Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / real-time rendered cutscenes

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
how are these real-time cutscenes produced ? ex. Metal Gear Solid

is it possible to plot smooth camera paths to be followed and rendered in Dark basic ?
Dream And Death
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2006 10:52
Best to do them in something like 3DS Max or Maya and record them as an .avi and simply play them in your game engine.

"You get what everyone gets, you get a lifetime!" - Death, The Sandman Library

First you Dream, then you ... - Neil Gaiman, 2001
I wanna be a guru
Years of Service
User Offline
so it can't be done ?

would it be possible to create a object following a path in 3dmax studio, and set the camera to this object in DB ?
Jrock
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2006 18:29
Hmm. You could make it so that when a player touches a cube or what not, it "zooms out" and then follows the object. Then you could play various animations of the object.

Is that what you mean? (Sorry, I havn't played Metal Gear Solid.)

erm

I wanna be a guru
Years of Service
User Offline
here this is what i meant. this is all real-time rendered in original playstation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgWu5HP0JRg&search=metal%20gear%20solid%20psx
The ARRAYinator
Years of Service
User Offline
yes its definately possible. ive heard of a few people on these forums doing it. ive been experimenting with a similar system a few months ago. In which I made a waypoint editor for the camera and objects. Then I had it export to a readable scriptfile for my engine(with the waypoint data). I had it set up so it was timer based and I did the animation simply by trial and error in the script. I stopped working on it though because of my current game but it may be of some use later on.Although it didnt really work to well(when it worked at all) as there was much left to do other then just moving the camera and the objects.Plus setting up the animations was a pain. what I really needed was some kind of state/event triggering system but anyways.But the answer to your question is can it be done? Yes. Will it be quick and easy? no.
Cerafem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2006 06:04
stuff i've done (before switching to db) would include an invisible object the camera would follow during the cutscene.

---

-Agent Toaster Productions

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-25 05:22:16
Your offset time is: 2024-09-25 05:22:16