Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Microsoft C++ ... general questions

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2002 00:54
Before everyone moans about writing about C++ here,
this is more of a ... does anyone know how topic

I know that the way to upgrade the graphics of the icons used are the resources, however the tool bars and such - now I'm running 6.0 sp5 + processor pack. The power here is more than ample for my current gameSpace development however i'm wondering a few things.

Firstly the styles - now when i make a project wizzard it allows me to use either Windows or Explorer style, however XP has its own style as well ... is there a DLL and resource file for these?
Also how would i go about deveopling my own style set - as it'd be nice to give gameSpace the Pixudio look created by Rich.

Oh and finally for general development DirectX 9.0 is being released
SDK due in 2 weeks time
Holy jumping mother of god NOOOO!!!...
Ahem I mean, I'll think about it
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2002 06:54
Should i take it that no one knows

Holy jumping mother of god NOOOO!!!...
MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2002 12:35
No, afraid not- good to here about the DX9 SDK though...

Yes, I really am THAT good...
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2002 20:58
Oki alot more questions... however mostly about graphical interfaces.

Now i'm actually guessing that most of this will simply be a "buy .Net" however as XP was developed within 6.0 there must be a way to develop UI stuff using that!
I'm not wanting major thing, i just want to have my program to utilise XP's buildin buttons which are standard styles - so it will also use the same standard style in 9x/Me

There must be a little code you place in the button or something like MBOK but just want someone to explain what it is ... or howto achieve this. Don't like asking in the C++ forums, most people just expect you to know the program inside out and oftenly don't help very much.

thanks

Anata aru kowagaru no watashi!
MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2002 16:21
Yes, VC6 works okay on XP. The only real problem with it is that quite often you get an error message saying the file couldn't be saved. Re-try and it's okay...

To put code into a button (once you've designed one), is just double-click on it - the editor will put in the headers and things, ready for you to type in the code.

Its really nice and simple... (although VC .NET is a lot hard to use as everything's been either renamed or moved about).

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2002 19:28
do you even understand what i have asked?

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2002 18:59
Well, it sounded like you wanted to know how to stick code into buttons...

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2002 19:37
no... reread the question...

I want to know howto change the LOOK of the buttons to use standard Microsoft for whatever the OS. Right now they use standard Win9x style even whilst every other aspect seems to use the new style. The loading bars as well, those are the really boring standard and i'd like to have the program use the new ones if available

do you understand now?
also i wanna know about these Office Menu looks - i mean XP does this automatically for me if i use Window Explorer Style. But i take it there is some plugin for C++ and VB for this no?
I can't stand those very very annoying MSDN automatic menus i can't even find the damn'd forums, also most C++ forums appear to only be games orientated

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2002 12:07
Ah - in that case I can't help... again...

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2002 15:49
lol - Oki well got a new question now...
ComboMenus (dropdowns like the Address bar above), for some reason when i create them in menus they retain the height of the menu
So unless i make the menu Super deep they don't have enough room... there must be a way around this
I want a normal toolbar, and for the dropdown to extend past it

Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2002 11:20
Vegeta, I have a some tuts about Visual C++ for beginners and advanced users. I am always to lazy to read them, but maybe could be some help for u I'm pretty sure u can find answers in there...
I also know u hate ICQ So if u r entrested u can MSN me

RogueX2000@hotmail.com

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
-Rogue
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2002 16:11
lol... badggered one of the guys at work before i left last nite found out about the tool bar stuff
hopefully i still remember all the steps to be able to make sense of it all.

however you know me a new day a new "how the heck do i do "
todays problem is, i can't seem to get internal linking to work from text boxes (static, edit, rolling). I'm going to guess this portion has something to do with HTML stuff, (god i wish there was a bloody list of terms but the C++ manual is just insane in size can't find anything!)
but i'm guessing it isn't Navigate(Url);

ChipOne
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2002 21:22
on the issue of appearance:
1) if you want to create your own style, you have to write your own controls as well as classes to handle window paint events (for things like the _[]X buttons).

2) if you just want it to match the current o/s, just compile it and run it on whatever o/s you like. i develop on 2000 at work and xp at home and have no interface appearance problems from machine to machine (i.e. compiled on XP looks like 2000 when running on 2000 and compiled on 2000 looks like XP when running on XP.)

3) if you're wanting to make any app look like the standard windows XP interface, regardless of OS, see answer number 1.

btw...MSDN is your friend. i learned this the long, painful way. i would venture to say that learning how to efficiently use MSDN is just as important as understanding MFC. once you figure out where the main (important) parts of MSDN are stuffed into, and how to generate effective results from the searches, you're flying.

-= i only do what my rice krispies tell me to do =-
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2002 04:48
lol... would help if i had MSDN, but as most know i have a second hand copy and the MSDN CDs are knackered

i search the site version, but it takes years and you have to sift through about 6million articles before you reach actual helpful things.

now funny thing is i'm compiling in XP and yeah i'm looking for the standard button sets, but XP has that colourful style which is actually based on the Shell.DLL - and for some reason the standard buttons have very limited options to the styles you choose like the menu systems.

Comboboxes appear like Win9x instead of XP, as do command buttons EVEN when i turn them to OS Dependant
i'm really begining to loose patience with the whole thing, i mean i don't want to make my own classes for the buttons as i'm likely to end up with the same problem as darkedit has (which i've found if you change to Win9x Style then back to WinXP it solves it for the currently open windows of DE)

if you understand how to do this then please explain to me plainly and simply what options i need to setup and what code if any extra i need also?

empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2002 01:08
So in other words you want to use themed controls in XP?

You need to set each control with a FlatStyle property to FlatStyle.System and create a manifest file to bind your app to comctl6.
Just copy it to the location of the .exe and rename it to <app name>.exe.manifest.

Example Manifest File
< pre xml:space="preserve">
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0">
<assemblyIdentity version="1.0.0.0" processorArchitecture="X86" name="CompanyName.ProductName.Project1" type="win32">
<description> An XP test</description>
<dependency>
<dependentAssembly>
<assemblyIdentity
type="win32"
name="Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls"
version="6.0.0.0"
processorArchitecture="X86"
publicKeyToken="6595b64144ccf1df"
language="*">
</pre>

Ogres have layers.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2002 03:18
hmm... i'm not sure i follow, other than i put the style flat - then in the code for the button do i put FlatStyle.System?

Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2002 04:49
oh i know... i know... im just way too lazzy to read all that... plus my zaurus arrived -_- oh yes it kicks ass...

AMD Athlon XP 2100+ OC to 3Ghz/1.5gigs ram/128mb ti4200/120gigs hd/19" monitor/Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum EX/2.5mbs Sat Con... I joined in!
Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2002 10:09
I seem to think that this is much easier in VB (i.e. you can add one reference libary and the theme thing works, i think.... (it could be delphi???))

The Outside is a evil place to be, too much light, too much noise and too many distractions....
I went outside once and my FPS rate dropped to 5.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2002 11:06
well once i understand about adding the classes for doing this i can actual dev my own theme which would mean i could add a universal theme regardless of OS, but have it all sized and placed right
What is so infuriating is i can't seem to achieve it... ho hum

Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2002 15:36
Might want to try asking on some C++ forums.

www.pcplus.co.uk have some (i think)

The Outside is a evil place to be, too much light, too much noise and too many distractions....
I went outside once and my FPS rate dropped to 5.
empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2002 17:11
You might want to take a look here:
http://www.codejock.com/support/KB/002003.htm

"well once i understand about adding the classes for doing this i can actual dev my own theme which would mean i could add a universal theme regardless of OS, but have it all sized and placed right"

The WinXP themes are applied by Windows with its new comctl version 6. That means if your app runs under WinXP, you'll get XP-style controls, if your app runs under 9x or 2k you'll get standard controls.
If you want to create OS-independent, skinnable (themed) controls, you need to derive new classes.

Ogres have layers.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2002 17:20
yeah i know... but the origin classes for the actual button functions require to know where its getting the new graphics from - not actually been able to find anywhere that allows me to
quite annoying that probably what should be the most simplest of tasks has been harder for me to figure than bloody Subtraction addition Booleans

oh well, thing is i'm still not sure howto set up even standard windows controlled graphics, as even the drop menus remain standard MFC :S its very very odd

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 10:19:23
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 10:19:23