Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Modern Pictures

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2006 00:03
I am working on a tool for picture editing since a few days. I think it isn't revolutional but because there are not much tools out, i'm going to present it.
It's name is Modern Pictures and as I already said, it's a tool for picture editing. But not directly, but indirectly by filters(I hope the word "Filter" is correctly translated from the German language). It's possible to programm filters and save them as .mpf-files, readable for the programm.
After starting, you can load a picture and simple use filters by clicking in the menu and choosing one or more filters you want to use. Actually the project is in a stadium of maybe 50%.
There are some functions, solving the strings including mathematical operations from the filter-files(e.g. "width()/2" gives the half of the max. X-Value of the image).
The design isn't finished yet, i am just thinking how to do it...

What I am going to add is a better filter-reading-progress. The programm can load a filter but doesn't really use it fore the pictures... there are some bugs in my algorythms(right?) but after fixing them there may be a demo-version.

Because it's a tool there is not much graphics to show you, so there aren't any screenshot of the program itself, but one of a filter i already programmed (But in DBP, not in an .mpf-file).

I hope for some ideas, questens, contructive critic? Or maybe comments, just say anything, i need some attention.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
treborguy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2006 00:30
when you get there, show some more 'tool' like features, more screenshots of different filters(<--correct) if you have them. you should definitely show whatever you have, to get more 'constructive crit'

also, the way you could make this tool worthwhile, id say, is to try and come up with some filters that photoshop doesnt include. hard i know

finally, await comments on the lack of evidence that this is a wip.

Brains are for idiots.
Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2006 00:38
Well,
there are some filters in the .mpf-Format but as i already mentioned, there are some bugs and the reading and using of the filters doesn't work correctly.

But I can tell you what filters are already created and what are planned:

Created:
-Negative
-Black-white
-Cartoon (But wrong format)[Screenshot of the first post]

Planned:
-Colorchanging
-Oil-painting
-Kind of HDR-Effect, like in new games
-For this filter my english-knowledge isn't enough . The filter makes the pictore more smooth... mixes the colors, don't know how to say it, sorry xD

I'm going to look what other filters are included in Photoshop etc. and maybe add them too.
So if there are any ideas of new filters, just tell me
Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2006 20:26
If someone is interested, here are the downloads of three simple filters as exes.
-Black/White
-Negative
-Contrast

Of course the design isn't similar to the design of the programm. Just test it, if you want, and (like always...) give tips - if you want.

Attachments

Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2006 21:20
Editing doesn't work... so here's a new post. The images shows the 3 filters "in action".

The image:

The extern link:
http://img478.imageshack.us/my.php?image=filtersbwnvct8va.jpg
Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2006 11:51
Now I've deleted some bugs and the programm is working well. It's possible to load images and use alle the shown filters. For the Blackwhite-, Negative- or Contrast-Filter it needs about 2 Seconds. The comic filter isn't really working but will be improved today.
Does anyone have an idea what filters to add to the already existing? Please tell me...
Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2006 20:11
The main program is nearly finished since a few days and I am working on the GUI, because the design is one of the most important aspects of graphic software.
When the GUI is finished, I may include direct picture editing with simple functions like the draw types in MS Paint.
But first I have to continue working on the GUI.
I know there are many GUIs out, but it's fun to create an own one
Here a little Screenshot:

http://img252.imageshack.us/my.php?image=moderngui30pj.jpg

Already made/included:
-windows(partly)
-buttons
-checkboxes (Not shown on the screen)

Planned:
-Scrollbars
-Dialogues (Open file etc)
-Rightclickmenus
-Many more things... but I don't know if I'm going to include everything

I'm still waiting for comments... just say what you think, is it good/bad/improvable(of course...)?
I don't want to speak against a wall
Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2006 11:50
And some news again...
There are some problems with the filter-system so I have to change it... the GUI is working well and I guess I'm going to finish it soon.
Also I've made some new filters:

The version in the top, left corner is an oil painting (How you may have already read), the bottom left picture is a picture how it could look being made into a carpet... you understand?
The right ones are just color changes, maybe I'm going to improve them...

So please say something, even a wall is talking more than you
Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2006 18:12
Here's a Demo, not all filters are included and there are some (or many) bugs...

http://files.filefront.com/Modern_Pictureszip/;5215214;;/fileinfo.html

Attachments

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2006 20:59
that looks awesome, good work dude

Bob da reaper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2006 19:12 Edited at: 4th Jul 2006 19:20
I like but the night vision doesn't look right for some reason.

Are you German? Ich mag Ihr Computerprogramm

i thinks that's right, oh well that's the rubbish english schools for you

I pwn n00bs - current project "Darkness Falls"
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2006 20:02
Quote: "
Are you German? Ich mag Ihr Computerprogramm"

Try...Ich bin ein berlliner(spelling?), perfect pickup line for Germans girls.
or
Mein Stadt tut veh!
or
Apple Pie

Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2006 12:49
Well... yes I am german and thanks for the comments.
Now there is an Un- and Redo-function integrated and i am working on a better "scrolling system".
Also there are some new filters.
Maybe I'm going to update the Demo soon...
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2006 13:02
OK,i understand German,but cant write it...

BTW,looks cool.

Many tales has bein told about me,and there where i came from.Most bad ones are true.The good ones are false...
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2006 16:24
Nice results.

One thing I'd really like to see... was thinking about this last week...

Automated texture colour normalisation.

Like if you have 50 textures, the chances are there's dark and light, high and low contrast, all mixed in and continuity is hopeless with that lot.

So if you had a filter that normalised textures to set values, say a darkest and lightest shade, then resampled the colours to be within that bandwidth, it should help make them more uniform. Probably wouldn't take long with the system you have in place, but I think it'd make a big difference. Photoshop can't do that, it can normalise, but who says we want pure black and white ranges, we might like using muted colours on terrains to improve vertice lighting for example - Photoshop is not in charge, I is!.

Consider other things you can do as well as just applying filters:

* Creating normal maps from greyscales.
* Shading heightmaps at high resolution to make shadow layers for terrain textures.
* Colour range noise - I might only want to add random green noise when green is the strongest colour - it would be very handy for landscapes - it's preserve things like water and sky areas while letting you affect just the grass.
* Seamless tile creation, an offset and blend would do a reasonable job on more uniform textures, might be worth the hassle.
* Masks - like a black and white mask that could let you control what areas are affected by the filter. This would be great for giving an extra dimension of control - although if you can use a ant-line lasso select example then let me know (uses the alpha element of an image memblock to signify selected pixels).

Aegrescit medendo
Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2006 20:22
I'll try to realize all these things of course.
In addition i have some news:
It's possible now to create simple textures. The format doesn't matter, 64*64, 512*512 or 5132*632.
I needed about 10 seconds to create the following grass-texture:

It's not good enough to be used in professional games but if you don't have any time to make better textures this texture is maybe good for a demo or screenshots.

Creating such textures is very easy: You create a palet of colors (in this case 32 different green-types), open an image with the size you want to have, use the texture-filter and select the palet. Then the texture looks this way:

Then you blur it with the water-filter (if you want to) and the texture is ready.

(So if you create own palets, you'll need more then 10 seconds but some palets are already ready )
WarGoat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2006 20:43
Looking very good! The making texture feature look very promising. HOpe to get more news soon.

Windows XP,pentium IV, 3.0 MGZ, 1024 mb memory, 256 mb ATI Radeon PCIE X700 Pro 'sett squadron back on the assault'
EddieB
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2006 00:19
What alg did you use for the carpet effect?
Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2006 01:08
For the carpet effect I used nearly the same code, I used for the oilpainting-effect. But the program draws not all dots, but random ones.
Oddmind
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2006 00:20 Edited at: 15th Jul 2006 00:24
Das siet sehr schone an. Ich muss mehr "filters" oder "tools" haben. Gute arbeit und ich moechte ein demo spielen.

Ich mog die Oil Painting und Wall Carpet Bilder so viel.

vielleicht, wann du machst Werkzeuge für die Programme (Bleistift, Gummi, Bürste etc) es ganz gut ist.

ist das deine erste Komputer Programme dass du hast gemacht?

Leider über mein "Deutsch" sprechen weil es nicht so gut ist.

EDIT: oh wir sprechen so viel mehr über eine Wand.

formerly KrazyJimmy

Prayers for rain...
Chris Franklin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2006 18:36
English?

Platformer Compo!
WHITEKNUCKLE IS BACK! Check the wip boards for more info
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2006 18:54
looks cool, the texture generator and the image editor. Nice job .

Pirates of Port Royale
Live the life of a pirate.
Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2006 22:03
Woo... sorry I've just forgotten the thread. (Have been in france for holiday).

Quote: "Das siet sehr schone an. Ich muss mehr "filters" oder "tools" haben. Gute arbeit und ich moechte ein demo spielen.

Ich mog die Oil Painting und Wall Carpet Bilder so viel.

vielleicht, wann du machst Werkzeuge für die Programme (Bleistift, Gummi, Bürste etc) es ganz gut ist.

ist das deine erste Komputer Programme dass du hast gemacht?

Leider über mein "Deutsch" sprechen weil es nicht so gut ist.

EDIT: oh wir sprechen so viel mehr über eine Wand."

Quote: "-->It looks fine. I must have more filters and tools. Good work, i want to play a demo.
I like the Oil painting and wall carpet effect.
Maybe the programm is good, if you make tools (pencil, eraser, [Bürste in English ] etc).
Is it the first computer application you have made?
[I don't really know the sense of this sentence...->]I speak German because it's not good [or so Oo]

EDITh, we talk through a wall [I think]"

OK, now I have to say, after some testing with filters (e.g. I made a relief-filter and better and faster blur-filters) and BlueGUI I stopped working on it - for the next time. Now I am making an RTS and a very secret security tool

But you'll be informed, if/when I continue working on Modern Pictures.
Thanks for your attention.
Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2006 22:25
Blicke sehr nett, sein sehr vielversprechendes. Ich werde innen überrascht an, wie du diese Effekte für Bilder acheived. Großer Job.

Nope, I'm not german either

Applyby has Flies in his Eyes.
Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2006 18:45
Hehe, sounds like google translation.

Because of having Dark Lights, I could also include a lightmapping-function in the tool... but first I have to continue the other projects(Or I want to... 3 at one time would be too much)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 16:29:07
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 16:29:07