Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / RPG1 - Ambitious rpg project

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2006 02:45
RPG1 is the temporary name for my project (ill think up a better one soon! ) I was inspired after playing TES4blivion (a brilliant game) and i want to make something of a similar scope (if not in depth, at least in the size of the game world ). Basically the engine will load an area, + the 8 areas surrounding it on the map, hopefully giving illusion of a very large world space. My progress after a weeks worth of work is attached, it demonstrates the grass system with fading, some simple trees and the night time ambience. Not much, but i like how its turned out so far hehe.

BTW 1 Q: For my grass fading, ive used the "set alpha mapping on" command and while this works perfect (fades out just like it should), i get a terrible lag if i run through a grass field the second time. The first time, not all obj have alpha applied, i think this is the problem. Is there anyway to disable alpha mapping? (set alpha mapping on obj number,0 still leaves it laggy). I have included an option to disable fading, just in case.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2006 03:07
Pretty good. I can't help you with your problem though, but maybe if you showed me some code?

Uncle Sam
Nvidia Geforce 7600 GS 256MB PCIEx, 2.66 GHZ Pentium 4 proccessor, 768MB RAM
Need particles? Click here!
Xo TwOfAcE oX
Years of Service
User Offline
looks good, cant wait to play it
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2006 05:52
Sorry, not enough for a WIP.

It's like a Megaton Cat radar, 24 hours a day.
The crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2006 06:36
Well done Casper. I like the lighting or something... cant quite put my finger on it... but it's got a good vibe to it in my opinion.

Casper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2006 11:32
Thanks for the comments guys

Sam, here is grass fade code from the main do loop:

And yes cat, its just an early wip, but work in progress is work in progress no? Im just happy with what ive done so far and wanted to show it off Ill post again later once i have some enemies or npcs in
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2006 12:39
Casper, I'd really focus on gameplay and core mechanics before I go off and start building a massive world. Most RPGs die a horrible death because that's the standard approach people take. WIP is littered with the bones of promising looking games that were built improperly.

Also, after you design your engine core, I'd break every major task into sub projects using that template. At a certain point, it becomes impractical to make small changes to a huge, slow loading engine.

Good luck with it.

Come see the WIP!
Casper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2006 14:08
hey Cash, you're very right and ill take your point into consideration. At the moment im doing the following:

finishing up the world editor
getting the engine to 'auto load' the area

after which i will focus on getting in npcs, enemies and a main town.

I wont actually be doing much world building until i have those done
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2006 16:03
Quote: "And yes cat, its just an early wip, but work in progress is work in progress no?"

"W.I.P is work in progress, and surely, even after just 5 minutes of planning, you could say a game was, work in progress."

Have you even read it? I'm with Cash on this one.

It's like a Megaton Cat radar, 24 hours a day.
The crazy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2006 19:53
Quote: ""W.I.P is work in progress, and surely, even after just 5 minutes of planning, you could say a game was, work in progress.""

He's already got a terrain and plant/tree system with fading. And working on a world editor. That's more than planning dude. I agree it's a bit early but at least it's more than some lame cliche story

Keep it up Casper. I wanna see some more screens

Chris Franklin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2006 00:21
Only just seen this looks really nice more screens please

Platformer Compo!
WHITEKNUCKLE IS BACK! Check the wip boards for more info
Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2006 02:12
Sorry, I just can't seem to understan your code! I think it's more complicated than it needs to be.

Uncle Sam
Nvidia Geforce 7600 GS 256MB PCIEx, 2.66 GHZ Pentium 4 proccessor, 768MB RAM
Need particles? Click here!
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2006 11:37
It's either a screenie of a decent looking RPG, or a cube on a matrix.

What do you prefer to see screenies of?

Really, I think that getting a reasonable environment around you to build your game in is not a bad idea - it keeps things interesting when the game starts out looking nice. Thing is, once you have a level loader, like once you can edit, save, and load your levels into an engine, you make that into a library, and can use it in more programs. Like you can work on different aspects using the same engine, then combine them all in the final game once your happy with how they work.

How often do we see 'RPG's' made from Darkmatter media on terrains, I'd rather see a foliage system in place than another DM model on a matrix.

Aegrescit medendo
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2006 12:29
Quote: "How often do we see 'RPG's' made from Darkmatter media on terrains, I'd rather see a foliage system in place than another DM model on a matrix."

Well, neither really constitutes an RPG of any substance. I stand by my opinion of core gameplay. Without the capability of gameplay, there is no game, no matter how nice the surroundings.

Placeholder foliage is great while developing the engine. A full foliage system simply slows down compile and initialization time, thus hindering development.

Come see the WIP!
Alquerian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2006 03:25
It is a nice start, making really nice looking graphics is motivational but the dirty work really needs to come first. Flowcharting the engine and gameplay is crucial to the success of your project. I have started a hundred or so projects and I have found the only ones I have finished are the ones with a clear and distinct outline and flow from the beginning.

Making the engine modular, dynamic and scalable will save you a lot of money on aspirin (or vodka). Cash is right on that matter. Hopefully in a few months (after I have more of my ideas and codewise theory implemented) I too will have a WIP to post, but there is no hurry.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle
Casper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2006 09:06
Hi again guys, thanks for your comments Im still working on this, although i had to start from scratch because of some weird corruption when i switched from the DBPro IDE to BlueIDE but in any case progress is coming along quite well! I have lots of great expansive ideas for this game, but im starting with a few simple goals to achieve:

* Get the world/dungeon editor complete (nearly there)
* Get an item editor complete (very important, there will be lots of items available, and this should make life easier for me as well as pave the way for many interesting gameplay features eg. crafting engine)
* Get a first dungeon in with a few rats and goblins

The game is rather standard fantasy stuff im afraid, though i like it that way The premise is that you start off in a dungeon (you have been exiled from the empire for a crime) and you have to survive to escape onto the surface. The game will consist mostly of underground dungeons, caves, temples, and cities, though i intend to let the player topside as well (as seen in the screeny ).

Survival will be hard, you need to be able to make your own fire, cook your own food, find your own shelter etc.

Crafting Engine idea:
i got this brilliant idea recently, and i know it will take alot more work before i can implement it, but im excited about it already. Basically it will be a window that allows the player to combine various items to get others.
4 Slots for 'Tools'
4 Slots for 'Materials'

--------------
Eg say you want to craft an iron longsword, you will need the following:

Tools: A pair of tongs, A hammer
Materials: 2 Iron Sheets

also you would need to be near a very strong heat source, such as a roaring fire or a blacksmiths furnace.
------------

but say you wanted an ash bow?
------------
Tools: A carving knive
Materials: 2 Ash Branches, 1 Twine
------------

It would allow the player to survive entirely on his own, without the need to find or buy things. Though of course, that would be included as well.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2006 12:04
I like the idea of 'ingredients' - that way you can even recycle old weapons for melting down - which ultimately let's you get rid of them totally from the game world. It would be cool if you added scrap items, say broken swords could be melted down, but this stuff you'd find lying around. Maybe make it so you can also re-forge an existing sword, like break a sword and you can fix it as long as you have a furnace and both bits (plus to tools). Would be something different and the kids would love it.

Perhaps dwarves can give extra stuff to help with forging - enchanted metals to add to your furnace and give the sword (or whatever) special powers. Slaying a dragon with a weapon you made yourself would be cool.

Aegrescit medendo

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 14:19:28
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 14:19:28