Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Online Play and Menus!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2006 04:01
I cannot do menus no matter how many tutorials I take! I also can not figure out online play, please help!
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2006 06:36
What exactly don't you understand about them? What kind of menu? Online play is difficult and requires DLL's, i think, though I've never tried it, but don't even try to get into it at your level (no offense ).

Pirates of Port Royale
Live the life of a pirate.
Ginga
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2006 12:59
I found a nifty tutorial on here that takes you through 13 steps of making an RPG, one of the steps is a menu,

The 3 'if' statements at the top basically say the 'x' and 'y' co-ords and the 'text' to have. The function gets where the mouse is and where its clicked, and if clicked with the co-ords of a 'button' it returns a value of '1', which then takes you to anothe subroutine. hope it helped
Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2006 14:34
Every time I try a tutorial I look at it write it down, then type it replacing media with my own, then something doesn't work.
Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2006 15:28
Just Tried now it says "Program Ran Into Function Declaration"
I'm have trouble comprehending ,
Quote: "The 3 'if' statements at the top basically say the 'x' and 'y' co-ords and the 'text' to have. The function gets where the mouse is and where its clicked, and if clicked with the co-ords of a 'button' it returns a value of '1', which then takes you to anothe subroutine. "
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2006 18:54
Functions need to be defined at the bottom of your code after the program ends. The problem is you're looking into too advanced tutorials for your level of programming right now, you should probably be going back to the basics of if statements, function uses, and extremely basic games before you even concider venturing into online/menus.

Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2006 20:14
Please JSG, stop rushing, if you don't have the ability to make menus, or even understand functions, you are not ready to make any sort of online game. Just take it slow and easy, and learn as time goes by.

And btw, don't double post.

Oneka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jul 2006 22:06
Quote: " Online play is difficult and requires DLL's, i think, though I've never tried it "

Its not that hard if your just programming from the online functionality (not worry about winsock or w/e programming) Its fairly simple, what ever you do like moving for example you send a packet to start it to move on other comp then when it stops send a packet indicating it has stopped, its basically like thinking, in order for others to know you must tell them ( in order for a computer to do something right you must send the information )

Making better games everday!
Oh yeah and just so you know its Oh-nek-a not One-ka!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-25 03:25:30
Your offset time is: 2024-09-25 03:25:30