Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / consequences of game world scale

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi, I've done a forum search and read through some that discuss scale. However, I don't feel as though I've obtained the specific answers I'm seeking.

I am currently modeling with Milkshape (which conveniently seems to use the same scale system as DBpro). I am generating heightmaps that are 58x46. I find it convenient to scale the units (and obstacles) in my strategy game to about the size of 1 x 1 units. This keeps things simple because at the beginning of a match they have to be aligned to spaces on a grid defined by the heightmap. I realize many people are scaling their game world objects much larger, some even making one darkbasic unit equivalent to an inch on a model.

Assuming FOV is adjusted,

Will scale impact physics? I am not going to have a very sophisticated physics system - only one that calculates if a projectile collides with an object. However, I am planning on using DarkAI.

Will scale impact lighting?

Will scale impact performance?

Also, a small unrelated question about Vsync - Does it operate independently of my sync rate? For example, if I choose Vsync on when setting my display mode, and then set a sync rate of 30fps, my main program loop will still loop at 30 times a second, correct?
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2006 16:54
camera range seems to affect speed on older machines.
this is why i use a smaller unit of measure for my games.
keeping the overall camera range to under 5000.
however that applied to DBC more then pro I assume.
its been a while since ive had any time to scratch myself let alone dev my game.

If no-one gives your an answer to a question you have asked, consider:- Is your question clear.- Did you ask nicely.- Are you showing any effort to solve the problem yourself 
Cigaboo
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the reply. Hmm... maybe it will be beneficial to have a smaller scale. The only downside I see so far is that I will have to use more float variables instead of integers (as a result of having to divide things).

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-24 23:20:22
Your offset time is: 2024-09-24 23:20:22