Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / making a Final Fantasy styled RPG?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Read the topic? Where can I learn to make a full-length RPG on DarkBASIC Professional. I bought this and I want to put this to good news, but this is expensive! Even though this is off-topic, should I use Poser 6 for making character models? I am making a full-length 3d RPG or should I use another program instead of Poser 6?
Slayer93
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2006 00:53
Well if you just started with dbp then I won't recommend you start off with a full-lenght RPG. Instead start with something simpler like pong

NARUTO IS THE NINJA.....not really
[url=http://forum.openmmo.co.uk/index.php?topic=328.0]
WIP...4 Elements
Bahamut
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2006 01:34
A word of warning: It's certainly possible, but it will take you years. Don't let that stop you though. Hasn't stopped me (though I'm waiting untill I can code well first).

I've never used poser 6, but you'll need some sort of 3D modeller and an animator. You'll also need some music software, and some 2D paint-editing software. In DB discussion, there's a sticky with a list of software and where to get them.

Quote: "Where can I learn to make a full-length RPG on DarkBASIC Professional"

There are no tutorials for this for obvious reasons. I'm going to assume you're new to DB, so I'll suggest two ways of starting out.

The way I started out:

Make small programs, and experiment with the commands that are relevent to your project. For instance, make an RPG menu with a party switch system. Do it several times in different ways. So far I've done two menu systems, and three battle systems in the last couple of months. Each time you do it, you'll think of a faster, better way, and add more commands. The amount of code it takes will decrease too.

The plus side of this, is that if you're impatient (like me), then you'll feel that you are always making progress towards that final game, and therefore stay interested in what you're doing.

The downside is that it takes longer to learn the language, and some commands and techniques will never even be touched upon.

The recommended way of starting out.

Start off with simple arcade games in 2D. Pong, space invaders and breakout will get you using basic commands and maths early on. From here, you can advance to harder stuff like a 3D pong game or something.

The plus side here is that you will get a firm basic knowledge of the language, and you'll be able to increase the difficulty gradually.

The downside is that you may think that pong is boring compared to FFLVI.

Whatever, either way, you won't be ready for an RPG for at least a year. Make a design document in the meantime. That way, when you're ready to make the game, you know what to do and how. The design part is both the most geeky thing you'll ever do, and really, really fun.

D Ogre
Years of Service
User Offline
I agree with Bahamut. Making an RPG is quite an undertaking for a beginner. If you wish to persue the project anyways, start out small with simpler projects that could be used later to build your game.

There are many things you have to consider. You not only have to learn the language, but you also have to learn how to use all the other tools used to create the media for it.

Although Poser 6 is a powerful application, it has some limitations. It is mainly used for rendering 2D artwork from 3D and AVI video animation. The polygon count for most of the models are to high for a game environment. Unless you create your own models or obtain royalty free ones, the content in Poser is copyrighted by the respective owners and can't be used in commercial works.

If you plan on using Poser strictly for generating 2D from 3D, you should be able to use the artwork any way you see fit with no restrictions. Before doing so, check the EULA and any copyright restrictions noted by the authors of the content to make sure. It is a great program for creating realistic animated sprites, still images, and movie clips to spice up your game.

For making your own 3D models from scratch, I would suggest using another modelling program such as Milkshape 3D. It is more suited for building game models. Try to keep the poly-count as low as possible for games.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2006 17:54
Quote: "Making an RPG is quite an undertaking for a beginner"

It's quite an undertaking for any of us!

"Using Unix is the computing equivalent of listening only to music by David Cassidy" - Rob Pike
RudolphC
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks. Right now I have to use RPG Maker XP. I want to make a semi-3d RPG using this. I did not but this expensive program for just sitting there. I think I will do sequals on this once I get better at RPG Maker XP. You can still continue to help me.
D Ogre
Years of Service
User Offline
Its very true Phaelax, it can be a challenge for anyone to write a game. My point was to start out small with your projects and build the knowledge and necessary skills to achieve your goals first. Why have a cart when you have no horses to pull it?
The admiral
Years of Service
User Offline
Just using rpg maker wont give you any experience in programming it does most of the work for you. You need to make small things building your experience until your ready for a game.

The admiral

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-25 01:26:12
Your offset time is: 2024-09-25 01:26:12