Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / [LOCKED] Any Suggestions

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
My son is almost 8 yrs old and for the past two years has expressed his dream of creating video games. He plays games mostly XBox - Halo, Halo II and Metal Of Honor Rising Sun. He plays others also. However, he spends the majority of his time developing and drawing characters for his games. Every waking moment and I am not exaggerating, he is creating entire civilizations and ideas for his work. My dining room table is covered with literally hundreds of his drawings that are continually in the works. I have taken to home schooling him as I felt developing his talents are crucial. He is an artist and his drawings and imagination amaze me. I do not know exactly how to steer him in the right direction. I have resorted to tape recording his ideas as he speaks them so that I can type them as I simply can not remember it all. We were going to buy him a motorcycle or a bicycle - No, he said he would rather have a computer programming software so he can start to learn to make games... I don't know where to start. Thanks for any suggestions or just comments. Is he too young? I do not want him to lose the gifts he naturally possesses. Again, Thanks. Tracy
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2006 00:10 Edited at: 31st May 2006 00:13
Dark Basic Pro might be the perfect starting place for him. A lot of people here started programming as kids so 8 is probably just about right, especially if he is advanced for his age.

If he is artistically talented you may find that he ends up not liking programming but wants to be involved in design and creation of media for games, which is an absolutely necessary piece of the game making puzzle, but is not synonomous or interchangeable with the programming aspects. They are two necessary skillsets, usually performed by different people

good luck to you and him

Tracy
Years of Service
User Offline
To CattleRustler

Thank you so much - Cole and I read your response. I think that I will try Dark Basic Pro and see how that goes for him. Take care and thanks again
Mr X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2006 09:04
You can download the trail version and see if he likes it.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2006 15:55
My son is 9 and I plan to get him up and running with DB Pro very soon. I spent a couple of hours with him a while ago just teaching him to do what I did as a kid - display your name. Now, I know that was the wrong approach and I plan to get him straight in at the deep end, loading models, moving them around and rotating them.

It's a long road from the basics to your first game, but if he has the enthusiasm before he starts he should do well.

Virtual X
Years of Service
User Offline
I think at this age you really need to concentrate on developing his imagination further instead of getting bogged down with coding standards etc... so DBPro is a good start, as Mr X suggests, download the trial and see if he likes coding if not then you've saved some money, look into products that don't require coding like FPS Creator which will allow him to develop his ideas faster hence maintain motivation etc...
Zeddex
Years of Service
User Offline
my opinion is simple, i have 2 kids 1 at 8 and other at 5
both of them don't play to video game during the week and not a lots during week end, ( like 1 or 2 houre max a week end ) and this is becose i don't want, i prefere kids outside playing with other than glued to a videogame or a computer.

sure it will be a good thing for him if you buy it a programming tool s like DBP and other program like 3d modeler. but in a way, kids as to incrase some social skill and to have a good health, they need to miove a lots and play sport or something like that.

learning programming is not hard and i m sure your kids will learn it fast, maybe some math theori will bug him a bit.

but when i had is age, i was a pro gaming and to push my ambition for the game, becose i didnt have a computer, i created some RPG like dongon & Dragon to play with my friend, that give me some logic skill on how to make basic game theoris and calcul.

but if your kid are not 5h on the computer every day after school and during week end on it too, its can be a good idea, but if you think the kids will lost himself into that like you say with is sketch, i don t thing is a good idea, he as to explore more reallity before falling into no real thing

If Zeddex can, you can. If you have an idea, make it.
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2006 17:04
Tracy

No problem and good luck again. My daughter is having a bit of trouble with memblocks, but then again she is only 3... months.

monotonic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2006 17:58
@Zeddex

I really hope your not trying to tell tracy how to bring up her child! because that would be wrong wouldn't it? If you are not capable of answering tracy's question then I suggest that you don't post anything.

@Tracy

Good luck to you and your budding games guru.

My W.I.P project
Zeddex
Years of Service
User Offline
i'm not try to tell tracy to do something, he asked for an advice if it would be a good idea to buy dbp for is kids of 8 year old.

he say
Quote: "Thanks for any suggestions or just comments. Is he too young? I do not want him to lose the gifts he naturally possesses."

so that mean he wanted our advice, i told him what i think about it

and i say :

Quote: "sure it will be a good thing for him if you buy it a programming tool s like DBP and other program like 3d modeler. "

but io post my opinion, like he assked befor.

so your
Quote: "Joined: Fri Mar 24th 2006

I really hope your not trying to tell tracy how to bring up her child! because that would be wrong wouldn't it? If you are not capable of answering tracy's question then I suggest that you don't post anything.
"

grab it for your self, i just post my opinion to someone asked for some opinion and sudgestion

Zeddex
Years of Service
User Offline
so my opinio, i think he's too yough, not becose is hard, just becose i think kids as to do something more than playing on a computer or etc..

monotonic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2006 18:21
Ok lets leave it there then shall we, so we don't fill this thread full of rubbish!

My W.I.P project
Virtual X
Years of Service
User Offline
Zeddex, what's wrong with 'encouraging' a child todo something they obviously have a passion for? parents are so preoccupied with what a child 'should' be doing at that age, they never stop and think whether the child actually 'wants' to do so-called 'normal' child activities, maybe this is the childhood he wants? so his needs must be put first. Personally, I don't think kids should be on the PC all the time, as they need exercise and they really need to interact socially with other children to develop necessary social skills. Tracy was saying that his/her son spends 'most' of his time by 'drawing' characters, I believe this should be encouraged, if this is something he feels passionate about why tell him otherwise?

good luck to him
Mr X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2006 10:21
Well, as I see it Zeddex didnt say that it would be wrong to make the passion to an obsession. There is a huge difference.

Lets follow what monotonic said,
Quote: "Ok lets leave it there then shall we, so we don't fill this thread full of rubbish!"
ยด
, and discuss other things then rubbish.
Mr X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2006 10:27
Quote: "Well, as I see it Zeddex didnt say that it would be wrong to make the passion to an obsession. There is a huge difference."

Sorry, it just ended up wrong. What I meant was that Zeddex said that its nothing wrong to encourage a childs passion, but to let it become an obsession is not right.
Computer Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2006 14:38
I started coding around 9 or so

Current Project - Jono's Maze(Open Source, 3d maze shooter)
Progress Of Project - 0.5%
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2006 15:15
I think the thread has served its purpose

click.

Good Luck to Tracy and her son, let us know how he makes out with dbp

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-24 23:29:20
Your offset time is: 2024-09-24 23:29:20