Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Average Animation software

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi,
I'm new to the forums and fairly new to Darkbasic(Not new to programming though, lol) Anyway, this is more of an opiniated question, but I'd like to see what most people use.

What program(s) do you use to create 3d models which are used in Darkbasic? And do you create the models as a .(anything) file format and then convert them to .x later, or is there software that can save files as .x without converting?

I just need a bit of guidance for the best software to use in creating 3d models. Thanks in advance!
Dr DooMer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2003 07:05
I use Rhino3D to make my models, but it doesn't do the UV map, so I need to export over to 3DSMax to apply the textures.

I do have a plugin for 3DSMax (Panda DirectX) which can export straight over to .x format, but I never use it. I use the 3dsconv program, instead. It' probably just because I'm used to using that, I guess.

Anyway, in answer to your question, I would strongly recommend Rhino3D for making your models - it's based entirely on NURBS and is very powerful, yet easy to use. Take a poke around the net and you should be able to uncover a trial version.

"I am a living, thinking entity who was created in the sea of information."
Terabyte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2003 01:38
i use Caligari trueSpace3.2 (simply the best!!!)
i used to use animator (freeware) anim8or.com (ok for basics)
i used to use 3d canvas (freeware(bit crappy)

I have a word of advice...
..don't piss on an electric fence!
Megaman Zero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2003 03:37
I use Milkshape 3d to make any models I may need, other than map files. its only $20-$40, as 3DSMax is around $2000+, lightwave is around that too, & so on. Anim8or is not as good as Milkshape 3D, but I hear it is great. I didnt like it, it was too hard for me to learn, & with the right tutorial, it is very good. It also exports to .x, right from the export menu.

http://www.milkshape3d.com

Its really good, & easy to learn, you just have to know how. It takes time, but if you play around with each option, you can learn quite quickly. Check out Scarecrows tutorial(s), they are the best, now that the AVI movies arnt up anymore.

All I ever have made my models up from, were basic shapes, playing around with all of the options bending & twisting each shape to make body armor.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 04:01:22
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 04:01:22