Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / Free Wooden Bridge

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2006 05:50 Edited at: 15th Jul 2006 05:51
ok,,here is 1 bridge that is finished. It's an old wooden bridge, similiar to the ones in HL2. I have been running into issues with players getting stuck in places in the other bridges, so I am going to work on that problem before I give out anymore.

This one is tested and works correctly. The texturing on the posts isnt what I would prefer for a final model, but it's the best I could do for right now as texturing isnt my strong suit, well, either is modeling but I am starting to give it a shot.

The other bridges will/if ever, be released when I figure out the collision issues going on with them.

To use this, simply extract the entire folder to your entitybank/user folder. The bridge itself is 1/2 of a wooden bridge, so it can be used with 1 piece for a partial bridge or a dock, or use 2 of them and rotate 1 as needed to make a complete walk over wooden bridge.

The pic I posted is showing 2 entities making a complete bridge.
The texture in the pic is not the updated one either.

If you want to make the bridge larger in scale, open the fpe file supplied with in the folder and change the scale properties. ( associate the fpe file with notepad for those who dont already know)

Here is the link for the wooden bridge

http://www.enrouteservice.com/download/wooden%20bridge.zip

Thanks for your patience and I hope to get the other bridge finished as soon as the issue is taken care of.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Stamina
Years of Service
User Offline
The pic

Attachments

Stamina
Years of Service
User Offline
Here is a remake of the wooden bridge. I will upload it tomorrow night once everything is tweaked correctly.

New in this bridge is each plank is individual instead of a single mapped plane.

Attachments

Zaibatsu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2006 22:50
thank you, but i have a question.

what good do the posts do, if they don't touch the bridge?

Read my profile to learn about all my wierd fanaticacies...

Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2006 22:51
It's a decent job. I'd use box mapping on the post instead of a planar. Planer was fine for the walk way as you don't really see the sides and there thin any ways, but it really shows up on the post.

Nice contribution.
Stamina
Years of Service
User Offline
I'll try it out now
Stamina
Years of Service
User Offline
Locrian,,right now I am using 2 textures on a single map, so both textures are on the same file for the posts and planks. If I use the cube mapping option instead of planar, it maps the 2 different textures on the plank.

So your idea would work if it was a single texture.

My question is, if I make 2 seperate textures, use 1 for the posts, and 1 for the planks and cube map them, Delete the texture path in the fpe file, will fpsc see the individual textures for each item?

EDIT*********

No because I just tried it. I set the item to static and dynamic both, textures are in the folder with the .x files, shows the texture when I place the entity in the game, but when running a test game, it's pure white. Setting the entity to dynamic sets the item under the floor, no matter how many time I hit+ to raise it up another level.

Either way the entity is still white, so I am going to have to leave it as it is until someone finds a way around this problem.

Appreciate the input though, always welcome.
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2006 23:32
I didn't get half of that. Stamina, what format do you work in....If it's in some format I have I'll show ya what I mean....and those simple items shouldnt take more then 1 map anyways.

If ya can post your textures and mesh files. I can do 3ds/obj. I could convert from x if I had to but id prefer not having to do those steps if I could.
Stamina
Years of Service
User Offline
OK..I am going to e-mail you the texture file I used, and the ms3d.

I am using milkshape to model in.
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2006 23:49
Send me the .x file and ill convert it...I cant do milkshape.
Stamina
Years of Service
User Offline
.x file and texture on their way
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2006 02:09
Stamina, this is what I meant. When I got that x file the map to me looked like a mess. what I did was select the faces of each cross beam and each upright then applied a box map to each individually. I then stacked each on top of another so the end result looks like I've only got the one upright and the one cross beam. I also did the walk way as all one piece then just put the edges next to the top/bottom of the planks as you'll see below. I took off for a bit but I started this at 6:19 and was done by 6:33. It took longer to upload your images and write this out. Take a look at Bond1's UVMaping tutorial and that will give you a great start even if its not for milk shape.

Stamina
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice,,I wasnt doing it that way, but I will from now on .Thanks for your info on texturing. I was just placing everything as I was building and mapped from there after it was built...lol.

You da man.
Stamina
Years of Service
User Offline
What program are you using for this demonstration?
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2006 18:35
3d max 8 with service pack 3(autodesks current update).
Stamina
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2006 06:04 Edited at: 17th Jul 2006 06:08
ya know,,you guys on here are awesome,,I have had 67 downloads of this bridge,,that may I repeat as being FERE, and not 1 single comment or suggestion other than locrian on the texturing.

everyone always complains about people not wanting to give stuff away for free,,this is probobly why.

No Prob. I'll curb my freebies and keep what I make for myself and my own thing.

I'll admit, it wasnt the greatest texture job,,but I have definatly seen worse,,with better comments.
Locrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2006 06:33 Edited at: 17th Jul 2006 06:36
Stamina,
It's easier to ask for things then say thank-you. In the thread where you commented on my Mech theres like 8-9 post...so it happens no matter what ya give away and no matter who ya are...the nature of the beast man.

Hope ya remember I said in my first post it was a decent bridge...and I know what I said to you, you took as constructive criticism.

My real reason for commenting in here is this
Quote: "I have had 67 downloads of this bridge"

Um.....not to sound noob but how do you know this number( guess this shows my lack of giving things away myself)

PS: nevermind probly from that web site....I re-read your first post. I thought it was a TGC d/l cause only version I got was from you.....my bad...nevermind
Stamina
Years of Service
User Offline
I have my own host,,so I can track downloads based on entry points from websites. And I appreciated your comments,,they were helping me.

My issue is, everyone on here is always asking ANYONE who is making something,,"Are you gonna give it for free", and unless it's a free character or weapon, because as everyone knows,,thats the only thing that makes a game is the characters and weapons, then they take it like greedy lil you know whats and don't even have the decent common courtasy to appreciate someones time and effort to contribute.

Not whining, not asking for anything, but when ya give effort, and people take it, at least acknowledge the instance. Those are the type of people I will spend my time doing stuff for.
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2006 07:06
I know how you feel, Stamina. I've had hundreds of downloads of my models and media, with only a few comments (depending on the model) here and there. As Locrain said, it's the way things work around here. The same thing happens at the Torque forums; lots of downloads, and a handful of praise/critique. I'm fine with it though; I treat it as practice anyways.

-Keith

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 22:26:24
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 22:26:24