Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / how do I load a big .x map quickly

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2006 21:00
Hey,

I was just wondering if you guys could help me with loading a big map without it taking forever.

I have heard you can load up different bits of the map at different times but would't that just lag the game loads?

Thanks for any information.

Dream And Death
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2006 23:22
Er, that's how HalfLife 2 does it! Hadn't you noticed?

It's fairly acceptable to do it this way.

"You get what everyone gets, you get a lifetime!" - Death, The Sandman Library

First you Dream, then you ... - Neil Gaiman, 2001
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2006 02:06
There's no difference between loading 1 large object or loading several smaller objects to make up a large object in terms of pre-loading time. So to answer the question on speeding up loading time, the only thing you can do is reduce the amoutn of polygons the model contains, and the amount of additional information it has with it (texture size, opacity settings, etc.). Its like asking how to make a fat person run faster, either you get them in better shape (reduce the polies) or give their body more energy (increase the cpu power).

DBP tends to like having 1 large object as apposed to several smaller ones, however if you implement some culling functions when using several smaller models, the game will run much faster during runtime. By this I mean you can hide the sections of the map file that the user isnt looking at, you can also stop detecting collision with them, stop casting shadows on them, etc etc. The more you lessen the amount of tasks the computer has to perform on each object, the less the game will lag during runtime.

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2006 10:06 Edited at: 6th Jul 2006 10:07
He means load the map parts during the game, as the player walks around. I think that the game would pause too much, but I'm not sure. It needs testing.

David Blake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2006 00:33
Most games do this, and while the Loading screens in Half-Life and Quake 2 often annoy today's users, preloading according to map triggers should keep your level moving and trick the player into thinking that it is loading seamlessly. Soul Reaver is a good example of a large "free" world which is streamed in at different points.

Determining the correct point to stream in segments will depend on level design, asset size, the amount of calculations occurring at a single-moment (say a large battle sequence where a lot of RAM will be taken up trying to track everything going on and suddenly you get some lag due to streaming from the hard drive), and a lot of other factors.

I'm half as useful as a box of vomit.
Digital Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2006 22:28
kk thanks all will try and work on some code.

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2006 11:25
save as dbo

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-25 03:26:32
Your offset time is: 2024-09-25 03:26:32