Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2006 21:11
my game turns really realy slow when im in test mood hoe can i speed it up

wus up
matttess
Years of Service
User Offline
maybe buy a new pc? prob memory is really bad,sorta happends to mine cos mines 256 mem if ur is lower upgrade dude

FOR FREE STATIC MODELS FPSC READY AND IN .MS3D FORMAT GO TO [href]http//:www.free3dmodels.freewebsitehosting.com[/href] !!!!!!
MT Inc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2006 21:22
my memory is exellent its 1gb it happens only when im in test mode so when im walking or shooting someone it goes slow

wus up
matttess
Years of Service
User Offline
are u using custom made characters?if so maybe too much polygons

FOR FREE STATIC MODELS FPSC READY AND IN .MS3D FORMAT GO TO [href]http//:www.free3dmodels.freewebsitehosting.com[/href] !!!!!!
MT Inc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2006 21:24
so how can i make it go faster

wus up
Zaibatsu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2006 22:32
get a really good graphics card, more ram, more free holding space, not as many entities, entities with less polygons, and switch any scenery entities to static

"I alone walk the valley of shadow and death, and I fear no evil, for I'm the meanest Son Of A Bitch in the valley"
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2006 22:35
There are a variety of ways to speed up your game.Some are:
Limit dynamic entities.If an object doesn't have to move think about making it static instead.
Limit outdoor areas.While I am in the process of making several outdoor levels they are all fairly small and somewhat contained.
Place fewer entities together.If you drop twenty ninjas in the same room you can forget the frame rate.
Place breaks in areas.Make turns in hallways.Put up walls,etc.
You might try turning the physics off on entities.This may or may not help speed up your game and the effects are debatable.
Making sure your models are fairly low poly.
Try these and see if it helps.

FLa
Where you can find my demo:http://www.savefile.com/files/6970524
kraM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2006 00:00 Edited at: 4th Jun 2006 00:01
Just to add to what I has returned has suggested, keep in mind that dynamic windows (ones you can see through) will slow things up too, as will open doors (always auto close them). IMHO The ticket to faster game play is to balance on that fine line between,

1. Small/tight area's - which work well for speed, but don't do much for the eyes.

Possible solution; Make good use of the small areas by taking advantage of faster game play i.e... add more Dynamic entities to make the smaller area's more interactive for the player. Add that eye candy!

2. Grand open area's - good eye candy, but hard on game play.

Possible solution; Here if you want bigger open area's, go easy on the Dynamic entities. You can still have eye candy, just make good use of Static entities and keep the bad guy/gals to a minimum. Also you can make a area look big when it's really not, by limiting the interaction and movement of the player. ie... allow the player outside, but only giving the player a short route to travel outdoors before he/she most re-enter a smaller area back indoors. (remember to have the doors auto close)

3. Tons of dynamic entities - makes for a lot of interaction, but kill's game play.

Possible solution; You can have them, but only when you've tightened everything else up. ie... a small area, with a low ploy count will grant you free game speed you can spend on player - game interaction.

4. Lack of dynamic entities - takes away the fun factor (interaction), but aid's in game play.

Possible solution; this is the opposite of #3, here you can get over this hump, by laying out a good use of Static entities. ie... say you want a stack of crate's that the player needs to move to get to a door behind them, well make your stack out of a split between Static and Dynamic crates. Not every crate needs to move just the ones needed to pass do.

5. Mass amounts of bad guys/gals - after all this is what we want Action, but again down goes the game play.

Possible solution; This is the same as #1 smaller areas allow for more interaction. Make the player fight his/her way through a maze of rooms fighting Bad guy/gal's all the way. You also have control of when they spawn, all the bad guy/gals don't need to be loaded at the start.

6. Limited bad guys/gals - well helps game play, but takes away some action.

Possible solution; 3 parts to this:

a. Placement - one enemy in a good spot can be harder than 5 enemies in the open.

b. Spawn - as I said above you don't need every bad guy/gal to spawn at the start of the every level.

c. Layout - when designing a level, I find it best to build my area/room around the enemy that the player will encounter there, not just build a area and toss in some bad guys/gals after.

Regards
Mark

Surfin' The Apocalypse

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 14:22:26
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 14:22:26