Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Using DarkBasic Pro for MMORPG?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Can DarkBasic Pro be effectively used to create a MMORPG (like RuneScape or others) for use by multiple players over the internet?

If not, what language or system can make that easier and quicker than using something like Java?
Mr X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2006 12:44
I dont know if its impossible, but no one has done it yet.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2006 13:01
Welcome to the forums. It's accepted here that newcomers will ask how to make a MMORPG, or ask for a team to start such a project, so well done for being normal!

DB Pro, for the hobbyist coder, is as good an option as any. However, bear in mind that commercial MMORPGs are created by teams of 20 or 30 people over a period of 2 years or more. They also have ridiculous budgets. And that is why, as Mr X says, nobody has done it yet.

Don't be put off, great things are achieved with DB Pro. Just realign your goals!!!

Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2006 15:55
Actually, someone has (just to not put you off ).. SergeyK (or GogetaX) made BlueLight Online, and it worked fine.

RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2006 18:54
Not really... So far he's managed to connect a few people and chat. I wouldn't classify that as an MMO quite yet.

MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2006 06:35
There are quite a few mmorpg projects currently. I don't think any wide scale tests have been done yet though. I know a while ago CattleRustler, Mnemonix, and myself were involved in a project where we got 5 or 6 users in an environment. It's certainly possible to build the functionality. 1000s of users is going to take some clever coding, but 30 or 40 is definitly resonable. Check out the multisync(might be called or was called tempest.) in the program annoucements.

There's also the multiplayer plus commands that were released with the FPSC source(See the extras in the latest DBP patch 6.2b).

Java is definitly geared towards programming programs that talk to each other(multiplayer), for that's what our above project used.

Whatever tools you choose, you'll just have to learn it the best you can. For multiplayer, there is no easy or quick way to get a mmorpg done.

Hope that kind of helps.

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
(Formerly Yellow)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-25 03:31:56
Your offset time is: 2024-09-25 03:31:56