Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / Make Searchlight Brighter?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Anyone know how to make the animated searchlight actually work like a searchlight and not just make a wicked thin beam of light?

"I came here to do two things: chew bubble gum and kick ass.....and I am all out of bubble gum."
bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
To do that you will need to alter the alpha channel of the .dds texture for the searchlight. I purposely kept the beam of light subtle.

If you turn on full shader effects than the beam of light appears somewhat brighter.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My FPSC stuff at http://hyrumark.zftp.com/FPSC/hyrumarkfpsc.htm
Foxhound7
Years of Service
User Offline
how do I alter the alpha channel? I realy want to use the searchlight but it's just too dark

"I came here to do two things: chew bubble gum and kick ass.....and I am all out of bubble gum."
Michael S
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2006 06:03
Off Topic~ Hey bond1 i was looking at your madels, There awsome how long have you been makeing models?

bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "how do I alter the alpha channel? I realy want to use the searchlight but it's just too dark"

Well, this is going to be a little involved if you don't have much experience with an image editing program like Adobe Photoshop. You will need to open the .dds file in Photoshop, and to do this you will also need NVidia's dds plugin for photoshop, which can be found on NVidia's website.

Once in photoshop you can access the alpha channel, which is just a black and white image embedded into the texture. On one side of the alpha channel you will see a gradient that fades from gray to black. You will want to lighten this area up to make the searchlight beam appear brighter (more opaque).

Quote: "Off Topic~ Hey bond1 i was looking at your madels, There awsome how long have you been makeing models?
"

Thanks, been at it for a couple years now.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My FPSC stuff at http://hyrumark.zftp.com/FPSC/hyrumarkfpsc.htm
Foxhound7
Years of Service
User Offline
bond1, I don't have photoshop or the plugins. Would you consider brightening it and posting the file, please?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 14:34:22
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 14:34:22