Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Hello! help wanted!!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello everybody!!!!!!!!! I have just joined!!!! I have got Dark Basic Classic. I have no idea how to program!!!i already checked the in-depth tutorials and they are of no use to me!!!! And i want to make games!!! So if anybody can help me, please reply to this post!!

PS2 rulez
Bahamut
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2006 23:56
Please give a more descriptive post title next time you post. People are more likely to answer you that way.

I too am a beginner, but I'll describe the methods and sources that helped me grasp the basics.

The best way to start is small. I started by experimenting with programs that had no graphics at all. Just the mechanics that go on behind the scenes. Here are some of the very earliest things I tried:

1) Maths. Just adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing variables.

2)The program asks for your name. You type in your name. The program prints "Your name is [name]"

3)Simple text games. Press 1 for yes, 2 for no etc.

The DBC helpfiles are very useful, ignore the "make a game in 5 steps" tutorial (most useless thing I've ever seen), but read the 10 basic tutorials, and do the tasks. The command list has descriptions of each command and an example to match. Mess around with the code and see what happens.

There are a few tutorials on these forums, and I always recommend TDK's tutorials. They're the best tutorials I've seen by far. He explains all the basic concepts very well. I don't have the link, but if you look around for one of his posts, you'll find it in his sig.

There are also a couple of tutorials on this website. The binary moon tutorials also helped me alot.

Don't expect to make games over night. Even the simplest games take a while. Head over to the WIP boards and check out how long each project is taking. Most games take more than a year to complete, and those people are veterans with DB.

Hope I helped and wasn't too discouraging. It took me about a month to learn the basics. Some learn quicker, some slower so don't get discouraged.

RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2006 00:26
If the tutorials didnt help you nothing will!!! Go read them agan!!! Stop raping your exclamation mark button!!! Again, stop yelling at us!!! Ok!!! Thank you!!!

Duke Blue Devils
Years of Service
User Offline
Welcome to the forums. Watch out for Ruccus, he bites.

Visit the official Chicago Rush website
http://chicagorush.servegame.com/index.php
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2006 05:24
ruccus is as harmless as a cute little baby wolverine.

You can get a lot of help from the people here on this forum, but you have to think before you type. Be specific about your questions and think logically. It's obvious what you need in this post, so no biggy this time.

Hopefully, someone has a link to some beginner tutorials, because I don't have any for as basic as you need.

"Using Unix is the computing equivalent of listening only to music by David Cassidy" - Rob Pike
newbie programmer
Years of Service
User Offline
Actually i know a bit of dark basic.Very basic stuff

PS2 rulez
Zeddex
Years of Service
User Offline
http://darkbasic.thegamecreators.com/?f=tutorials

If Zeddex can, you can. If you have an idea, make it.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-24 23:25:34
Your offset time is: 2024-09-24 23:25:34