Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Work In Progress / [LOCKED] DarkFaction

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2006 09:15 Edited at: 11th Aug 2006 21:17

Quote: "

In 1945, the Allied powers were poised to bring WWII to a quick end with a new weapon. This "A-Bomb" was to be detonated over the Japanese city of Hiroshima. The device was successfully deployed, yet it failed to detonate over its target.

The Axis powers had also been working on their own version of the Atomic Bomb. Once completed, the device was deployed and successfully detonated over the island of Manhattan, New York on 2 September 1945.

Nine days later, a second bomb - Codename "Nächtwächter", was detonated over Los Angeles, California.
In 1946, a rebelious group is formed in the German Republic of America. The group is called the DarkFaction."

DarkFaction has 40 levels, but also has a save system. You cannot save individual levels, but you can save your progress of the 10 missions using an interface created in VB6. The demo version starts with a VB6 program called the P.D.A. This PDA is your Personal Data Assistant with email, video and images of your upcoming missions. In the full version, you will start from the main menu before getting your mission briefs via the PDA.

Since each mission is in effect a separate FPScreator game, the Main Menu has code I developed to dynamically delete and replace the setup.ini and level.zip files for each "game". In doing this, the total file size went from 2.3GB to only 390MB and is quite efficient as the %root%Files directory is now shared among all the separate games [missions].

Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2006 09:48 Edited at: 4th Jul 2006 17:49
The screenies look very nice!

How the [mod edit] did you do those cut-scenes with FPSC stuff?

I'm very liking this game, i will play the demo soon
AE

DarkFact
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi, Thanks for the kind words.

I made most of the cut-scenes in 3ds Max. I used the actual game models for the decorations and made the buildings/doors, etc as my own models, then used the FPScreator textures so it would all match.

Cheers!

brummel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2006 10:41
Good job man! Really like those cutscenes too.

Dont forget to visit my website for scripts!
Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2006 11:36
Extremely nice, very professional presentation also.

SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2006 17:20 Edited at: 4th Jul 2006 17:27
This is what I like to see, hard work; good job. I will coment on the videos once I have watched them; so ill edit my post for that.

**EDIT**

I liked that a lot; well done.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2006 17:21
Very nice stuff; I'll keep an eye on this one too. We're starting to get some good games shown here.

-Keith

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 4th Jul 2006 17:44
Quote: "the German Republic of America"

Not cool.

The rest was well done, though. Nice presentation, game play and also a good work-around to the program limitations. Seemed a little dark for me. I know that seems to be the thing now, but it was much darker than your screens or video. At least on my system it was.

Anyway, very well done.

Crazy Grandpa
SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2006 18:00
xplosys, did you not know that there where towns/cities in ww2 America that had Germans, and America watched over them because they thought they were sending codes to Nazi subs. I watched it on the discovery channel.

Urm, maybe I just like telling people what I find out.

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2006 18:14
Max,
Nice screenies.

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 4th Jul 2006 18:14
Yeah, we did the same thing to the Japanese. In fact, we locked up a lot of them.

Crazy Grandpa
SarusX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2006 18:36
Very nice stuff. Your website is alos very impressive- quite easy to navigate, and very sleek. Good job! Looking forward to this.

Something witty and/or humorous.
DarkFact
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you all for your comments!

This project has been quite an undertaking since I had to learn VB in the process to get around the lack of save/load game features in FPScreator.

"German Republic of America" not cool....

Well, the base model pack that comes with FPScreator has Sci-Fi and WWII objects. So, I made the best of what was available to me. Besides that, I like the alternate reality. The sequal to DarkFaction delves deeper into the "wrong" version of history as Decker discovers some truths.

Thanks again for the support. The game should be ready for release by the end of July.

Stamina
Years of Service
User Offline
Very nice. I am not hip on the same ol' war type games. I think there are too many made, and too many people making them on here, BUT, I gotta say it's nice to see someone personalizing the game with some of the same ideas that I am implamenting.
jarhead
Years of Service
User Offline
nice game. loved everything about it. one of the best games made in fps creaator. I like the layout of ur site also. very easy to use.

my site:
http://www.xstreamstudios.com/jarheaddesigns
killer gamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Cool...could you please give us the code

Operation M.A.R.S. And no its not medical air rescue service
Nigezu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2006 00:30
Really impressive screenies. I haven't watched video or played demo yet but they must be really cool!

Intel P4 Processor 519 3.06 Ghz, 1536 MB DDR, Ati Radeon 9550 256MB
My site: http://www.freewebs.com/nigezu
DarkFact
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Tyler (blobzone)

I made the characters sit down and lift weights by importing the models into 3ds Max, re-boning them, then keyframing the animation and re-exporting using the Panda export for .x files.

Yes, I am going to release all of my custom files. Everyone who buys the game, gets all of my FPScreator-ready models PLUS over 500 of my models from Max-Realms in .3ds format for free. All of this is for around $30.

I may even release or sell the source code at a reasonable price for the main menu and PDA if anyone is interested.

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2006 08:22
That main menu and PDA i can make myself too

unless this works that it saves when a level is completed...

Many tales has bein told about me,and there where i came from.Most bad ones are true.The good ones are false...
brummel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2006 12:07
Selling a modified version of the FPSC sourcecode and selling it is illegal. You may only give it away for free.

Dont forget to visit my website for scripts!
Chris Franklin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2006 21:08
Quote: "Selling a modified version of the FPSC sourcecode and selling it is illegal. You may only give it away for free.
"

Just what i thought

Can you post the dba for it now please then i'll recomplie it and upload it here

Stunt man 2 http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=79827&b=8&p=0
WHITEKNUCKLE IS BACK! Check the wip boards for more info
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2006 21:22
Quote: "I may even release or sell the source code at a reasonable price for the main menu and PDA if anyone is interested."

Who said that was the FPSC source code?The way I read it is that is says the source code for the menu and the PDA.Neither one may have anything to do with FPSC or its source code.
Then again it might.Let's wait for Max to explain before we form a mob and light the torches...

jordmans
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2006 21:44
omg he got save and load?

AUP -Do not post anything considered "adult" material. Please choose a less violent signature. thanks
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2006 22:49
Not exactly.

DarkFact
Years of Service
User Offline
Sorry for the confusion guys. The source code I'm referring to is only for the Menu and PDA. Those programs were both made using Visual Basic, not Dark Basic.

I'm pretty new to programming, so I haven't gotten into Dark Basic yet....learning C++ at the moment.

Anyway, the code was written so that you can easily set up your game structure like that of DarkFaction and modify the Menu to meet your needs. Same thing with the PDA, except the background image would need to be replaced. I realize many of you are programmers that don't need such a thing, but there are a few of us that aren't real programmers and I thought I would offer either the code or custom pre-compiled versions for a reasonable fee.

Essal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2006 12:05
Its Like MCDonalds I'm Lovin' It!

He Who Visits The FPSC Forum, Returns 10 minuters later, to see whats new.
DarkFact
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2006 03:11 Edited at: 10th Jul 2006 03:13
I added a new video demo today. This video is 5 minutes in length and shows some of the action and custom entities made for the game.

http://www.darkfaction.net/modules/wmpdownloads/

DarkFact
Years of Service
User Offline
I still have to sort out the final version of the game. I also need another female voice. Do you have someone?

DarkFact
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks Tyler.

I sent the female script via regular email just now.

Connor Higgins
User Banned
Posted: 10th Jul 2006 20:40
amazing demo!!!! I really liked it:0

Spudling
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2006 18:01
Woooow Love it

Cant wait 2 play the demo if it aint out yet

Just love it

Will it be free?

Was Hi! but Hi! Was gettin a little iritating
=Johny English=
Years of Service
User Offline
how you make animations of characters (in 3d max?)
in half-life 2 is gravity gun you use also this thing
DarkFact
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "how you make animations of characters (in 3d max?)
in half-life 2 is gravity gun you use also this thing"

Firstly, you should download and import the FPScreator biped skeleton and default bip file from www.fpscreator.com.

You have to re-skin the character with the biped fig, then animate the biped skeleton with either keyframing or using motion capture bips. Then re-export the character as a .x file and set up the fpe to reflect the new animation frames.

I don't know what you're asking about the gravity gun. I didn't use one from HL2 if that's what you're asking. I tried to use mostly stock FPSC media in this game and only used custom items when the need arose.

Thanks for commenting.

DarkFact
Years of Service
User Offline
Here's a video cutscene from DarkFaction created in 3ds Max. The character on the left was keyframed, the animation for the character on the right was done using a motion capture file.

Download the Clip
http://www.darkfaction.net/demo/2cut.wmv

Bloodeath 6 6 6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2006 23:25
egh the explosion was a little weak

http://www.shockforums.tk
Nigezu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2006 23:35
Really nice video clip!

Intel P4 Processor 519 3.06 Ghz, 1536 MB DDR, Ati Radeon 9550 256MB
My site: http://www.freewebs.com/nigezu
DarkFact
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "egh the explosion was a little weak"

egh, the explosion was from in-game. Not in 3ds Max

George 7004
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2006 02:28
nice job love it

if you would make cutscenes for somebody how much would you charge?

http://www.mmorpg-net.org

Your Source for Awesome MMORPG/MMOFPS Games
DarkFact
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "if you would make cutscenes for somebody how much would you charge?"

Money isn't as much an issue as time. I will be glad to help if I can afford the time. Email me an outline or storyboard of what you want and I'll see what I can do. If it's easy enough and doesn't take long, then I may not charge anything as a tribute to this community.

Thanks for commenting.

George 7004
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2006 08:04
do you have MSN or anything so we can talk bout this?

DarkFact
Years of Service
User Offline
I have Windows Messenger, but usually little time to chat. Please email first if possible and we may be able to set up a time to chat this weekend.

tuf2hit25
Years of Service
User Offline
great job on the game and cutscenes, i really liked all the demo vids! so how did the whole motion capture thing work? you used 3ds max? do you just use a regular camcorder and whichever program you use it will try to adapt the model to the motion of the video? lol, kinda interested in knowing how that works

The two most engaging powers of a photographer are to make new things familiar and familiar things new.
George 7004
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2006 19:25
k

DarkFact
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "great job on the game and cutscenes, i really liked all the demo vids! so how did the whole motion capture thing work? you used 3ds max? do you just use a regular camcorder and whichever program you use it will try to adapt the model to the motion of the video? lol, kinda interested in knowing how that works "

Thanks for the comments.

I used "canned" mocap files for a lot of the motion capture. Canned files are simply pre-made files that are available for free from various sites on the internet and some come from the partners disk when you buy 3ds Max. I take the base animations I need and tweak them to make the motions.

Connor Higgins
User Banned
Posted: 27th Jul 2006 22:54
Tyler GS you dont need to bump a thread every dam day (sorry mods if dam is classed as a swear word)

if u had a soul you wold help me if im down but if you loved me you would kiss my bruises better, and if i love u... i would never let u go Emily h
da power pwnerer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2006 13:29
this game looks awesome! i would probably pay some money for this game. preferably... $10 LOL sweet lookin game!

DPP
DarkFact
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2006 07:53 Edited at: 12th Aug 2006 07:48
DarkFaction will go on sale 17 August, 2006.

C0r3y
Years of Service
User Offline
Dude just amazing dono what els to say im speachless
cheeseman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2006 11:13
dark faction? cant you think of something more original, i know my ideas arent original but, darkfaction, redfaction... ditch the name darkfaction.

oh and that scientist looks exactly like the one from goldeneye 64

i like redwall, videogames, and...CHEESE!!
DarkFact
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "dark faction? cant you think of something more original, i know my ideas arent original but, darkfaction, redfaction... ditch the name darkfaction."

Is there already a game called DarkFaction? No? I guess it's original then. I'll keep it. Thanks for the input.

Quote: "oh and that scientist looks exactly like the one from goldeneye 64"

That scientist is from the FPSC Model Pack #2.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 07:52:49
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 07:52:49