Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Matrix World v.05

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey, I dunno if anyone's seen my old v.01 thread, but it wasn't updating the last post time when i posted. Anyway, I have been working on a 3D game that emphasizes randomly-generated terrain. Right now, I have completed a major step in the world loading process. That is, I can now split up my matrix into many smaller matrix "tiles" and have them be deleted/recreated when needed. Here is a screenshot:

Controls are WSAD to move, left + right mouse button to alter terrain heights (still working out some kinks), E to jump, move the mouse to turn, and +/- keys to pump up/down the few stats available (running, jumping, and health).

Things to work out next include:
o smooth out the digging and wave functions
o add a menu to change land options in-game
o stick all those *.land files into one (and delete on game exit)
o add real loading/saving that persists
o add more objects
o add some enemies
o add an inventory system / combat system.
o tweak the equations for existing skills.
o etc... You know why it's version .05

If you have any suggestions, or you want to help me with one of the above, please let me know. Source is below. I can put up an .exe if you want, but I have dialup so...

[href=http://home.earthlink.net/~mari0mega15/Matrix World v0.05 source.zip]Download Matrix World v0.05 source code[/href]

Thanks in advance for the help!
Chris Franklin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2006 19:06
Nice work looks neat haven't downloaded it yet tho

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2006 21:55 Edited at: 13th Jun 2006 22:14
not bad. upping the run stat dramatically inscreases FPS, which, without upping it ranged from 24-45. (after upping it it stayed at 40+) i know this is early stages but a couple items of note include object placement and a runtime error 7010 while trying to fill land. see screenshot. nice swim feature you didn't mention it so it was a nice surprise.

Virtual Nomad
Athlon XP1800+, Windows XP+SP2, Soyo K7V Dragon+ MB, 1.5Gb 333 RAM, ATI Radeon 8700LT (128Mb)

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Mari0mega
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2006 23:06 Edited at: 13th Jun 2006 23:09
Matrix number illegal, you say? Hmm... I've run into those before. If the number is illegal, rather than just the matrix not existing, or illegal coordinates, then it's trying to access a matrix 0 for whatever reason. I'll look into it further, but it seems like an error in my digging function. I fixed what I believe caused it, can someone help me debug it?

More known bugs:
o I have a nice segment that prevents you from racing up steep hills. Unfortunately, it also stops you high up in the air if the ground's too steep, while you can sometimes jump right through the offending hill.
o All sorts of errors when trying to dig on the ocean floor matrix (matrix 1001). This is because it's not split into smaller matricies like the land. This shouldn't be too hard to fix.
o Object clipping... I did a little adjustment that helped somewhat, but it'd be easier if I knew / could set the angles and height of the objects based on the angles of elevation on the matrix.
o PLEASE let me know if you find any yourself!

I do have a new version. Little has changed, but here's a list:
o Attempted to fix error reported by Virtual Nomad.
o Added a couple new tiles: sand and snow. No transition tiles yet, so it's kinda ugly.
o Tweaked world / tile size variables. Always doing that, so get used to it.

Future ideas are too many to list, but please let me know if you have any yourself. Here's a screenie:
[img]"http://home.earthlink.net/~mari0mega15/Matrix World 0.06.JPG"[/img]

And here's the download: (Matrix World v0.06)
[href]"http://home.earthlink.net/~mari0mega15/Matrix World 0.06 src.zip"[/href]

Edit: Hmm... It doesn't seem to like URLs with spaces... Sorry.
Mari0mega
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, why isn't anyone interested? I guess I need a better title for my game.

Anyway, here's a new version. Very little has changed, but I did add a few things. I have fixed the problem with the errors trying to dig up the ocean floor, and as a result I've expanded the ocean for you to make your own islands or something. I have also begun making a pause menu, but it's very ugly still, to put it mildly. ESC will bring you to the menu, which has only the option to quit (press ESC again to leave the menu). And I've made digging a skill as well.

I've also tried experimenting with using Fragmotion to animate characters, and I added a cube with cylinder legs that's supposed to have an extremely basic walking anim without moving. However, using loop object, the anim goes very slowly and jumps to start before it's even half done. Anyone know why?

As usual, the screenshot's below.

And here's the exe. Beta testers are much appreciated.
http://home.earthlink.net/~mari0mega15/MW0.07src.zip

P.S. Sorry for being a lil off-topic, but my parents just announced that they're going to be divorced. I probably, therefore, won't update this much for a while - maybe a week or so, but you never know.

Days like this make me wish I was old enough to legally drink.
+ =
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2006 20:50 Edited at: 16th Jun 2006 20:53
The Binary Moon tutorial for DBC includes rotating to a matrix. It uses get matrix height at positions to Left Right Front and Back of the object.
It then angles the object accordingly.
This method requires two objects or a limb.
The limb is rotated to L-R,F-B positions.
Using Z and X rotation. The main object is used for movement and only rotates around the Y axis.
If you need the source, just ask.

There are three types of people, those that can count and those that can't.
Mari0mega
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2006 23:08 Edited at: 17th Jun 2006 23:09
Thanks for the tip. Yeah, do you think I could have the source? It sounds interesting, but I don't really know much about limbs. Isn't there a function that will get the angle between two points on a matrix? That sounds like the easiest way to do it. If not, I'm sure you can do it manually using vectors...

I can figure out Vx and Vy relatively simply, and use those to find |v| and the angle, but it's summer and I've already forgotten the formulas. Isn't |v| = the sqraure root of (Vx + Vy)? And I have no clue how to find theta. The trigometric way sounds the simplest, but I'll need help with the formulas.

In other news, I'll probably be spending the next few days organizing and optimizing my existing code before going on. It's well over 1000 lines already and it's a mess. I have a mixture of functions and subroutines, too: I'd use functions all the time but for some reason, global arrays seem to be broken in U6. Can anyone help me with this?
Mari0mega
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, I didn't do too much optimizing yet because I'm still waiting for an answer on the global array problem. I did delete some remmed code that I'll never use again, and through my optimizing I've fixed a couple of bugs. For example, my objects were floating above the ground before because they had the wrong coordinates. My matrix array was defined as (z, x) but every function and subroutine accessed it as (x, z) . I might not have figured this out for a while if I hadn't been changing the code to allow for non-square islands. Now you can have a different number of matrix sections for each axis and a different number of matrices themselves. Here's a ridiculously dramatic example of the islands I can make now:

I've also greatly adjusted the gravity code. I'm quite a perfectionist, so expect it to change again later , but I solved the jump-through-hills and incline-stops-jump-dead bugs. You can no longer run around and jump while digging, and water will help break your fall as it now has a buoyancy effect.

Until I get the answer on the array problem, I'll be working on the menus. I've decided to use FreshGUI for my menus at this point, and there are so many options now for creating land that I want to let you change them without editing the source.

Here's the source for the physics changes:

http://home.earthlink.net/~mari0mega15/MW0.08src.zip

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 14:19:58
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 14:19:58