Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Work In Progress / [LOCKED] Cold Blood

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2006 00:14
What makes FPS to drop isn't your prosessors Gh's it your display card. I have 2Gh AMD Sempron that would run most of my games just nicely but my SiS M760 128Mb video card just s**k. My bro has 1.4Ghz shiddy prosessor but like 512 memory on it. And thats the only why he can run games that need even 2Ghz machines. And don't forget your RAM. I have 2x 256Mb and it is enough for most of the games, but my bro instead bought 256 more when he already had like 1Gb of RAM and his rig ROCKS. But don't buy SiS most of games won't support it and it is hard to do anything whit it (mayby it's just because I'm not chines or japaneas but still). Peace out!

Toni "Lycrius" Merivuori
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2006 03:33 Edited at: 30th Jul 2006 03:35
Well, yes... That sort of makes sense. But let me explain why that is. Basically, if your memory is low say 512 MB for instance.. You are far more likely to encounter paging slowdown. If the system runs out of memory your pc will engage virtual memory. This is extremely slow compared to direct ram access. For instance, that 1024x1024 texture that would normally run really fast will suddenly chug like your pc has caught a serious disease. This is because instead of writing to your ram, it writes to the hard drive.

Memory is so much faster than your hard drive it is hard to really explain. For instance if you load up an object off the hard drive and compare that to when you load it from memory, say a memblock for arguments sake, you will obviously see a major difference in speed. When you call an object up in DB you are basically loading it from memory. It is instant, when compared to loading from hard disk. I am not explaining this very well, but I am sure you get the idea.

Of course the video card is vital too, in fact almost more so. BUT, if you have low memory it will always restrict your video card. It is no good having a Geforce 7950 512MB that has cost you a small fortune, if you have 256MB of ram. It is a balance. I have 1.5 gig of ram which is more than needed most of the time. This allows my 7800GT to run at pretty much full whack (my processor will still be holding it back I would think), so I have no problems running any game. If I took out 1 gig of that memory my system would be crippled in comparison, because windows would have to page memory to the hard drive instead of straight from memory. So even thought my video card is very fast, without a reasonable amount of memory to be had, it is a waste of time.

Heh, that was a long rant. I'm sure that covers it, sort of. Anyway low memory is bad. High is good. But without decent hardware to support it, there is a limit to what more memory will do for you.

Hope that helps explain things..
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2006 04:52
OJA,

If the textures you use in the making of your levels shown here are indeed ripped from a commercial product I would suggest that you remove any reference to them from this thread and ensure that you do not provide any download of any levels containing them available to users here.

I would do so immediately before further action is taken by a Mod which it seems to me is ineviatable.

Any such threads that in any way may involve TGC by association and bring TGC into possible disrepute are not allowed.

I am amazed that this thread has survived for so long. I doubt it will for much longer.

"I am and forever will be your friend"
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2006 04:53 Edited at: 30th Jul 2006 05:09
All offending posts have been removed.

Please do not repost any of this with such ripped content as appeared here.

Anyone following such a precedent in future will not get off so lightly and this poster has been very lucky so far.

Necessary immediate action has been taken though this does not rule out further action being taken in this case.

"I am and forever will be your friend"

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 14:33:56
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 14:33:56