Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Project Desert Storm

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2006 17:22 Edited at: 30th Jul 2006 16:59
Hi everyone. I thought I'd post some info on a game myself and a friend are currently making. Inspired by the original megadrive game Desert Strike, Project Desert Storm is an action shooter viewed from a overhead isometric view. Here is a screenshot of how it is looking at the minute.

Edit- Put some of the images on the first post for easier viewing.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
And here is a video of it running I put together. I used a dll in DB Pro to capture the video as I played.

Attachments

Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2006 17:39 Edited at: 8th Jul 2006 17:39
Looks great.
But you should improve the shadow and maybe the textures. Also you should include animations for the destroyed enemies.
But all in all it seems to be good.
*waitingforademo*
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes, as I said it is still work in progress. The shadow will be changed when I change the helicopter as it is only a placeholder at present. Explosions will be worked on soon. I'm not sure which way I'm going with those, animated plains or actual objects.

I'm sure a demo will follow at some point. Not finished designing all the buildings etc yet though. Only about 2 weeks in.
TDP Enterprises
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2006 18:27
Wow, very awesome, keep up the great work, and yeah, add the explosions or death animations and itll look even better.

Snow Wars is making its return, check out the Game Design Theory board for more info...
UFO
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow! Looks great!

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2006 18:45
Chris Franklin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2006 19:20
How is everyone making these uber games recently?
Great work

Platformer Compo!
WHITEKNUCKLE IS BACK! Check the wip boards for more info
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2006 22:34
looks very good from the screenshot .

Pirates of Port Royale
Live the life of a pirate.
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the positive comments guys! Nothing new to report at the sec Playing with some explosion effects at the min.
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
@ Gil Galvanti. Try the video it gives you more idea of how it will play.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2006 00:07
Ahhh, I promised you a helicopter but could'nt find the thread .

Need to make some rockets for it as it's already rigged for gluing them in, so I'll see if I can get it ready tomorrow.

Aegrescit medendo
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks very good so far. Fallout is doing something like this as well.

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
@ Van B, I wondered where you had vanished I was beginning to think I was gonna have to model a new chopper for a while there. Although I do like to model I get so into getting the game up and running as fast as poss I do tend to rush the modeling sometimes. Especially the dreaded texture part! But in the main I have actually got the graphics pretty near to complete for a lot of the models

Pincho, I took a look at fallout's game. It's looking pretty nice. makes me think I have gone too low poly for some of my buildings. But until the game is complete and runs at a nice 60 fps at all times I'm not gonna change em. I had to redo the main map last night due to speed issues on a lower end computer. It ran fine on mine but slowed down on the lower machine to 50fps. Now it is back to 60, but I may have gone too small on the map. We will see with time.
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Just another pic of another area..

Attachments

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
And another. The explosion looks a little odd, still working on those.

Attachments

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2006 18:51 Edited at: 11th Jul 2006 18:52
Looks good. I think that some of the building textures need to be higher res. If they are 256, they need to be 512. If they are 512, they are a bit blurry, and need some sharpening. If you don't want to loose speed, then just make them 256 colours, but still increase the res.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2006 19:14
Having some issues with that heli model - for some reason when I export to .X it looses a lot of it's poly's so I reckon I need to use CFX to rig it, so it'll be another day.

Here's a piccy of her though just so you know I do have it for you!

Aegrescit medendo

Attachments

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks Van B. Looks nice. Can't wait to see her in my game No mega rush, but I'm itching to try to improve the shadow of the helicopter in the game and the main engine is almost complete. Did you get my mail by the way? I've mailed you twice over the last week but am not sure your getting them?

Pincho, yes most are 256, a couple are 512. I was doing it for memory and speed issues. Didn't think it would be noticeable from the distance in game. The buildings have ended up being bigger than I thought in the end though to get scale correct (or at least close anyway ). Memory is an issue though because at the second on a 256mb machine with a geforce fx 5200 it plays at 30 fps at best, sometimes as low as 10. Put it on the same system with 768 and it flies at 60 fps no probs. Not tried it on a 512mb unit yet, but I suspect it would be ok.

Oh by the way. Anyone have any ideas how I could get a swirling sand effect for under the chopper? I'd love to get that in but can't think of a good way to do it. Trying to model something like that would be beyond my skills. Drawing an effect like that would probably be rubbish, well if I did it anyway. I've tried particles but can never get them to do much more than a waterfall or firework type effect. I've though possibly lots of particles firing out from a central point but haven't tried because I think it would slow the system down badly.
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Oh btw lowering the colour depth does seem to do way less on DB pro speedwise than it does in DB. But I will try it out to see if they look sharper.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2006 21:24
Ahh, maybe flagged them as spam - hotmail does that to me quite often.

You should try out the new shadow system in DBPro, when you get the values right it does look pretty cool.

For the sand effect I'd just send particles up and out from the centre of the heli when it's close to the ground. Alpha transparency sand would have a good washout effect too, depends how you handle your particles though. I always have arrays with the location and movement speeds, with that it's fairly easy to do this effect. Should look real smooth if you fade the alpha too, kinda like dense smoke that fades out.

Aegrescit medendo
Chris Franklin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2006 21:28
Wow sorry to go off topic

Van can you e-mail me the exported one for a game i'm making by anychance?

On topic:
looks great

*wait's for demo*

Platformer Compo!
WHITEKNUCKLE IS BACK! Check the wip boards for more info
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2006 01:54 Edited at: 12th Jul 2006 01:59
Van, not sure how I would do that. You mean use a combination of particles and use some sort of filter on them? Don't really know much about alpha transparency effects. Not too good with particles yet either, just got the missile smoke to work quite nicely.

Oh and do you mean set shadow shading on? I played wth it briefly but couldn't get it to work.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2006 21:22
Finally, got it done, and I love it .

This worked out so cool, now it has 6 sidewinders and 2 mavericks, which fire when you press a number key, made a little demo showing the limb setup and stuff.

I plan to use this in a little multiplayer game, but will be redoing the texture, it's pretty lame.

Seeing as how a few people can use it, I think it'd be best if we all agreed to change the texture - when you see it you'll understand, there's a lot left to be done to it, it was never finished texturing. This way they'll look more unique, I haven't textured the missiles but they are assigned to a bitmap of their UV, and the UV map for the AH-64 is included too to make life easier for you.

Anyhoo, have fun .

Aegrescit medendo

Attachments

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2006 21:25
I'll see about extending the demo when I have some more time - like add a basic particle system to show what I mean by the fading alpha stuff, and how to get the shadow system working - I already have a makeshift flightsim project so I don't think it would take long.

Aegrescit medendo
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Cool thanks. I'll get looking at this chopper for now.
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Heres a pic of the new chopper. got some explosions in now too. Also got a new shadow for the chopper.

Attachments

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
And here is another, showing the ruins of a building that has been destroyed.

Attachments

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2006 03:36
That actually looks more authentic than I thought it would, just used to it's dull grey - nice work!.

Got a very basic heli sim put together, it's a shame I'm entering the retro comp, I'd rather rig up my flightstick and play with copters.

Aegrescit medendo
zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2006 11:59
It´s looking really good!
Maybe you should scale the explosions width a little and ghost it?

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks guys. The texture on the chopper turned out pretty good. I was surprised I got it changed as quick as I did. It looks pretty decent in my opinion, also helps with the new shadow I have done.

zzz, The explosions are still under development. They are turning out to be taking more time than anything else up to now. They actually look a lot better in motion than in a still. Tried ghosting them but I actually prefer the unghosted look personally.

I'm going to work on something different for the next few days. Explosions have drive me mad. I think it's time to put fuel, ammo etc in and get the gameplay tweaked a little.

I I can I will put a new video up quite soon.
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2006 14:54
That looks great, I know Van B has modelled you a copter, I posted a donated, untextured and unanimated Apache helicopter I modelled in 3D chat, perhaps that may be of use in your game, but it does need UVMapping, texturing and animation, so it might not be as useful as it could be

Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2006 15:12
Great, can't wait to play the game!

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks guys, I appreciate your comments. Mushashi, I'll always take a look at any model Don't know if we need another chopper but you never know! My UV mapping is pretty average but I can normally do most stuff eventually, just not fantastic lol.

The game is coming along nicely now. Got most of the main parts done, just doing finishing touches in the main now. Heres another couple of pics.

Attachments

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
I must sort out some web space to post these things so they are in the main thread...

Attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 14:26:31
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 14:26:31