Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / sky sphere won't work, please help

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2003 00:40
i've made a sky sphere but it's not working right. here's my code:

i turned the backdrop off because i couldn't tell if it was blocking my view of the sphere. when i did this, it showed the sphere, but when i moved my mouse, the screen started to smear with everything that was showing on it.

i have a large matrix (100,000 x 100,000 if i remember correctly) and my camera range is set to 12,000. i also have the 'set object to camera orientation' im my main loop. what am i doing wrong? please help.
You're ate up like a soup sandwich.
Terabyte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2003 01:11
ok then

firstly turn your backdrop on
secondly due to the size of dark basic sky spheres, you need to extend the camera range. so type somewhere at the start:

the default is something like 3000 or 5000 i think so you need to set it to 6000 using the above statement
this should solve your problem [img][/img]

I have a word of advice...
..don't piss on an electric fence!
Chief Voyager
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2003 02:01
o.k. i tried it, i reset the camera range to 6000 and reduced my sphere to a radius of 5000 and i still can't see my sky sphere, only the backdrop. and the backdrop is on. what do i need to do?

Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2003 02:05
Check the auto camera is turned off.

5000 is a MASSIVE sky sphere, really quite too large IMHO. It should be about 2500 to 3000 at most. The default camera range is 2500, if your object cannot be displayed entirely by the camera it won't appear at all. Try with much smaller values to begin with and work up (500 for example). Does it even appear then? If not there is another issue (object position, camera position, etc).

Cheers,

Rich

"Gentlemen, we are about to short-circuit the Universe!"
DB Team / Atari ST / DarkForge / Retro Gaming
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2003 02:06
Your problem is your setting the object wrong.s

set object 15000,1,0,1,1,0,0,0

Makes the object transparent

You need to do this instead

set object 15000,1,1,0,1,0,0,0

Which will make the CULL flag set to 0 which will make all polies pointing out point in. Read about that to understand it better.

RPGamer

Current - RPG: Eternal Destiny
http://www.halbrosproductions.netfirms.com
Dont ask those questions! Read the help files lazy! Oh ya, and Tat has a plugin for that!
Chief Voyager
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2003 02:11
thanx guys, i'm gonna try your suggestions real quick

Chief Voyager
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2003 02:20
i'm still not seeing it. i changed the radius of my sphere to 500 and set my camera range to 2500 and it still doesn't show. i see it flash on the screen for a split second (and it's right in front of the camera and it looks small) but that's all i get.

Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2003 03:11
Erm are you sure this isn't just a case of not updating the screen every loop?

Cheers,

Rich

Chief Voyager
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2003 03:14
nope, i make the sky in a subroutine. the set object to camera orientation is in the loop and the loop is sync'd.

Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2003 03:15
Post the full code here.

Chief Voyager
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2003 03:42
here ya go!

i've got the scale and fade commands commented out because they're not helping now.

like i said, i've got set object to camera orientation in the main loop, the main loop is sync'd and my camera range is set to 2500.

another thing, i know that one of the parameters of the set object command won't draw black to the screen. my texture is a bitmap image of space (stars, ect.) and there is some black in it and i toggled the parameter of transparancy on and off, and it still had no effect. thanx in advance for this annoying problem.

Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2003 03:47
That can't be all the code - you don't have a sync loop anywhere.

More importantly - comment out the orientation command also, I don't feel it's helping matters.

Cheers,

Rich

Chief Voyager
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2003 03:57
o.k., i didn't know you need the whole thing. it's kind of long, so here it is.

i know it's rather sloppy, i'm still very new at this stuff. i'll try and comment out the object orientation command to see what it does. thanx a bunch, rich!

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2003 09:25
5000 is a MASSIVE sky sphere

Are you sure about that? If 5000 is so big then how will you be able to see any other enemy/objects within the sphere also? I quote the help file thing:

Quote: "When you import a model from an external source, you should be aware of the dimensional size of your object. Models that are less than 50 units in size are too small and will appear tiny when loaded. Models that exceed several thousand units are too large and may disappear into the back clipping plane. Clipping planes define the finite visibility of your 3D world, and range from 1 (nearest to the camera) to 5000 (furthest point from the camera). You can change this using the SET CAMERA RANGE command."

If objects are supposed to be sized from 100 - 1000, then how will any fit inside a tiny skysphere, or am I just being stupid and don't know what I'm doing? I'm being stupid aren't I?

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2003 14:56
Ok I see where you're coming from. You are thinking of the sky sphere in the wrong way. The sphere doesn't need to cover the whole map, it needs to cover the camera.

For example - you have say a 100,000 sized game world with objects all over it - you don't need a 100,000 sized sky sphere. You need a sky sphere just within the camera range (which defaults to 2500). The center of the sphere is then positioned at the camera X,Y,Z and moves with you. To all intents and purposes it'll look like the sky remains static, but technically it's just an object moving around the map with you.

Now can you see why a sphere of 5000 is just too large? In order to use it you'd need a camera range of just over 5000 and, quite frankly, that's pretty big and will be rendering objects in the distance as mere dots.

Cheers,

Rich

Chief Voyager
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2003 17:05
o.k. i understand that, but how come mine doesn't even work?

Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2003 17:18
Probably because you're positioning your camera 46,000 units into the scene (on the Z axis) and that is not where your sphere is. I can't see anywhere in your code where the sphere is positioned (or even loaded actually).

Cheers,

Rich

Chief Voyager
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2003 02:03
if you look at my code, my skysphere is loaded in a subroutine, weather. i thought that set object to camera orientation was supposed to position the object. so i need to position the object at the same coordinates as the camera? or how does it need to be placed? i'm not at my computer now so i can't try it but i would really like to know. sorry i keep bugging you guys about this stuff. i got the book, but it doesn't go over 3D very well. thanx for any help.

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2003 09:07 Edited at: 2nd Apr 2003 09:10
Rich, that's exactly what I am doing, and even with a skysphere the size of 5000 I don't see my enemies until they are right up close to me because the skysphere blocks my view. Does this mean my enemies are too large?

Edit: Oh, and chief, Set object to camera orientation just aligns the rotation with your camera. To set your object to the same position as the camera you will need something like this:

Just change 100 to your skysphere's object number.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Chief Voyager
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2003 17:12
Exeat, i tried that out before and it didn't work. i tried that with set object orientation on and off and i still can't see my sphere. thanx for the tip, though. any other ideas? my full code for this project is in the 'now what?' forum thread in the newcomers corner. it's also in this thread if someone wants to look at it. i really need help on this because it is getting rather frustrating that something so simple i can't get to work.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 03:39:34
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 03:39:34