Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / DB 1.13 complaint

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
A very brief reference is made in the DB multiplayer help menu stating "you can simulate a multiplayer game by running two apps" or something to this nature.

I cannot find any way to do this, even after forcing one app to insist on hosting via TCP/IP, and the other app to be a joiner using the same connection type.

I've tried IP #'s like 127.0.0.0, and many others, but the joiner NEVER finds the net session that the host claims to have successfully opened. In the sessions menu, the joiner app always reports 0 sessions to choose from.

These are just copies of the DB multiplayer sample programs with a few minor changes.

Could someone please tell me what it means when it asks for an IP number but you're the host. I thought only the client players need to know the IP # of the host.

I paid $55 for my copy of DB but they have never answered any of my questions on a technical level, and always hint to upgrade to DBPro. I have the demo of DBPro and the multiplayer stuff looks the same to me, no details on how to simulate a 2-player game from two copies of the game running on the same computer.

--> cocotower@hotmail.com
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2002 09:28
well i've asked the guys for helps many times (sometimes on the stupidest of things ) ... but recently something quite complex and been answered everytime.

while it is possible to have a host <-> client on the same machine, you need to setup the programs to seperate IP gateways (this is DirectPlay related not DB related)
When you specific the IPs you'll find it should detect it.

However also under XP and DirectX versions below 8.1 you will find peertopeer problems ... basically because DirectPlay attempts to find your network card if no external setup is asked for and if it doesnt find one then it gets confused.

Really what you should be looking to do is actually testing a games net connection over a network of somekinda, be that Dial-Up - Broadband Network - LAN or Serial/Null Modem ... as at no time realisticly will anyone need to play against themselves, and the network time is tainted due to the fact that it never ACTUALLY leaves the computer ... so benchmarking reaction time (ping) and game speed is useless. As the ping will match the program speed and the program speed will be cut in half doing identicle operations. It also doesn't test if the connection is properly made using external stuff like Modems or Network Cards.

Really if you want to test it properly, get ahold of an ftp or something where you can upload data and test that way.

Holy jumping mother of god NOOOO!!!...
Ahem I mean, I'll think about it
CoCoTower
Years of Service
User Offline
that really doesn't help much. I want to simulate right now before I call my buddy in another state to do real playing. I'm doing this for my own reason.

I did try 127.0.0.1 when the host program asked for an IP. it took a while then apparently started a connection but reported 0 sessions.

The client program can't find 127.0.0.1 or the name of my PC either and always reports 0 sessions and locks up when asking for a session #. None available.

These are DB example programs I just divided into two programs and forced each to insist on being the host or joiner. nothing more.

I'm using XP and Direct8.1 <-- Eight point One

How does a DB program deal with separate IP gateways? All it wants is a dern IP #, nothing more.

The Scorpion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2002 19:24
Also what port (since it doesn't ask) does DB's multiplayer system run on? I beleive there should be a way to change it.

I would like to upgrade to DBPro but see there is a slight problem... I bought it LONG ago back when it wasn't that popular and got the electronic version (that's what they call it now). Well all I have is the key. I don't have a receit and didn't get a manual. Is there anyway for me to upgrade? Or do I have to pay $100 that I don't have to get DBPro.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2002 04:07
the the IP Gateway will be dermined by DB itself or Windows, and really should always be 255.255.255.0 for an internal network.
The IP it requests if the the Terminal IP - I would recommend the Windows defualts of 168.192.0.[terminal with 1 = host]
from what i remember only the client requires the host IP, no?

Holy jumping mother of god NOOOO!!!...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 12:18:01
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 12:18:01