Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Where's my light???

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2006 20:50
I hang my head in shame! I'm just finishing up my first game in DBPro (a 2D puzzler) and was experimenting with the 3D command set to get started on my next project.

I wanted to set up a special effect that you often see in RPGs of a character casting a spell being uplit by a funky spotlight, with some textured plains of arcane symbols dancing round them.

I thought that I would start with a sphere as my character, and a normal spotlight.

And my light is just not appearing.

Here is my code, could someone just give me a gentle nudge in the right direction.

Cheers!

Carolina South
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2006 21:14
Here ya go:

"Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock." - Will Rogers

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources." - Albert Einstein
Carolina South
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2006 21:18
Or better yet, move the Light a lil closer to the object to be lit for a more dramatic and niticeable effect:

"Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock." - Will Rogers

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources." - Albert Einstein
Dream And Death
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2006 21:19
Thanks, but I think maybe I'm going down the wrong path.

I was hoping to actually see light in the inner cone and more diffuse light in the outer cone, not just where the spotlight hits the object.

Kinda like the attached!

Any thoughts anyone?

(And cheers for the contribution CS!)

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Carolina South
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2006 21:22
You will either want to use particle effects

OR

you COULD use a cone primitive/model, ghosted, with a smoky animated texture applied to it along with your spotlight.

Dream And Death
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2006 21:27
Fair enough - things are never as easy as you first hope!

I was going to use particle effects for the swirling runes, but I like the idea of a ghosted cone - I'll have a play and see what I can come up with.

{Bows to CS} - Thanks for your help!
Carolina South
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2006 21:51
Glad I could help!

headcrab 53
Years of Service
User Offline
By the way, light 0 is not the ambient light. You can use it just like any other light. The built in light commands only light up the object because it is more realistic. If you could see a cone coming out of a light like what you were hoping for, it would be unrealistic and make the lights useless.

Formerly known as covenant
monotonic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2006 18:40 Edited at: 4th Jun 2006 18:40
Quote: "By the way, light 0 is not the ambient light. You can use it just like any other light."

This is from the dbpro help files
Quote: "
MAKE LIGHT

This command will create a new light in the scene. You can create up to 7 new lights, numbered 1 to 7.
Light zero is the default light and is always present. The light number must be specified using an integer
value.
"

and this is what happened when I changed the number from 1 to 0 in the above example by Carolina South

My W.I.P project
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2006 22:00 Edited at: 4th Jun 2006 22:01
Of course you can't make light 0, but that doesn't mean that it is the ambient light, it just means that it already exists. There are 8 lights + ambient light. So really sort of 9 lights.

monotonic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2006 13:21
@ Pincho Paxton

hmmmm, I was referring to the fact that light zero could not be used ( so to speak, it can be coloured etc ) obviously the ambient light is in fact that, an ambient light!

My W.I.P project
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "hmmmm, I was referring to the fact that light zero could not be used"

I still don't know what you mean. Light 0 can be used like any other light. You can position it, colour it, change it into the various types of lights like spot, and directional, you just can't make it, because it is already made.

monotonic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2006 14:54 Edited at: 5th Jun 2006 14:57
This is the full quote
Quote: "I was referring to the fact that light zero could not be used ( so to speak, it can be coloured etc ) "

I mentioned that it can be coloured etc. Ok maybe it was a little ambiguous but that is what I ment.

My W.I.P project
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2006 14:57 Edited at: 5th Jun 2006 14:59
But you don't say how it can't be used...

Oh maybe you are getting the error message confused...

The error message should be...

Light 0 cannot be made because it already exists, but the error messages in DB are a bit strange.

monotonic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2006 14:57
See edit above

My W.I.P project
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Lol! My edit above..

monotonic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2006 15:06
Strange is an understatement, it may aswell just say

Quote: "An error ocurred somewhere in your code, I'm not telling you where it just did!"

But like I say I knew about the light 0 but I just didn't word my posts correctly so we got our wires crossed,

My W.I.P project

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-25 01:35:50
Your offset time is: 2024-09-25 01:35:50