Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2003 04:04
i have heard the term "engine" before but i'm not totally sure what it is. Is DB the engine or do u create it in DB does every game need and engine or only certain games i have DB standard and from what i have gathered will be limited in how complex of a game i can make till i upgrade to DBPro, not that i'm quite ready to ebark on such a quest! but i'm itchin to!
Megaman Zero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2003 05:24
An engine is basicaly what runs the programs, kinda like a car. The engine is what compiles, makes your code work, & runs all aspects of a game.

It is sometimes called a game engine, which is used to make mainly games. Like a car, the engine is what makes things go.

PokeSmot
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2003 06:04
so then VB or C++ could also be considered engines? whats the relation between these and say the infamous "quake" engine? after all i'm guessing a game like quake was written in c or c++
large_nostril
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2003 07:30
The language isn't an "engine" in itself per se. The engine is what you make using DB/Pro. The engine is what "drives" your prog to do anything. All of your code is structured around the engine. I'll use a FPS for an example. The engine is what allows the character to move, to shoot, to aim, etc. Essentially, the engine determines anything that happens for a given event. That is, if the player shoots and hits the opponent, what happens. The engine determines this. But the engine is only as powerful as the programmer. You have to code your own engine. And determine what happens for any given event and program that into the engine.

If you want fresh underwear in the morning, take it off the night before.
PokeSmot
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2003 08:38
ok that makes more sense, i think shadow assumed i knew more than i do! lol a common mistake. sounds like the engine is a pretty complex thing. i'm new so i'm not gonna try building a game engine just yet cuz i'd fail miserably but at least i'm more clear as to what it is. right now i'm studying strings and data types! kinda boring but you gotta lay the bricks if you want the house to stand!
x-d
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2003 09:58
PokeSmot if only 50% of the users here had your attitude there would be a lot less hassle and frustration.

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2003 11:02 Edited at: 2nd Apr 2003 11:04
pokesmot will travel far in his programming ventures, with an attitude like that....^_^ Man I wish I had such an attitude...but I'm too anxious i guess:p

Oh ya, btw, sometimes DB is referred to incorrectly as an 'engine', it should be referred to as a '3d engine' because all of the 3d is ready to go in just a few commands, but what events do and things like that, are up to the 'game engine'.

[center]These are called variables and each one has a little label on it carved in cuneiform script by the hand of an ancient Babylonian black box engineer.
Megaman Zero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2003 15:54
Hey Jerico2day, I think DB is considered a language, more than an engine. Most engines have some kind of map editor that comes with it, & code that you can make work together, in multiple files, so on & so forth.

I personaly, consider DB an actual language, rather than an engine. An engine is considered by most other "engines", a tool to easily create games, with map editors, a language, model editors, etc, which DB doesnt have. Sure you can go out & get a map editor, or a model editor, but they dont come with DB.

Sure the engine is what runs everything, but you have to get external resources, which cant be considered an actual engine, unless they give out a free map editor, a way to make an easy menu, a way to make code, to no code (considered "click & create"), but there is an engine to every programing language, its just not considered an engine. But thats just my belief.

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2003 02:51
Quote: "I personaly, consider DB an actual language, rather than an engine."

i also dont consider it an engine, but some people like to call db a 3d engine, as you don't have to go out of your way to get a polygon on the screen...but ya, i like to refer to db as a programming language

PokeSmot
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2003 04:17
i guess what your saying is unless ur insane enough to understand machine language ur always using an engine of some sort cuz they are all built off some thing lower level?

btw: thanks for the kind words, i try to have a good attitude cuz first off ppl will react better to you/me second i belong to a board for an unrelated topic and quite frankly it's rarely usefull the ppl are very petty. u never know one day we may work together so if i'm nice now u got no beef later
Ben
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2003 11:15
WOW you do have a good atitude if i ever make a programming team, you're invited!

Tha D'lithi'om CRR'ist'lls Can'na Tek it Cap'n!
Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2003 16:57
The good thing about dbpro being a language and not an engine is its room for expansion. I am working on 2 rpgs atm. A most of you probably know i am doing work for Eternal Destiny. I am currently working up some kind of Interface Engine in dbpro so i can create all kinds of controls easily and seamlessly. Anybody who has attempted to create an interface will know of how difficult it is in db/pro

Where did his Ak-47 go.
PokeSmot
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2003 01:17
what does "atm" mean? and i'm glad to see ppl are makin RPG's i have been hooked on rpg ever since i played final fantasy 2 for the snes and it is deffinately a goal of mine to write an rpg series!
at first i was worried cuz i saw thre sweet demo of an rpg in the showcase only to find it was abandoned which made me wonder if DB was'n't up to task but i now i see ppl like RPGamer workin on rpgs and they look most impressive!
ps. post ur web site mneumonic if u have one i'd like to see some screens!
PokeSmot
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2003 01:18
o..at the moment oO(duh)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 03:53:00
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 03:53:00