Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / About Dark Basic Pro

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I wish to know when will these ever be implemented into the so called Dark Basic "pro":

- Local / Global variabl concepts
- Linked lists
- Case statements
- data structures

As I see it's, Quick Basic 4.5 is light years ahead of Dark Basic Pro, which actually is a very sucky language.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2003 20:40
DarkBasic Professional has

Local / Global ... they're pretty useful
- Linked Lists is something that really goes against being a 'Basic' language
it has Select->Case statements

and has Types/Data Structures

so explain to me firstly why you wrote this post about features pro already has, and why it is in the 2D Forum?

Tsu'va Oni Ni Jyuuko Fiori Sei Tau!
One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2003 20:43
It's called 'flamebait'. Just someone trying to get a rise out of us.
TrenteTrois
Years of Service
User Offline
OK sorry, maybe I didn't check out the PRO version out enough, and maybe it'(s flame bait but wasn't intentionnal. And yes, I was in the wrong forum.

I'm looking out on choosing a Basic language that does 3D and has advanced programming. :/

Yeah, I'll definately chekc some more DB Pro as I just found out yesterday that Blitz3D sucks.

TrenteTrois
Years of Service
User Offline
I got BlitzBasic 3D demo several days ago. What I did is I wanted to test it out. I foudn it was really great. It's a really good language and most Blitz3D's structure works very well. But then I stumbled on some obviously "missing" instructions/functionality. For example, I wanted to detatch a texture from a cube's surface and couldn't do so without having to delete the whole cube. This created a new problem, is that the collision leaked my player out through the wall as soon as I changed the texture of that cube, meaning that the brief moment the cube was deleted and then readded, both action being done before update / render world. I tought this situation really sucked. Also, Blitz3D costs 99$ USD without a manual, a CD, a paper registration of any kind, etc etc... So I got pissed. I tought this was a joke. Also, when you compile your Blitz program, you get this huge 1.2 meg thing that get's attached to your source, meaning that a hello world program will take in BB3D at least 1.2 meg!!! Now they announced that Blitz Max will be a modular kind of compiler and will kind of compile in a more "size" consious way, attaching only what the program needs. But still, this is just one more drawback, and a "have to wait some more..." kind of mentality, which I very much hate.

But before all this happened, I was checking out Dark Basic, right in here, the week before I went through this Blitz3D experience. And now I'm back here still wondering if DB Pro has all the high level bells and whistles of Blitz3D and in some way at a more stable and complete manner?

I would like to see a Dark Basic Pro advanced coding source and check it out for myself, see if I can understand the way it works and see if it's complete enough for me.

That's it.

The Wendigo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2003 22:11
Well, if you want a language that "has it all" and is as simple to use as CreateObject to make an object, you never will find one. I own Jamagic, Dark Basic, and Dark Basic Pro. I first started with Jamagic and was loyal to it for a long while (my name is even in the credits ), but its functionality was limited. Expecting updates and being loyal to the Click Team, I was hugely dissapointed. Jamagic was "As Is" now with no more dramatic updates. In came Dark Basic Pro. DBP gave functionality I only dreamed a 3D language would give, such as Matrix Landscapes, LOD Terrain (still being worked on), and a biggy to me, BSP levels! After working with the language, I'll admit that there are a lot of things I do not like about it, one being the language structure (I still find it wierd how a function can be two seperate words), and another being that there still are a lot of bugs, including with UDTs. They work, but you can't pass them in a function (yet). But two things about the language have kept me much more loyal to it than any other 3D language: Its awesome built in features which are very much functional, and the fact that the programmers of it are determined to make it as perfect as possable, no matter what. Even after it shipped there have been some major revisions to the IDE and the compiler that have been more than helpful! Bug corrections are still in their minds and in my opinion, DBP teamed with its Patch 4 is a devistating language to all other 3D languages. You can even write your own DLL functions through C++, and with the latest IDE, add help files to them that get integrated into Dark Basic's help system! All in all, it's the best 3D language I have found yet, and I have looked at Blitz.

(Gee, my essay skills just payed off)

1.00 GHZ processor, 256 MB RAM, GeForce 3 64MB, SB Live!, 8 cans of soda per day
The Wendigo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2003 22:12
Oh yeah, Raven. I can't believe I'm actually correcting you (that's probably why I'm writing this ) but the latest BASIC (VB .NET) DOES have link lists. I just can't remember how they work. Took a couple classes in it though!

1.00 GHZ processor, 256 MB RAM, GeForce 3 64MB, SB Live!, 8 cans of soda per day
TrenteTrois
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah, I've read a lot of articles on DBP now. It seems pretty powerful, specially considering the Patch 4 which apparently gives it some needed performance boost. Then again, when I look at the DBP demos (I guess they're part of the PR campain of DBP), they are all HUGE EXE files. I mean, we're talking about 3,5 meg EXEs + external media files, something that looks like it could well be a 4 to 8 K C++ EXE... Does this mean that DBP isn't compiling? Is it just attaching the source to a runtime?

Anyway, it does look powerful. I'll have to check how much UPX could cut out of this huge (I mean monstrously large) chunk of unused code.

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2003 23:44
The executables are large because we're still on the debug libraries...

Good news everyone! I really am THAT good...
http://www.nickk.nildram.co.uk/ for great plug-ins - oh my, yes!
funboy
Years of Service
User Offline
Ive tried UPX, but it can't compress DB exes for some reason. They must use an obscure format . If you zip the exes they end up about half their original size, but that's still over a meg for the most basic program, which is unacceptable for a compiler that is really just a simple wrapper for D3DX .
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2003 02:32
DB Hello World programs take up around that too, but they zip to 600kb, so its not toooo (and I mean toooo) bad. My retro entry was 2000 lines long and it was only 1.33 mb zipped, including the media, which is OK.

Why the hell'd you ask me for crying out loud!?!

Athelon XP 1400 Plus - Nvidia Geforce MX400 - 256mb RAM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 06:25:57
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 06:25:57