Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / at what point does DB become defunct?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Sorry kinda long post....

Ok here's my situation, im doing a Digital Entertainment degree nxt year(well starting in sept.). We will be mainly using C++, 3DStudioMax & Maya (so im told). Ive worked with Vis basic, Java, html and a little C++ in the past. So to brush up on my programing and to start learning some modeling ive got my self DB, Milkshape plus a big book on Maya and some mind bending 3d model physics in C++ book.

At the moment ive had a few plays on DB got a 3d world up and running with textured ground a Quake style movement system and some 3d objects knocking around. I'll have my first human model knocked out on milkshape in a couple of days.

I was just wondering when will i hit a wall with DB capabilities? will the games i make with it hog system resources more than say the same program done in C++ when im using high polygon models? are there some important features it just doesn't have over a lower level code? or is DB solid right upto a commercial level of games production?

Thanks for your help
Witch Bomber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2003 03:43
I'm not exactly sure about DB's limitations, but it does have them. If you're getting a degree and looking for a career in programming, you will probably be using C++ by the time you get to anything really advanced. No offense to anyone else who uses DB, but it's a more simple language, to encourage "bedroom programmers". Personally, I'm just using DB for the next couple of years to get more experience in programming, before hopefully doing a degree in Computer Games Technology, using C++. Hope this helps.

Visit the new Madd Matt Games Website
http://www.madamattgames.o-f.com/index.htm
Home of Witch Bomber,Magic Cube and Pinball Football(and a lame website)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 03:44:37
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 03:44:37