Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Loading in DB

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi,
I'm brand new to DB classic and I come from the C-64, C-128 school of programming. Which means I haven't programmed anything in many, many years except for some simple programs in Visual Basic. I want to become familiar with the way DB works and also with current programming technics as although I think I can create many types of programs I'm sure that the methods I use are not nearly the most efficient as I tend to rely on the same commands and technics I'm familiar with over and over. I noticed DB is very similar in many ways to the Basic that came with the old C-128 and C-64 although back then we obviously we didn't have anything like 3D commands for instance.
For now I have 2 questions. 1st how do you load images and sounds to be used in your DB programs? I tried for example: Load image "C:\winnt\testimage", 1 to load a sprite named "testimage". However I get a 'file not found' error message even though I know that is the right location. Do images, sounds, etc need to be saved in a certain folder in order for DB to be able to load them?
My second question is, what is the best way to create for example a 3d racing game? Are there any genre specific commands built into DB that make it easier to create a certain type of game? I believe that 3d worlds for lets say a FPS game are more easily created using Matrix commands but I don't know if that would work for a racing game. I'm not sure about this since I'm still just reading the manual and haven't really tried to create any programs myself. Can you suggest any commands I need to become more familiar with in order to create certain type of games such as 2d and 3d fighting games, FPS, side-scrollers, etc? Sorry for the lenghty message and thanks for your help!!!
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
When you load an image you need to include its format..like .bmp..

Load Image "C:\winnt\testimage.bmp", 1

Or jpg.

Games can be made in many different ways. Yes Matrix are easy, but they are slow. The whole race track can be made from seperate models for each bend, like a scalextric track, but you are asking a vague question, which also includes FPS. So you need to start a game, and then decide how to make it. Start with a matrix, for a practice, and then try other ways.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-25 01:35:31
Your offset time is: 2024-09-25 01:35:31