Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / Request: Head modelling tutorial video

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2006 23:39
I am getting really fed up with trying to model a head and having it look really bad. Could some one like Bond make a video on how to model a head, because if I dont find a way to do it, ill end up smashing my computer.

Jon Fletcher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2006 06:27
here, i just made one, this is just the first stage, the basic shape, mapping using front and side reference and using a method where you start with a plane and drag out edges...

i compressed it ALOT down to 12mb, from a 300mb avi, there is alot of quality loss, but there are no fine tweakings in this tut anyway, and it is best to just watch it and study the style...its fairly obvious what im doing

i'll have to finish the next stage later, hope this helps

btw, no sound, sorry

Attachments

Login to view attachments
SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2006 09:20
Jon, would you be able to give me those reference images for modelling the head, I have none at all, it would help me a lot if you could.

Jon Fletcher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2006 18:01 Edited at: 19th Jul 2006 18:02
sure thing, try the human page on this site:

http://www.the-blueprints.com

there are some pretty basic and cool ones there, there arent many websites, even with this amount for free, i need to sign up to 3d.sk one day, lol

EDIT:

quick link:

http://www.the-blueprints.com/modules/bpview/bpview.php?nr=3357

SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2006 18:13
Thanks for the link Jon, ill be trying this out when it gets cooler.

Your signature has been erased by a mod
crow34
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2006 19:33 Edited at: 19th Jul 2006 19:48
thankyou jon you have just solved one of the major problems i have been suffering from for so long i bow down to you mastery of the 3d arts lol

am talking about the site by the way been looking for one of these for ages

you could always make us bow down to you even more by doing a photoshop texturing tutorial say for a gun eg the ak47 you just did

http://lovetrail.virtualdatingagency.com/index.php
Jon Fletcher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2006 21:36 Edited at: 19th Jul 2006 23:22
hmm, yeh a texturing tutorial could be pretty cool, could also show how to make some nifty base textures with filters

gotta finish off this head tutorial, i'll do a bit now

EDIT:

i have finished the second stage, well atually, haf of it, so its just modelling the nose, but i have to keep the videos short for download time, im uploading it now

(using filefront, i didnt compress it loads this time, is a 38mb file)

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it's larger than 600x120...
Jon Fletcher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2006 00:07
ok, second part:

http://files.filefront.com/head_tut2zip/;5277282;;/fileinfo.html

a bit iffy on the polygon structure of the nose, but the end result looks nice enough

damn mod removed my signature, lol, ah well, i'll have to make a new one...

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it's larger than 600x120...
SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2006 00:09
Yeah, my signature has been removed too.

Your signature has been erased by a mod
Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2006 00:44
any one have a good one for blender.

Jon Fletcher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2006 04:42
nah, ive never used blender, surely there must be something somewhere

but then again, it comes down to one thing, how you actually made it, not the program, you can study the concept and use relevant tools in a different program just in the same style of modelling (dragging off edges, welding vertices, etc.

Havok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2006 04:50
Wow, this is really helpful, mine is coming out great! Are you working on the mouth part? Actually, are you gonna finish the whole thing, because it would really help me alot! This is the best head tutorial I have seen yet! Thanks a million man. BTW, nice sig!

I know Karate, Kung Fu, and 47 other dangerous words...
Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2006 04:52
true I will check your tutorial out. I need sleep now though.

RF

Jon Fletcher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2006 05:10 Edited at: 20th Jul 2006 05:51
i'll finish off the mouth tommorow, its late over here, i'll also show a little technique on eyelids i learnt from ben mathis

Quote: "BTW, nice sig!"

thanks, though i find it a little too sharp for my liking, went overboard with the ps filter

EDIT:

testing new sig...

bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Whoah, never seen a head done that way before! Couldn't be more different than the way I do it. But I can see that it works, and that's all that matters.

----------------------------------------
"Your mom went to college."
My FPSC stuff at http://hyrumark.zftp.com/FPSC/hyrumarkfpsc.htm
SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2006 14:17
Bond, could you share with us, your way?
Jon Fletcher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2006 14:54
Quote: "Whoah, never seen a head done that way before!"

wah?? its done all the time, especially when it needs to be accurate to a reference picture, i find it ALOT easier than starting with a box, as you get to map out your own polygon flow

bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Really? It's pretty cool, I've just never seen it done that way. Can I ask where you learned to do it this way?

Most of the time I've either seen people start with a box, or a spline cage.

Higgins, I might do a quick head tutorial vid, just to give a different approach when I get a little free time.

----------------------------------------
"Your mom went to college."
My FPSC stuff at http://hyrumark.zftp.com/FPSC/hyrumarkfpsc.htm
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 20th Jul 2006 17:20
I would also be very interested to see your technique, Bond. Jon's technique seemed logical and simple enough to me, though I have no experience whatsoever.

Crazy Grandpa
Jon Fletcher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2006 17:43 Edited at: 20th Jul 2006 18:43
you dont need much experience to click and drag, its the reference that does the job for you, you just have to move the points up to the edges

Quote: "Can I ask where you learned to do it this way?
"

various tutorials on the internet, cant remember which, i just seen so many of them, it has become common to me, i remember there being how to make an orc face using this method, aswell as modelling angelina jolie's face, and of course, the only one where i can remember the site: psionic's generic game dude tutorial

if you want to see the box modelling approach, higgins, i suggest this tutorial...

http://www.mr-chompers.com/tutorial/video/head.zip

but try both methods, to see which is easier for you, there are both equally great ways of doing it

SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2006 18:35
Jon, do you use two plains to put the image on, or do you put the images as the background?

When I set it as the back ground, the faces never lined up right with snap to grid on, and with it off I kept on pulling the image out of line when I wanted to look at it.
Jon Fletcher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2006 18:50
use planes, and rotate them to fixed 90 degree angles, and when setting up the eye, make sure to align the plane, so that the middle of the face is on the '0' x co-ordinate, so that symmetry works as expected, for more information on setting up reference images, read this...

http://www.the-blueprints.com/index.php?tutorials/3dmax/

although its about a car, its still the same concept (front and side)

Havok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2006 04:28
Any updates on the tutorial Jon? Please don't think I am rushing you, it is just that this is a very easy method and I want to learn quickly because I am planning a possible pack with characters. So thanks in advance for any updates you make.

Jon Fletcher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2006 04:56 Edited at: 21st Jul 2006 05:36
finishing it now, its 10 mins long, yeh a bit much just for the mouth, but afterwards, i show some more on the eye, and how you can optimize it for easy eyelid animation (if you ever wanted to)

will be done soon, just compressing it...

edit:

ok, the files ready, problem is its very late here, and uploading it will take a long time, so i'll get a link for you guys later...

SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2006 00:00
Jon, When I set up the plains and add the texture, they dont line up, heh, maybe Iam being stupid and I just need to move one of the plains up a bit.

But the texture on the plains looks very low res, did you do it like that? Because what I see is like a 64x64 image when the texture is about 1024x1024.
Jon Fletcher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2006 00:34 Edited at: 22nd Jul 2006 00:37
well, first of all, just wack it on the front plane, then make the eyes to start, then set up the next side plane, by copying the front one and rotating and moving into place, because you have made the eyes already (doesnt matter about the depth) you can line the side up to the eyes

yeh, textures displayed in max viewport always degrade, i think its for saving memory for real-time editing, (im not sure if you can change it, ive never tried) but it isnt much of a problem, doesnt have to be very accurate

(uploading 3rd part now)

Jon Fletcher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2006 01:28 Edited at: 22nd Jul 2006 01:29
3rd part:

http://files.filefront.com/headtut3wmv/;5286581;;/fileinfo.html

keep in mind you can leave the eyes as they were, before the nifty variation, but the variation opens up possibilities in other engines, such as eye rotation and blinking rather than a static texture, but then again, in FPSC you wouldnt see those things anyway, its games like oblivion with human characteristics and manipulation for emotion and dynamic face actions

SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2006 03:05
In your videos Jon, the head images are detailed, when I set mine up, I can hardly see any of the detail to follow. Did you change a setting to get that?
Jon Fletcher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2006 03:50
im not sure, ive always had the occasional annoying degradation, i think its the resolution of the image or something, have you scaled it down, and the planes that you are putting them on, do they have the same length and width units as the number of pixels in the image?

SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2006 17:09
This is what I see and its quite annoying, but not as much as trying to think how to drag out the edges and get them looking like a face.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Jon Fletcher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2006 19:08
i honestly dont know, sorry, ive had these problems before, yet not as bad as that, ive searched all preferences and viewport settings and havnt got much hope, the only thing i noticed in the screen was that your grid was 10.0 , whereas mine is 100.0, that probably has little to do with the problem, but i get the impression its something to do with some sort of scaling

might have to research on this over at a more dedicated max forum, its confusing me very much aswell...

Havok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2006 17:51
Sorry if this is too far behind, but are you still working on this? Once again, don't think I am rushing you, but I finished the body of my first character and am working on the head, but I can't finish the head without more of this tutorial. Sorry for the constant requests.

SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2006 18:33
I got annoyed modelling the head this way, so I started with a capsule and got good results from it.
Jon Fletcher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2006 18:58
i dont really have the time right now, but this should conclude things:

http://www.psionic.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/tutorials/lowpoly/gmod3.html

shows you the rest with some annotations, and even from the beggining aswell.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 00:32:32
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 00:32:32