Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / Bikini Babe! DONE!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2006 03:52 Edited at: 25th Jul 2006 03:52
I think he has, but I, urm, burnt the mail, because, urm, I want to be the only modeller who gets a job .

I like your stuff Bond. I tend to get my models around 900 polys, mainly because I dont know enough about the human anatomy.

I got an email back from a company saying my models where very basic, even for low poly. Id like to slap that git, I get he doesnt even model him self, and hes just some eye candy guy who says some ones good and forwards their work to the main guy.

Rant over.
300 win mag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2006 03:56 Edited at: 25th Jul 2006 03:59
iv seen a have spider have woman thang in Doom3 and in Quake iv seen a messed up woman p.s. idsoftware did not make Quake4

Mr Love
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: MAFIA 2
Posted: 25th Jul 2006 07:14
Hmm... I wourld need a girl like that! Ehhh I mean in My game ofcourse...

I want to see a FPSC Professional! And lets make it REALLY expensive this time......
bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2006 07:51 Edited at: 25th Jul 2006 08:00
Quote: "I like your stuff Bond. I tend to get my models around 900 polys, mainly because I dont know enough about the human anatomy "

Hey that conforms to the PSP spec, there's still a need for super low-poly game models!

I think I'm in kinda the same situation as Jon. Right now, I'm really just trying to build a nice portfolio and soon a website to showcase my stuff. I've been modelling for several years now, but just recently game-oriented stuff ,and I'm at a point where I feel like I could tackle just about any modelling job with enough time.

Even though I have full time job I would love to do this kind of stuff professionally on a freelance basis. I read just about every game industry publication out there, and I keep hearing over and over that the biggest bottleneck for next-gen games is asset creation. In-house artists just can't keep up with the huge demand, so many companies are farming out the less important stuff to freelancers, and that is where I would like to fit in.

About ID Software, I just read a recent interview with John Carmack where he said his relatively small staff of artists are having a hard time cranking out the art assets for next-gen games, so they're looking to outsource some of the work. I'd love that as my first freelance gig!

PS: Jon you nailed it, this model was inspired by a screenshot I saw of GTA, even though I've never played the game!

----------------------------------------
"Your mom went to college."
My FPSC stuff at http://hyrumark.zftp.com/FPSC/hyrumarkfpsc.htm
jonathan samson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2006 14:12
nice work bond 1
keep it up

J.Samson
SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2006 14:21
ID always have very low poly models with great textures and shaders to make them look high poly. Ive been emailing every where I find jobs, so if I see some thing in ID, I will probably email them.

Ive always modelled with the aim to get a job working with games.
Jon Fletcher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2006 15:07
Quote: "In-house artists just can't keep up with the huge demand, so many companies are farming out the less important stuff to freelancers, and that is where I would like to fit in."

yes! thats what ivebeen trying to explain on another forum, that the artists job is only getting harder and harder, untill eventually, game assets will compare to reality, people say its getting easier to program games, but not for the artists, which is why im trying to learn at an early age and progress quickly to try and catch up! lol

but yeh, any modelling proposition for any commercial game i would be extremelly interested in, even small un-important models, even without pay, i'd do it for the shear experience and the chance to put a shipped title on my portfolio!

Quote: "Ive been emailing every where I find jobs, so if I see some thing in ID, I will probably email them.
"

i may have to try, when i get my website running again, i think the key is to create something that will interest that specific company ALOT, for instance if i was goping to apply with ID, i would attempt lots of dark creature models, and lots of 'mech' and grunge style textures, and show the wide use of normal maps.

then there are things like nintendo and well, ya know

bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2006 15:38 Edited at: 25th Jul 2006 15:43
Yeah and its a double edged sword: Not only do consumers expect higher quality art, but also a higher quantity of it. More realstic environments that have TONS of detail. A few years ago a game artist could model and rig a lowpoly character in a day or so.

Now you need high poly, normal/specular mapped, meticulously rigged characters with several LOD's. And don't forget about morph targets for facial animation...all that ain't gonna happen in a few days. The demand is huge...

I read an article in Gamasutra about the tight timeline for some PSP game, can't remember which, but the article stressed that they put pressure on their art team to finish one character per WEEK! So you see that even experienced, professional modellers can't crap this stuff out overnight...

Jon Fletcher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2006 16:12
indeed, the thing that has shocked me now is the new use of normal maps, the days of just creating a plain gray scale bump-map are long gone, now for each character, artists need to model an extremely detailed character just to make a normal map for a smaller one! the end results are nice, but what a waste of the artists time! going through all that effort, only to see a little bit of it, put on a low-res model, probably the only of which consumers will see. besides cinematics.

but at the end of the day, when the game is made, the only people who can be truly proud are the artists, after all, the gamer is viewing their work, its not like you can see the programmers code, at least this way, artists can look at the game and point out to a physical object and say "i made that"

Sunflash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2006 20:41
@Jon and Bond
Hey, where did you guys first learn how to model? I'm just getting into a community college and would like to take some classes, but wondered if there was a camp or something you guys could recommend.
Thanks,
-Sunflash

P.S. AMAZING work Bond! I keep checking the forums in the hope that you have finished he next character!

Jon Fletcher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2006 20:53
i learned from tutorials and such over the internet, with the occasional help of some books. overall im just getting to know the program more and more each day and practicing, i am also studying game design with the use of 3ds max in college later this year.

i cant really reccomend anything, bond might be able to fill you in more...

bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
The book I recommend over and over to everyone who wants to learn 3ds max is 3ds Max 6 Visual Quickstart Guide by Michele Matossian. It's cheap, about $20, and really gives a good foundation for max. It's for version 6 but don't be put off by that, the core principles still applies to version 8. Max is a HUGE program and can be intimidating, but when I decided I wanted to learn to model I worked through this book almost cover to cover over a couple weeks and it was definitely worth it.

Stay away from those "comprehensive" books like the 3ds Max Bible. It is a long winded re-hashing of max's help file without really any real-world explanation.

Jon Fletcher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2006 23:57
the great thing about books is that they describe the concept of the program in its simplest form before interaction without the user rushing in and getting frustrated, and as much as i would advise practice, best learn the 'lingo' of 3d software, so you know what you plan to do, and what tools you plan to use, i think bond will agree with me saying that 3ds max is a very deep program with many features which you may never even have to use, but when you know what does what, and the basis of how different parts work and how it will affect your scene, you can build your own workflow and progress with practice.

its a bit like a beginner, whos first model is a bunch of unedited cylinders put together, not even welded, in the shape of a gun, and they dont know what a polygon or a vertice is. know the tools, do the job

Sunflash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2006 00:09
Thanks guys, that helps. I was hoping someone would recommend a book, thats how Ilearn best I will definentely look into it

CLiPs
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2006 00:32
Bond excellent work.. Sure no matter what model you put up people will find a glitch here and there.... But for the models that are out there your showing a quality thats surpasing others... So keep up the good work... And any chance in purchasing the pack early... I am certianly interested

Have you downloaded your CLiPs today.
bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks CLiPs, that's very flattering. I'm in the painstaking process of rigging the characters now, and there are a few more characters I still need to make. There's going to be a preview of the pack in the upcoming TGC newsletter, and it will be ready for sale sometime in August.

Sunflash, I see you can get the Visual Quickstart book from Amazon for about $15, even cheaper used. If you decide to go with max as your software, get this book. It will be the best money you can spend for learning the ropes for max. I still glance at it from time to time to refresh myself on basic time-saving stuff I may have forgotten about.

Sunflash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2006 11:10
Yeah, If I get serious about modeling in college (which I hope to) then I will definentily use Max. If I didn't it would be like a graphic artist that uses Photo Impressions (in my oppinion).

SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2006 14:17
Sunflash, have you had any modelling experience before? Because going to college isnt so great. I did it, and all I came out with was new friends. The teachers that where teaching max, where learning it along with us, how sad is that?

It would be better doing what I and jon have done, read tutorials and just mess around. I dont think I had any tutorial help when I started, I just did it. But you need the help when it comes to characters and detailed objects.
Jon Fletcher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2006 15:11
i studying max in game design in september, i sure hope the tutors dont learn along with us, we went in for an elrolment and information session a while back, and got to play with max for a while (quite sad) there were alot of newcomers never having used max, let along ANY modelling or graphics tool, they were most likely the type who buy a computer and use it for msn messenger.

so i can expect to start from step 1, again, besides these people, some were experienced, and the tutor had done commercial work before, so i'm going to be extremelly interested to get to know these people.

an educated mind is a good worker, because they can think better and solve problems, i for one would advise further education, along with informal practice

SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2006 15:15
Jon, could you let me know where this college is for level design?
JohannesM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2006 19:31
give her sandales

Mr Love
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: MAFIA 2
Posted: 27th Jul 2006 06:25
She wourld be perfect as a secret super agent! Even cooler than Lara Croft in Tomb Raider!!!
(Who wourldnt tell Her everything?)

I want to see a FPSC Professional! And lets make it REALLY expensive this time......

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 00:26:41
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 00:26:41