Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Buy the new book

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2003 22:46 Edited at: 1st Apr 2003 22:48
I'm currently reading the new DB/DBP book and it's excellent i'm currently learning about strings, i really reccomend this book i have learned more in 2 days reading the book than i have in a month of doing tutorials buy it in a few days i'm gonna do a program showing what i know through using the book.

2ghz, ati radeon mobility 32mb DDR, 30gb, 256mb DDR ram, Win Xp
koolaid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2003 23:29
does this book really help you more because i ve had dark basic for a little while now and am still clueless in some areas i get a lot of help here from people who knows this stuff well see i can learn better if i had actual examples retaining to what i want to do.
lcfcfan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2003 00:23 Edited at: 2nd Apr 2003 00:25
yes i am only 122 pages in at the minute but it's very good at explaining stuff i am the same as you i was having problems understanding dbp code but i seem to be picking it up much faster now, for example you code quite a few things to do with one topic like i'm doing strings at the moment once you have done these tutorials (when i say tutorials i mean more like examples that you copy out) you do a quiz at the end of the chapter which asks you questions on things you have learned which is good cos it helps you remember and if you are unsure of anything you just go back to the thing you don't understand and do it again if you want to, so far all the tutorials i have done are very simple but very helpful they are explained well to show you what code does what and how it works, i recomend that all the noobs buy it, theres probably something for more advanced users aswell in the later chapters too.

MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2003 00:35
If I've been only coding in Dark Basic would it be worth it for me to buy
Dark Basic Pro and buy the book you're talking about?

I mean, I hear all these bugs about DBP, yet DBP offers much more.

P.S. Where did you get that book.(Amazon,local bookstore,Dark Basic website?)

Clans of our Galaxy
A new space simulation coming in 2004 -yellow-
updates on CooG: 25 untextured spaceship models
KamaKase
Years of Service
User Offline
...Does it talk about GeoSphering and, ermm shaders and all the other complicated stuff that Raven always manages to talk about...

lcfcfan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2003 01:29 Edited at: 2nd Apr 2003 01:31
I got it from amazon.co.uk but i think you can get it from the db website, i think it pretty much covers everything [kamakase] in db/dbp although i'm not sure if it would be worth you buying it if you already know db [yellow] cos i have not finished it yet but if you can do nearly anything without using the manual in db then i would not imagine you would need it but if you still have problems with coding db then this book will help you without a doubt.

Chief Voyager
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2003 01:32
It barely touches on shaders. in fact, there isn't much about 3D period. it does explain a lot about basic programming stuff, but i was very disappointed that it really didn't cover much about 3D. i'm having trouble with math collision, and it's nowhere to be found in the book. in fact, it really just talks about 2D collision, and not much else. it goes into a lot about 2D, but it doesn't do 3D any justice. and yes, it does go over both classic and pro. but if you want a lot of information on 3D, let's hope they do another book.

You're ate up like a soup sandwich.
lcfcfan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2003 00:03
Dunno i have not got that far yet voyager to the 3d stuff, but any noobs who buy this book will benefit from it guaranteed.

PokeSmot
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2003 05:16
i cuncur, i am likin this book! i have had db for 2 weeks and the book for 1, and it has really helped me understand some lower level stuff and has pre-emptivly answered questions that i would have formed on my own i have skipped all over and would guess that an intermediate user probally wont take much from this book but it's great for newbies (remember that DB has over a thousand commands!!!that would be hard to fully document in a book!!!)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 03:36:06
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 03:36:06