Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Help with http: code to check usernames DBP

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2006 00:41
Hello, I'm working on an MMO (yes I know there almost impossible on DBP), and was wondering how to go about the lookup of a users name and
password, and if correct do the loading, kind of like Second Life.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

What can games do for you?
www.getixinteractive.com
QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2006 05:45
Just connect to the server running your host program, send the username and password to the server, which the server will test against the database it has (however you want to store them), and then the server will send back a confirm / fail flag telling the program to go ahead and load. Simple.

It seems like you're trying to make your game in the order that you play it, as in starting with a password system. That makes no sense. You need to start from the ground up, and get a core going. Do you have a game engine ready? It would be easier to make that, then convert it to multiplayer, then to just try to do everything in order.

Getix Interactive
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2006 03:13
Quoth: But, do I use FTP? I can't get FTP to work on my computer for some reason. And would this just be a simple list? Like in an encrypted html file that would be downloaded and then checked against that html file? And, no, I do not have a core yet, just needed some help with the Username Password bit... And my website is hosted by freewebs, which at the moment, doesn't support FTP... and, any help with the actual code would help out a lot too, as I have not experimented with any multiplayer commands yet...
-Jim

www.getixinteractive.com
Getix Interactive
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2006 03:14
And I've had too much .... lol

www.getixinteractive.com
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2006 05:30
If dealing with HTTP requests, you might come across a need for working in Base64, this should help with that.
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=75214&b=6

It sounds more like you need a way to connect with an SQL server, that'd be the best way to store login info for MMO users.

"Using Unix is the computing equivalent of listening only to music by David Cassidy" - Rob Pike
Jay Bee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2006 15:19
You're thinking about this in a strange way IMO. Personally I would just make a simple program to run on a server (just a PC would do for testing at this stage), which has the usernames and respective passwords stored in an array, and just sends yes/no flags back to your MMO program...

Your signature has been erased by a mod - 404kb is a little large, don't you think? Nope not really, but heh, ur the boss
QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2006 06:33
You wont be able to do it with Freewebs. Making an MMO is an impossibility for the average DB user because (other than idiocy and obvious inbreeding) it costs money to run a server that can support an online game. And it's complicated.

You'd need to get a server that can run a program that acts as your host that all other programs connect to by IP address using DBP's net commands. You could make DBP talk to a PHP script and send and recieve variables from an SQL table that you've set up on your webspace (gonna have to actually buy that, Freewebs wont do it), but then you wouldn't be able to do anything, becuase you'd have no server to connect to to actually play the game. And of course, getting DBP to talk to an SQL table is something that would be quite difficult, and that I would have no idea how to do.

In short, you're literally completely doomed, but I don't want to get your hopes down.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-25 05:33:20
Your offset time is: 2024-09-25 05:33:20