Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / exclude object & delete object command

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2006 02:37
when u use exclude object,what exactly happens to the object?

is it just placed in memory?also does it use less memory?

& delete object; is the object deleted really wiped from memory?
or is there a residual trace of it in the system still eating up a little memory?

im not sure how to test this,so i thought id ask.
DK_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2006 17:30 Edited at: 20th Jun 2006 17:32
Exclude object just 'excludes' it from being drawn to the screen. The object isn't placed in memory when the command is called because it is already in memory when the object is created. Does it use less memory? Not too sure but I think it does, because if it didn't then what is the difference between exclude and hide object. I think exclude stops the object from going to video memory. Once again though, I am not sure about that.

When something is deleted from memory it doesn't actually go to that memory address and set everything to null, instead it just forgets about that memory address, but the information most likely is still there. But it doesn't "eat up" memory, because if you create another object or variable it will simply overwrite the previous info.

Available for programming position using DBPro.
Also, good at multiplayer coding, contact at:
laptop5002@hotmail.com
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2006 18:55
EXCLUDE OBJECT removes the object from the polling process. So when the screen is updated, it doesn't even know the object exists. If the object is hidden, it still has to be processed and takes up processing time.

Baggers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2006 10:04
Once an object is deleted it's gone from memory, however the process of deleting does take a little time.
Once it's gone though it won't be slowing you down. As far as I am aware if there are any residual bits of memory left by objects, they wouldnt slow things down and they would be cleaned up by DBP on exit.
But I doubt that they even leave a trace in memory

M.I.A is pending

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-25 01:29:08
Your offset time is: 2024-09-25 01:29:08