Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / 2D style fighting game

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
So I've not been on these forums for quite some time and never really posted much about this game...it's been a work in progress for quite some time, mainly just I never have any time to work on it. It's a 2D style fighting game, still don't have an overall goal with it other than nice simple gameplay. Figure maybe if I got some comments on it I might finally get some drive to finish it.

First, let me get my disclaimer clear on this. These models are nothing to do with the game. Neither are the sound effects or animations. This is purely temporary stuff, model was just something laying around, animation was slapped together just to make sure the character was moving, and sounds were also just slapped together to see about it playing sounds. This is not anything like what the final game will look like. The only thing that is part of the final look was the cel shader I used in there.

Basic control scheme is use arrowkeys to control character. E for punch 1, R for punch 2, S for block, D for kick 1, F for kick 2. Right mouse click restarts game, left mouse click exits game. Escape key rebinds key.

The AI is in a very basic state right now.

Known Issues:
jump attacks that go past the opponents but character still collides with causes attack animation to continue even after landing

jumping/blocking/attacking together in some form can cause character to be locked above ground

jump attacks sometimes lock up so hits no longer register

throws will kill dude

That's about it I guess. One thing that isn't actually a bug is that some attacks don't collide too well...that's actually more of an issue with animation and character setup that will not be present with the real models.

I guess what I'm looking for on this are any bugs people happen to notice, any AI code that might help for this sort of game...I guess just anything in general that would make this game better. There's a few random things hidden in the game that are very early development, so if you hit a button and something strange happens that doesn't crash the game, that's probably what it is. Also it's always good to hear what FPS you get and on what kind of system, I know I got a major FPS increase since compiling this under U6. I average between 320-360 FPS on my system.

I don't want multiplayer to become a major part of this discussion with how far off this is from completion, but if anyone has good multiplayer tips for a game like this, they'd be very much welcomed. Currently I only plan on supporting LAN multiplayer. I feel this game should play very fair, and with this enclosed of environment the best way I felt was to make sure both systems were running at the same framerate. This works great for LAN, but it's impossible to play like that over internet.

And finally, here's the link for the game:
http://www.vectorfrankenstein.com/Games/Game.zip
NeX the Fairly Fast Ferret
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2006 18:40 Edited at: 28th Jun 2006 18:41
Hmm... WHAT IS WITH THAT BLOCK?
I would suggest enabling lower screen resolutions. My screen has a max res of 1024x768.

<OMG></OMG>
NeX, you cant be serious - CattleRustler.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2006 19:19
That...that looks so...wrong.

It's like a Megaton Cat radar, 24 hours a day.
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2006 19:21 Edited at: 28th Jun 2006 19:22
It certainly does.

Quote: "get some drive"

<OMG></OMG>
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2006 19:26 Edited at: 28th Jun 2006 19:26
I got a better one:

Attachments

Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2006 19:27 Edited at: 28th Jun 2006 19:32
Eww!

Please play a virtua fighter and learn to animate without ... indulging in your ... fantasies.

Mods, do us a favour! This is disgusting!

Lol!

<OMG></OMG>
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2006 19:31 Edited at: 28th Jun 2006 19:31
Megaton dirty fighting style!!!

I love this game!

Attachments

Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2006 19:35 Edited at: 28th Jun 2006 19:46
I am glad you enjoy it so much...

<OMG></OMG>
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2006 19:42 Edited at: 28th Jun 2006 19:42
All I have to say now is this...

<OMG></OMG>

Attachments

Twu Kai
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2006 23:35 Edited at: 28th Jun 2006 23:37
Quote: "First, let me get my disclaimer clear on this. These models are nothing to do with the game. Neither are the sound effects or animations. This is purely temporary stuff, model was just something laying around, animation was slapped together just to make sure the character was moving, and sounds were also just slapped together to see about it playing sounds. This is not anything like what the final game will look like. The only thing that is part of the final look was the cel shader I used in there."

When you do change the models, maybe make them in different stances?
I'd say that's one of the only problems so far.

It looks good and fun to play so far!

Felthenra-Cat. Hiss your way to freedom.
Jonny Ree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2006 03:14
Hey,
Things seems to be working quite nice.. I do belive the collision will need some work in the final game as well though.. I'm not quite sure what sort of collision system you are currenly using, but I think it needs a bit of tweaking. The main problem with a fighter is all the animation though.. so good luck

Good work so far

Catalyst
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow, this is pretty absurd how one little aspect is the only damn thing people can talk about. Learn to animate? I'm hoping this is all said in jest, but really. Lay off. I didn't care about animation in the game, there was never any intention of the character even being in the game. There was no point in having real animation put in the game. The blocking was just a joke put in because it doesn't matter if he's blocking his crotch or his head, or even pulling a huge shield out of the ground and hiding behind it. It's just a test. It's just a test. IT'S A TEST. Get over it and offer something useful.

@Felthenra
Different stances be there, again, this is just a test, the character has nothing to do with the final. Glad to hear that's one of the only problems!

@Jonny Ree
What aspects of the collision seem faulty? I know some attacks don't register properly, but it's mainly been an issue of the animations, I didn't put the arms going to the middle so sometimes they miss the collision areas. Right now I've got one box around the upper body and head that acts to register body shots, then some boxes on the legs to register leg hits. I also made it so that the longer the fist/foot are colliding with the target object, the more damage it will do. Is it attacks(I think mainly ducking attacks) that aren't registering properly or is it something else that seems wrong with the collision? The collision system is Nuclear Glory, the famously buggy version 3, I should probably get around to changing it to version 4. version 3 was the latest that was out last time I actually did any work on this, since then all I've done is recompiled it under U6.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2006 10:10
Actually I'm more interested in playing a game like that! - one where you can heel them in the groin, maybe add a 'knee-drop on neck move' as well!.

Seriously, there's a gazillion fighting games out there, but none that actually resemble real fighting . You should consider making a different style of fighting game, quirky is good in beat-em-ups, looks at IK+, Kung Fu Chaos, Ragdoll Kung-Fu - they all had amusing bits, some were damn hilarious in bits (esp KFC). When someone is gonna get kicked in the nuts, they don't stand firm and deflect the kick with a flick of the wrist - they curl up like a quaver, protecting their jewels! - people want more realism in games, character reactions and personalities is the way to do it.

I don't think people deliberately concentrated on your groin block - it just amused them, amusing ourselves with this stuff is how to remain sane in a long coding session - if we didn't get to humiliate our characters then coding games would be fairly dull. Put this way, they checked your game and really had nothing that negative to say, it got a good response I think. Come on, we've all made a big head mode by scaling the head limbs, and giggled like idiots at it too!.

Aegrescit medendo
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
I would just say that at that range you do not need a 3D landscape. 2D on plains would look better. Layered plains which Parrallax would look good.

Calevra
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2006 12:28
Quote: "Seriously, there's a gazillion fighting games out there, but none that actually resemble real fighting"

How about The Warriors for the PS2?

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2006 12:57
Real fighting is about un-coordinated swinging of the arms in a general attempt at punching while trying to avoid a pill-shot. Warriors is awesome, but it's really just a 3D beat em up, your still doing mad moves and throwing people about like empty tracksuits. Most of the moves are realistic, but it's the way you can plough through them and stuff that makes it too fast paced - like if they slowed down the gameplay a bit I might enjoy it more; whilst at the same time getting further from the movie plot.

In fighting games the pain sounds so bearable. That's some of what I'm talking about, kick someone in the head, and your usually lucky to get a doof sound, let alone the sound of someone who's just been kicked in the head.

Why not make the guy have a fit instead, get the player concearned about the poor guy, then when the player get's closer to investigate have the NPC slice that achilles tendon with a craft knife.

I'm just thinking that a realistic fighting game, brutally real would be refreshing - like ultimate fighting is the top combat sport, and there's no UF games to speak of, I wanna gouge eyes and break bones dang-sarnit! - and in a physics world with breakable furniture and weapons and sharp bits. DBpro is a good language for this stuff, it can easily handle the performance overhead of a beat-em-up, and at a commercial quality. A PC beat em up has to be different, there's no other way.

Aegrescit medendo
Merk
Years of Service
User Offline
If I remember right there was in fact a fighting game based on UFC, came out some years back, pretty sure it was on PS2 (I could be mistaken).

BTW I agree with Van B, brawling games as opposed to elite martial arts would be a refreshing change.

Hilarious demo, I reckon just make two versions of the game from here, a generic one with your standard kick punch block, and a continuation of what you have here.

Cheers,
Merk
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2006 16:58
There is a great brawling game out right now, the Def Jam games, like Fight for New York. Has anyone played it? You can play as a rapper, or create your own character. You duke it out on the streets, and can pick up breakable weapons like bottles, bats, and pipes. I LOVE that game. I feel like I get hit when I get a pipe to the head.

I don't like games like Tekken at all. They're so fake it's just not even worth my time. It's like the forumula for a Disney Movie, except it's violent : take a band of unique characters, all fighting for some valid reason, all with a magical power. It sucks.

Come see the WIP!
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2006 17:15
I've played a couple of Def Jam games, but really didn't get into it, despite the fact that I'm an old school rap fan that surprised me - playing as Ice T should have sold the game to me.

I remember the UFC game, you could break arms and stuff, I had it on the Playstation - but it wasn't brutal enough. It was really a case of hitting until their power goes down enough to get them on the ground so you can hit them until you can make them submit.

Fighting games are about inflicting pain, that's it - all these news games do is regurgitate the same old rules, you have 4 inches of health left, and 31 seconds before the invisible referee stops the fight, ohh, and jump to avoid that fireball won't ya!.

I'd like to see a game where the moves, and the reactions were as real as possible, you should cringe when you see it.

Imagine your finishing move is sticking your thumb in the guys eye until he passes out with the pain - screaming and bucking his legs. Or what if you had ragdoll mode, where the guy is knocked out and you spend the rest of the round run-up kicking him in the face, brutal, tough to watch, but it's really the only corner left for beat-em-ups, everything else has been done death. You would probably need a Max Pain style storyline to warrant it, where your wife and young kid got killed by this gang, so the player would feel justified in their brutality, a max pain beat-em-up with a physics engine and ultraviolence vibe would be as awesome as the violence within.

I'd like to state that I've had no mental health difficulties thus far, I just like to vent, and I could REALLY vent in a game like that.

Aegrescit medendo
Jonny Ree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2006 18:08
Catalyst: There might not be any addition issues with the collision, I just pointed out the that there were some if that has to do with the animation then thats fine. Looking forwards to seeing how this develope. Keep updating

Catalyst
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2006 18:09 Edited at: 29th Jun 2006 18:11
@Pincho Paxton
2D on layered planes is exactly what I was planning for it...though possibly still with some 3D elements to it. For instance, if this was actually a level I'd use, maybe have them going over a bridge that was 3D, but all the trees would still be 2D.

@Van B
I'm definately not going to be making the basic jump and punch while playing a half naked girl that can somehow throw around a 15 foot tall armoured undead magical ninja who has returned from 50000 years of blah blah blah....it's going to be more based in reality I guess. It's going to go one of two ways really....either it will end up just being the people at my work in the game, or it will be random characters. Like a stewardess who throws coffee at you. Or a caber tosser. Not sure about the reactions being as detailed as you say, that would be very cool and is something to think about, but with the overwhelming lack of support I'm getting from my buddies who said they'd work on it, I don't know how much I'll be able to do. I've had 1 character partially modelled...actually that's part of the reason I'm thinking of just having it be people at my work, then I can start officially using our graphics guys for creating content.

At the same time, this is still basically an inspired by Street Fighter II: World Warriors game, so it's not going to be completely breaking all the rules.

I don't think the game I'm going for will really be something to vent with, though we'll see. It's an interesting balance to do something like that with cel shading, on one hand it will not be as graphic purely because they're cel shaded, on the other hand you could have it be even more brutal that would be possible in real life and it could still look right. We'll see...again, that sort of thing really depends on the amount of support I end up getting on this.

@Jonny Ree
Okay, thanks for the input. I'll be watching the collision issues with the attacks to make sure they're not in the final, I just wanted to make sure there weren't more that I didn't know about.
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2006 18:25
I've yet to play a game the emulates real fighting, as it's damn near impossible to do collision wise.

Tekkan never really felt like fighting either. It felt more like pressing a combination of buttons in the correct timing to make the other guy fall down. Still fun, but not realism.

Also funny how they threw in hot Martial Arts chicks in there to go up against huge, huge guys just for the sake of gender diversity. Not being sexist, but if you're gonna match up a short 90lb girl against a panda or a giant robot wrestler, then atleast make her wear something more then a bra.

Goodluck with the game. A real fighting game would be very hard to do as the animation list would be endless.

Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2006 18:31
Quote: "Imagine your finishing move is sticking your thumb in the guys eye until he passes out with the pain - screaming and bucking his legs. Or what if you had ragdoll mode, where the guy is knocked out and you spend the rest of the round run-up kicking him in the face, brutal, tough to watch"

Quote: "
I'm more interested in playing a game like that! - one where you can heel them in the groin, maybe add a 'knee-drop on neck move' as well!."

Quote: "
I wanna gouge eyes and break bones dang-sarnit!"

There's something wrong with you Van B.

Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2006 18:49
How has Super Smash Bros NOT been mentioned in this thread? NINJAS!

<OMG></OMG>
Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2006 18:58
Maybe because it's a sod excuse for a fighting game.

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2006 20:16
Who here has played madness interactive
Now that feels like fighting

But it's not that realistic though

There are three types of people, those that can count and those that can't.
Catalyst
Years of Service
User Offline
@NeX
Super Smash Bros is a fighting game for people that don't play fighting games. I love the game, I think it's great. It does a great job of being unconventional, easy to get into, and good for when you've got a bunch of people around that don't play games much. Not quite the style I'm going for on this....though I guess I'm probably aiming more towards that then, say, Tekken. Which I think is an absolute crap game. Really most fighting games I think are junk, so I guess I really don't have to do to well on my game to at least meet the standard. Really I'd like my game to play more like Street Fighter II: The World Warrior, but still have the easy to get into and fun feeling of Super Smash Bros.
Prince of Creation
Years of Service
User Offline
hahahha...i love that game. Nex that game cracks me up...

www.xanga.com/princeofcreation

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 14:30:53
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 14:30:53