
But the thing is, i havent ever managed to make a finished game yet

Too Sexy
Bahamut
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2006 23:41
In Darkbasic Discussion, there's a sticky called "Game programming kit for beginners" There's a huge list of other support software including 3D modellers, and 2D applications.

Quote: "1. Is this possible with DBP or does it only support certain types of games eg platform or FPS?"

You can make pretty much anything, but if you decide on something big (like me), be prepared to spend a good decade or two making it. I'm only half joking.

Quote: "2. what modelling programs?"

No-one can tell you what modelling program to use. Try them all before making a decision. They all have free demos available to download.

Quote: "3. can you make your own sound effects to use in games?"

Yep. I've never gone into sound effects before, but for music I use midi. I believe MP3 and WAV can be used with the sound commands though.

Quote: "4. Is it possible to create and use photo-realistic graphics?"

Photorealism usually means very, very high poly, with very, very high resolution textures. Besides that fact that each model will take years to make, DBP isn't capable of running more than a few tens of thousands worth of polys at a decent framerate.

Quote: "5. Are there any major things that are not possible when creating a game that would be possible with say C++ ?"

I don't know much at all about C++. It's supposed to be hard. DB/P is really easy to use, and you can get pretty good results quite easily. It's still a programming language though, so it's never quite as simple as you'd like.

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Photorealism usually means very, very high poly, with very, very high resolution textures. Besides that fact that each model will take years to make, DBP isn't capable of running more than a few tens of thousands worth of polys at a decent framerate."

Not when you're talking about buildings...

Bahamut
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2006 02:30
Quote: "Not when you're talking about buildings..."

True, but it would look odd if you had photorealistic buildings, and everything else is usual low-poly standard.

jawchild
Years of Service
User Offline
you have so much to learn yet. lol. I would just stick to free stuff for now. There are so many sounds, sprites, etc.. that you can borrow for game concepts on the web, the selection becomes daunting. You can worry about replacements later, or even have a good heads-up on your next game.
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "True, but it would look odd if you had photorealistic buildings, and everything else is usual low-poly standard."

Maybe you haven't seen Sim City, it is just buildings, roads, cars, and people from a great height, but does look realistic in the sense that things from a great height have few polygons. A person is just a blob, a car is just a few boxes.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-24 23:27:24
Your offset time is: 2024-09-24 23:27:24