Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / I Need Some Advice

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I am not that new to programming but I am new to all forms of DarkBasic or FPS or all the other programs shown on thegamecreators.com

I started learning to program in a "Beginning Programming for Dummies" book. It has taught me a lot through Liberty Basic.

Now I am looking to start games and I have no clue on where to start. I am willing to spend some money to buy any software or books I need, but I just need to know what to buy and where to start.

If you need any more info on how much I know please feel free to message me or just post back.

- "Nothing is True. Everything is Permitted."
D Ogre
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2006 00:31 Edited at: 31st May 2006 00:33
Well, your in the right place. If you have a reasonably decent grasp of the core language (BASIC), you will be able to apply your knowledge to DarkBASIC or DarkBASIC Professional. If you want more specific information of either, you can search the forums, ask questions here, and optain more books to help you.

I recommend that you start by ordering a copy of DarkBASIC Professional to begin writing games. It can handle the latest hardware. You will later need some paint programs to make 2D pixel art, 3D modelling programs to create 3D objects and characters, and some kind of music or sound effects editor(s).

The tools you use will depend on what your project requires. Start with tools that are simple and inexpensive first. There are some featured here on this site. You can also search the web too. You can also find royalty free media resources already made to use as well.
z3r0CoD3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2006 06:17
Also if u are willing to try DarkBasic Or DarkBasic Pro, u should try looking at the stickies and tutorials, and maybe checking out the codebase to get an idea of Darkbasic Language(BASIC)
Gokuabs
Years of Service
User Offline
OK, Cool.
And you say that DBP is a good place to start but I see all this other available software, are they just add-ons to DBP or are they other things to start with.

Correct me if I'm wrong but things like Dark Matter, Tecture Maker, and Sound Matter are, by the looks of it, add-ons to other software.
But I am wondering whether they are to DBP or not, or are they entirely different and you make things with them to add on to a DBP program.

Also what are Dark Game SDK, FPS Creator, the 3D Game Maker, and Play Basic. Are they like DarkBasic and DBP or are they, once again, add-ons to DBP.
By the looks of it DarkGameSDK is DarkBasic in C++ but which means that I don't think I want that, but what are the others.

By the way thaks for the info D Ogre, I just have a few more questions I need answered.
I would really appreciate it if someone helped me by posting back.
Thanks

Gokuabs
Years of Service
User Offline
Well I did a little reading and I found out what FPS, PlayBasic, and 3D GameMaker are.

To other NewComers Reading:

FPS - shooter game creator which requires none or little programming skill because you just drag and drop

3D GameMaker - allows you to make games with little or no programming, all is done through drag and drop

PlayBasic - a 2D game maker, it is like DarkBasic in 2D

DarkGameSDK - it is like DarkBasic but in more of a C++ form, supports Visual Basic code

After reading and learning all of this I have decided to get DBP because I don't want to just drag and drop, that takes the fun out of it, I don't want to make 2D gamesmy limit, but I will start simple and probably make them first, and I want to program in a more BASIC form not C++.

But I am still wondering about what 3D Modeling, Graphics, World Building, Game Models, and Game Audio things are and which of them will work with DBP.

By the way, if I get a book should I get:
Hands On DarkBASIC Pro - Volume 1
or
Beginner's Guide to DarkBASIC Game Programming
which will better help me learn DarkBasic because I already know most BASIC programming through LibertyBASIC,
read first post.

Bahamut
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2006 16:19
DBP is better than DBC because it is still being updated (updates are free), has more commands and you can get loads of plugins, some of which are stll being made. There's a massive speed increase as well. I'll be getting DBP very soon.

There are 30 day trials of each on this website, so you can try them out first. If you find that DBC does exactly what you need, then save your extra £30 and put it towards a modeller.

Quote: "Dark Matter"

Dark matter is a pack of ready made models to plug into your came. Most people use them as placeholders untill they make their own.

Quote: "Tecture Maker,Sound Matter"

Never even looked at texture maker. Sounds like they make textures and sounds for in game use.

Quote: "But I am wondering whether they are to DBP or not, or are they entirely different and you make things with them to add on to a DBP program.
"

They are used to make media for your games. Dark matter is the exception-it only contains ready-made models for you to use.

Quote: "But I am still wondering about what 3D Modeling, Graphics, World Building, Game Models, and Game Audio things are and which of them will work with DBP."

In darkbasic discussion, there's a sticky called "game programming kit for beginners" (or something). There's a huge list of software ranging from music software to 3D modellers.

In 3D chat, there's a sticky which contains links to old stickies. One of those links is a list and reviews of modellers.

All of the free modellers have something wrong with them, some have bad exporters, others don't support animation etc. I recommend trying all modellers within your price range. All have demos available. Look for things like ease of use and exporters (.x and .3ds are the supported types. I think there's one more, but I can't remember it).
Also check out the galleries to check out what the software is capable of.

Quote: "Hands On DarkBASIC Pro - Volume 1"

I've heard that this is very good. I think the other book is for DBC (not sure though).

Gokuabs
Years of Service
User Offline
Sounds Cool,
Thanks!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-24 23:30:56
Your offset time is: 2024-09-24 23:30:56