Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / RTS Framework

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2006 19:51 Edited at: 24th Jun 2006 01:29
RTS Framework

Introduction:

What is RTS Framework? Simply put, it's FPS creator for RTS games. But rather then providing an editor, the project is aimed at releasing easy to use, and well documented source code for users to purchase, thus dramatically cutting down the time of any RTS development. The royalty free license will allow any user to add their own models, sounds effects, music, video's etc, and then resell the game. Or you can alter the source code in any way without having to release the changes.

Required to run the RTS Framework will be:

DarkAI
DarkPhysics
DarkBASIC Expantion pack

Allowing the engine to be the most advanced it is possible to produce using DarkBASIC Professional.

The source code will be modular in nature. Being little more then a collection of custom made functions for the users to call, and alter in any way they see fit. A full help file, describing the function in question, will be provided, as will documentation for any scripts that the project might use. The software will allow you to either hard code your own unit and building data, or load scripts so your engine is modifiable.

The Framework will come with a full demonstration game with menu's, sounds, models and music so you will be fully aware of what you can do with it. I will release a free demo version of the game for users to try before buying the framework.

The price for the engine will be around £35 - £75 depending on which version you get. There will be a low price version that doesn't include shaders, a middle priced version that does include shaders, plus a full version that has additional model packs, sounds and music. In about six to twelve months I'll be releasing an EA version which will include model packs, shaders and sounds (no music) for the price of the mid range product. In about six to twelve months after that the full version will officially be released.

At the moment the project is approximately 12% complete, and I'll post updates here for everyone to view. I'll include the first WIP screen shot of the game in action sometime within the next two weeks.

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it's larger than 600x120...

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Chris Franklin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2006 20:41
Quote: "At the moment the project is approximately 12% complete, and I'll post updates here for everyone to view. I'll include the first WIP screen shot of the game in action sometime within the next two weeks."

No screens = lock

Stunt man 2 http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=79827&b=8&p=0
WHITEKNUCKLE IS BACK! Check the wip boards for more info
Kenjar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2006 20:53 Edited at: 24th Jun 2006 01:29
If that is the case then a mod will lock it.

Attachments

hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2006 21:46
It sounds like quite an interesting idea (RTS is my favorite style of game, and someday, I'm going to sit down and write one.) But I think you're posting about this a little too early.

Anyway, I'll be anxiously awaiting some screenshots.

The crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2006 23:20
This sounds awesome Kenjar. Good luck!

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2006 00:41
Quote: "It sounds like quite an interesting idea (RTS is my favorite style of game, and someday, I'm going to sit down and write one.)"

Or take the lazy route and buy Torque with the RTS starter kit.

But Kenjar dude, no.1 tip to aviod getting flames, look out for stickies, not to get flamed, locked, slapped etc. in this section is to follow the guideline to making a WIP thread here.
1- Good description - you got one
2- Images, jpg images - The thing that causes the most flames and ends up winding up the thread maker in the process, no doubt people will end up winding you up, now images have to be relevant and show promising progress
3- Regular updates (unless project on hold after a reasonable time)

I'm afriad its just how things are on this forum, keeps the stupid posts and threads down. Mods may not lock this yet, but you will get fair few flames, if you're 12% complete, thats enough to start showing screenshots, even if they look ugly at this point, but at least it gives us something to go on.

I am sparticus and so is my wife
The crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2006 00:54
I still believe in you. I've seen what you can do. (I think) This is a bit early, but I know you'll produce something good. Good luck Kenjar.

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2006 03:19
Well, it being Kenjar, I think we can let this one slide. It's certainly an interesting idea, and I'm sure lots of people would be interested. Although Kenjar, I'd have certainly included some concept art.

One suggestion Kenjar, £35 seems like too much. Especially since you'll need DarkAI, DarkPhysics, and the Expansion Pack. What is that, like $170 total (assuming that £35 is around $50). I think that will make it impossible for most people to even consider.

I also think that a basic editor would increase the value of your product. Just a visual editor to set up the scenes would be good, I think.

Well, good luck with it. I look forward to seeing your progress.

Come see the WIP!
Kenjar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2006 23:08 Edited at: 24th Jun 2006 01:29
lol, a new game would cost around 25 to 35 pounds depending. And of cause you don't have resell rights. If you don't want to spend the money, then don't, you can create an engine from scratch yourself. If you want to cut down the developement time, and approve of the demo I'll be releasing, then 35 pounds isn't a big sum of money.

The price of DarkAI, the expantion pack and DarkPhysics might be a little high for you to bare as well, but again, if you're not planning to produce a commerical game with it, don't bother buying it.

Attachments

Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "The price of DarkAI, the expantion pack and DarkPhysics might be a little high for you to bare as well, but again, if you're not planning to produce a commerical game with it, don't bother buying it.
"

Understandable, but you have to take into account that with these requirements you'll be limiting sales. For physics you could do Newton or ODE to cut down the price for some people at least.

Kenjar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2006 23:29 Edited at: 20th Jun 2006 23:32
Fair point, however my aim is to produce an engine that is as advanced as it's possible to be, and as easy as it's possible to be. Dark AI removes alot of the headaches from AI programming, Dark Physics has future technology support, we all know what the expantion pack does. That fact is, that I beleive these plugin's will futher reduce developement time, and make the existing code much easier to manipulate. IF the engine falls short of my expectations, and I decide it's not worth 35 pounds, I'll be releasing it as open source. Quite apart from anything else, I've had to purchase these plugins myself, plus numberous books including advanced books on shader design. IT all mounts up, and selling for less then 35 a pop just isn't worth my time.

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2006 20:29 Edited at: 21st Jun 2006 20:30
Quote: "The price of DarkAI, the expantion pack and DarkPhysics might be a little high for you to bare as well, but again, if you're not planning to produce a commerical game with it, don't bother buying it."

I've already bought everything TGC sells. My advice was not for me, it was for your target audience.

Quote: "If you don't want to spend the money, then don't, you can create an engine from scratch yourself. "

You're so stand-offish. I was supporting your thread and offering advice at the same time. Creating engines from scratch is what I do, by the way. My intent is different than most, though. I'm building my portfolio, not just making games.

Anyway, this does sound like an interesting idea. I'll certainly check on it from time to time. I look forward to your tech demo as well.

Come see the WIP!
Kenjar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2006 14:21
Quote: "I've already bought everything TGC sells. My advice was not for me, it was for your target audience."

I'm not out to make a ton of profit. I would rather sell just 1 copy of RTS Framework to a sucessful project, and have the RTS Framework name associated with it, then sell 100 copies to failed projects, and unimaginative mods. Anyone who is serious about game developement in DarkBASIC Professional will have no problems spending money on plugin's for DBP, as you have.

TDP Enterprises
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2006 15:21 Edited at: 23rd Jun 2006 15:22
Quote: "No screens = lock"

um, no. This thread is the perfect example of how a well respected member of the community can post a project that is 12% complete and get away with it.

Quote: "I'm not out to make a ton of profit. I would rather sell just 1 copy of RTS Framework to a sucessful project, and have the RTS Framework name associated with it, then sell 100 copies to failed projects, and unimaginative mods. Anyone who is serious about game developement in DarkBASIC Professional will have no problems spending money on plugin's for DBP, as you have.

Required to run the RTS Framework will be:

DarkAI
DarkPhysics
DarkBASIC Expantion pack

"

hmm....think this is all a desperate ploy by TGC to get me to buy their expansion packs...

But anywho, it sounds like an interesting project, kenjar. I'll keep an eye on this thread.

Snow Wars is making its return, check out the Game Design Theory board for more info...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 14:24:31
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 14:24:31