Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Boxen - a don't-fall-off-the-plattforms-game! (DBC)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2006 19:33
Ok, I've written on this game for a couple of days now, and I guess the major parts are finnished. Those are the level-editor, a quite simple so far; but I'll be working on it after the game has gone furhter, and of course the game itself is playable.

The objective in this level I've made is just to fetch all the keys before the time runs out, and the good news is that it's imposible to complete that just because it's to damn many keys!
(At least I haven't completet that)

My thoughts around what to do next is to add some kind of story-line that'll make the player more eager to complete the game; plus a few power-ups. I also want to animate the character, but I have no idea how to use the various programs I've obtained, so that'll be something I'll fix later.
And of course; an intro, a menu, and sound will be added as the project continues.

Oh, yes! The controls!
Those are quite simple. There are two ways to control the character: one is to be using the arrowkeys and the spacekey to jump. The other way, which I find most useable, is to use the mouse to look/steer, the right mouse button to walk, the left to jump, and the scroll wheel to go backwards.

About the level-editor. As soon as you've exit the editor, there will be a new file created in the same folder called "bana.txt". Simply put that in the "banor"-folder in which there is another file with the same name.
(Sorry for the swedish names )

So what do you think? Any bugs you've found? Any suggestion?

www.godhatessweden.com

My name, Stora_tomtefar, means "Big santa claus" in swedish.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2006 19:42
Screens before download please.

[url]andrewneale2004@yahoo.com[/url]
http://www.elbsoftware.dbspot.com
The crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2006 19:51 Edited at: 20th Jun 2006 19:54
Pretty good game. I like it. I'm a big fan of platformers. Controls were kind of hard but I got used to it.

Two bad things... (sorry )
1. There should be maybe a shadow below him. Mine needs one too but I don't know how yet
2. I fell through at some points in the level.

Great start, keep it up. Here's a screenshot

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it's larger than 600x120...

Attachments

The crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2006 19:55
Hey, by the way. How did you make the particle-looking stuff? I know it's DBC so I was just wondering...

Stora tomtefar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2006 21:12 Edited at: 20th Jun 2006 21:14
Quote: "Pretty good game. I like it. I'm a big fan of platformers. Controls were kind of hard but I got used to it.

Two bad things... (sorry )
1. There should be maybe a shadow below him. Mine needs one too but I don't know how yet
2. I fell through at some points in the level.

Great start, keep it up. Here's a screenshot"

Thanks! I'm glad you liked it. The shadow shouldn't be a major problem, I'll fix it right away. Very good idea, by the way, I haven't thought about it at all!

And about that problem were you fell through the boxes, did you fall through them while standing on them, or did you jump to a box and fall through, altough you were standing on its edge?
In case it's like the latest alternative, the problem could be that the player doesn't fall down if he is inside the cubes area, but I could make that calculation different so the player needs to be inside the cube's area+plus some more.

@The crazy
It isn't so complicated; I just created like 50 plains, made the spin like crazy, and then let them slowly fall down:

I don't know if that code snippet makes sense, but it may answer your question?

www.godhatessweden.com

The crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2006 21:17
Ah, I see. Thanks a lot.

About the falling through the boxes, I think the program was just not catching it by chance. It only happened some times. Like maybe I was falling too fast and it didn't know there was collision from time to time.

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2006 21:18 Edited at: 20th Jun 2006 21:19
If you want to make a simple shadow, put this texture on a plain and ghost it and set dark ghosting to 1. Then just use raycasting to position the shadow.

Attachments

The crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2006 21:19
Ah, thank you very much.

Stora tomtefar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2006 21:55
@The crazy
Hmm, I can't figure out what it is that causing the problem. I'll try to make the calculation slighty different, and maybe it'll solve everything!

@zzz
Are you sure that the command "dark ghosting" works in DBC? I've never heard of it.

www.godhatessweden.com

Tinkergirl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2006 22:17
zzz is a master at DB Classic

Chances are it's the flag at the end of "Ghost object", if you check the help files it should mention a flag, I think.

Stora tomtefar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2006 22:51 Edited at: 20th Jun 2006 22:54
Hey, there were flags, there! Sweet!

I also just found Sven B's old limb animator. Hell, now I can animate that stiff character. Wohoo!
I'm kinda happy!

www.godhatessweden.com

My name, Stora_tomtefar, means "big santa claus" in swedish.
Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks interesting. And this Sven B's limb animator, may I ask where you found it? I really don't want to search for it.

Stora tomtefar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2006 14:45 Edited at: 22nd Jun 2006 17:53
Sure thing!
I found i by searching for "animation" in the DBC section - were I found a topic named "Skeletal animation", in which there was a link to his topic:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=59665&b=10

www.godhatessweden.com

Attachments

Stora tomtefar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2006 17:51 Edited at: 22nd Jun 2006 17:53
Ok, an update:

It isn't much for the eye, but I spent the whole yesterday to figure out a which animation program to use (I used Milkshape) and to make three animation sequenses; jumping, running and falling. I don't what you think about them, but I think they made the game look real nice!

www.godhatessweden.com

Attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 14:23:32
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 14:23:32